72 reasons why Europa is BETTER than champions league.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

72 e) iiii) part 7) section 1

Tommy Carroll is going to become a world class player in the course of his majestic Europa League performances next season

72 e) iii) part 6) section 13

Our season isn't extended by silly play offs. Straight into the group stage motherfuckers

:dude:
Actually, we don't go straight into the group stages. We're the lowest seeded English club (because we didn't win a cup), so afaict, we'll have a one round playoff.

Only the FA cup winner goes straight into the group. And if the FA Cup winner is in the CL (like last year), then the highest non-CL league place takes that EL spot in the groups.

I think.

We're the lowest seeded English club (because we didn't win a cup)
This isn't true. Finishing fifth is worth more than winning the League Cup, as far as Europe is concerned. I think it plays out like this:

1. First – third in the PL => automatic group stages of CL
4. Fourth in PL => CL playoff
5. FA Cup winner => EL group stage
6. Fifth in PL => EL playoff
7. League Cup winner => EL playoff
(in some unclear order, but this might be right: FA Cup runner up, sixth in PL, LC runner up, seventh in PL)

So since Chelsea won the FA cup and were returning to the CL, the 5th highest spot was empty, so we moved up to the group stage. Newcastle then got into the playoff because both participants in the FA Cup final already had guaranteed European berths. It's interesting that Liverpool, as FA Cup runnersup, didn't pip us to the group stage.

Anyway, this is speculative.

Blimey, it's already confusing, and we're not even out of May!!!!!

Reason 72) sub-section 5, clause VII....

Realistically, we aren't gonna win the Champions League any time soon.....

But being the old school type of Neanderthal I am, who actually covets WINNING something above merely Qualifying for the Qualifying rounds of a jumped-up self-important competition, then yes, we DO have a decent chance of lifting the trophy of a competition we are in, rather than making up the numbers (and money!)

Gimme the UEFA CUP any day (I refuse to call it anything other) until such a day as we're in a genuine position to compete for something bigger, and apparently 'better'!!!

I thought everyone had to play a R1 two leg knockout in the Europa League?
Wikipedia explains it well.

The 48 (not 32) group stage spots are distributed thus:

Seven go to domestic cup winners (FA Cup winner in England's case)
31 to who advances from the previous round (the other two English spots)
10 to who fall into the groups from the CL playoffs (Woolwich, conceivably)

The only reason, again, we went straight into group stages last year was because the FA Cup winner (Chelsea) were already in the CL, and we were next in line.

24 clubs from the group stages advance, along with eight losers from the CL group stages to bring us to a power of two (32) to create a clean bracket.

Back
Top Bottom