'26 Shirt'

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Retire Number 26?

• Yes

Votes: 88 77.9%
  • No

Votes: 17 15.0%
  • TL; DR

Votes: 8 7.1%

• Total voters
Ive read several posts on various forums regarding this before, and some people get quite bitter about the idea, and start banging on about all the minutes of applause in football, and the fall out when Princess Diana died and other nonsense.

So yes, while it may not be in this thread, Ive read some shit.

sammyspurs said:
Ive read several posts on various forums regarding this before, and some people get quite bitter about the idea, and start banging on about all the minutes of applause in football, and the fall out when Princess Diana died and other nonsense.

so frontwheel gets the the brunt of it

88-o.gif

Thelonious said:
sammyspurs said:

1780549-shakehead.gif

I was replying to his devils advocate, rather than having a go at him......did you agree with anything else I wrote, or are you just trying to be like Smokedsalmon?

sammyspurs said:
I was replying to his devils advocate, rather than having a go at him......did you agree with anything else I wrote, or are you just trying to be like Smokedsalmon?
eh? I'm just having a laugh mate.

Ledley King for me is one of the greatest "what ifs" in sport. what if, he had not had his injury, just how good would he have been, would he have left, is he a better player because he had to change his game due to his knee and so on.

but the fact is we wont know if he would have joined man u, what we do know is he didn't. so any argument of, not wanting to retire his number because he may not have been loyal is invalid (cue picture).

personally i believe we should retire the number, as it is an obscure number, so it wont hurt the ego of anyone wanting the number 10 for instance and because this man has caused himself considerable pain all to help Tottenham Hotspur, when he could have easily become a pundit or coach (and possible spurs manager) had he retired years ago. but he fought through the pain and went under the knife countless times for and all he has had in return so far is one League cup.

so retiring his number is the least we should do, and i believe when the new stadium is build, we should name a stand after him.

Come on people... he isn't DEAD yet!

Give it to Caulker... it'll inspire him to greater things, surely??

Besides, we're probably only a year or so away from having to retire Gazza's Number 8 shirt... so one shirt at a time, eh?

sammyspurs said:
Thelonious said:
sammyspurs said:

1780549-shakehead.gif

What is this "devils advocate" of which you speak?

Don't really agree with retiring Ledley's (or anyone's) shirt. He's been a great servant of the club, but then so were Perryman, Hoddle, Blanchflower, Jennings, Ditchburn, Nicholson, Pratt, Gilzean, Duquemin, Burgess, Bailey and countless others. If we retire Ledleys, don't they all deserve the same treatment? :sandro:

Mind you, it would mean that no one would have 1-11 :avbshit:

Aleksic said:
Don't really agree with retiring Ledley's (or anyone's) shirt. He's been a great servant of the club, but then so were Perryman, Hoddle, Blanchflower, Jennings, Ditchburn, Nicholson, Pratt, Gilzean, Duquemin, Burgess, Bailey and countless others. If we retire Ledleys, don't they all deserve the same treatment? :sandro:

Mind you, it would mean that no one would have 1-11 :avbshit:

I think its more about the combination of the number 26 being a meaningless squad number (other than King himself wearing it), nobody would actually specifically want it, like a number ten. And the fact he has been crippling himself to play for us.
Unlike Perryman, Hoddle, Blanchflower, Jennings, Ditchburn, Nicholson, Pratt, Gilzean, Duquemin, Burgess, Bailey and countless others.

sammyspurs said:
...And the fact he has been crippling himself to play for us.
Unlike Perryman, Hoddle, Blanchflower, Jennings, Ditchburn, Nicholson, Pratt, Gilzean, Duquemin, Burgess, Bailey and countless others.

Well Bobby Smith for one was in the same position, and I'm sure there are other older pros who did serious damage to their health playing football.

I think that modern football sets it's standards too low. I mean Freund is in our hall of fame for goodness sake. :avbfacepalm:

Aleksic said:
sammyspurs said:
...And the fact he has been crippling himself to play for us.

Well Bobby Smith for one was in the same position, and I'm sure there are other older pros who did serious damage to their health playing football.

I think that modern football sets it's standards too low. I mean Freund is in our hall of fame for goodness sake. :avbfacepalm:

Low standards........regarding Ledley King? Fuck off.

Bobby Smith played in an era where most footballers ended up with very bad joints in later years. King played in an era of the very best medical knowledge in sports, and they still couldnt save his knee. Yet he played on for years, and suffered pain while doing so, risking his future health.

Its just a number 26 which will mean more to him, than it will to you. Its just a gesture...no one is asking you to pay more for a ticket to pay for him to go to DisneyLand.

Back
Top Bottom