'26 Shirt'

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Retire Number 26?

• Yes

Votes: 88 77.9%
  • No

Votes: 17 15.0%
  • TL; DR

Votes: 8 7.1%

• Total voters

Kris

Shelf Side Tottenham
Should the 26 Shirt be retired?

I say yes!
I doubt we will see a player with such a commitment to Tottenham and such a loyal servant to the club!

Don't get me wrong, I love the bloke but (just being devil's advocaat :) there's been just as loyal players (Perryman and Mabbut spring to mind).

Whilst I'd like to think he's loyal, if not for the injury problems, who's to say he wouldn't have gone to Man U, Spain or Italy at some stage?

[frontwheel ducks for cover]

Iv'e always thought it was common knowledge that he had those type of offers from Man Utd, and mainly Liverpool when he was younger before the knees, the club would have sold back then for the money but he stayed because he wanted to.

frontwheel said:
Don't get me wrong, I love the bloke but (just being devil's advocaat :) there's been just as loyal players (Perryman and Mabbut spring to mind).

Whilst I'd like to think he's loyal, if not for the injury problems, who's to say he wouldn't have gone to Man U, Spain or Italy at some stage?

How very dare you.

frontwheel said:

I'd like to think he wouldn't (I'm content to keep my blinders on). Either way it's a silly debate because I doubt people are lining up to wear 26. I think that if he had worn 10- there would be an issue.

frontwheel said:

:adestare: :adestare: :bmj: :bmj: :bmj: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :bmj: :bmj: :bmj: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :bmj: :bmj: :bmj: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :bmj: :bmj: :bmj: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :bmj: :bmj: :bmj: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :bmj: :bmj: :bmj: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :bmj: :bmj: :bmj: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :bmj: :bmj: :bmj: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :bmj: :bmj: :bmj: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :bmj: :bmj: :bmj: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :bmj: :bmj: :bmj: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :bmj: :bmj: :bmj: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :bmj: :bmj: :bmj: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :bmj: :bmj: :bmj: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :bmj: :bmj: :bmj: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :bmj: :bmj: :bmj: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :bmj: :bmj: :bmj: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :bmj: :bmj: :bmj: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :bmj: :bmj: :bmj: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :bmj: :bmj: :bmj: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :bmj: :bmj: :bmj: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :bmj: :bmj: :bmj: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :bmj: :bmj: :bmj: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :bmj: :bmj: :bmj: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :bmj: :bmj: :bmj: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :bmj: :bmj: :bmj: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :bmj: :bmj: :bmj: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :bmj: :bmj: :bmj: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :bmj: :bmj: :bmj: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :bmj: :bmj: :bmj: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :bmj: :bmj: :bmj: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :bmj: :bmj: :bmj: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :bmj: :bmj: :bmj: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :bmj: :bmj: :bmj: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :bmj: :bmj: :bmj: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :bmj: :bmj: :bmj: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :bmj: :bmj: :bmj: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :adestare: :bmj: :bmj: :bmj: :adestare:

No Frontwheel that is a very valid point.
I do also agree that if we has 100% fit through-out his career money may have pulled him away from Spurs, but I'm grateful he has stayed at Tottenham and I think we should retire the 26 shirt as, A) it's an obscure number, B) 16 years is still a long career at one club.

Just my thoughts.

BainsXIII said:
Iv'e always thought it was common knowledge that he had those type of offers from Man Utd, and mainly Liverpool when he was younger before the knees, the club would have sold back then for the money but he stayed because he wanted to.
sounds like urban legend to me mate....

I'd name the club after him personally :king: . The guy will always be my most loved player as long as I live and it has been a privilege to watch the freak of nature boss it crippled like it was easy. Will name my first born after him, girl or boy, don't give a shit. GodSaveTheKing.

Ramsingh said:
No Frontwheel that is a very valid point.
I do also agree that if we has 100% fit through-out his career money may have pulled him away from Spurs, but I'm grateful he has stayed at Tottenham and I think we should retire the 26 shirt as, A) it's an obscure number, B) 16 years is still a long career at one club.

Just my thoughts.

I like this post a lot.

GodSaveTheKing said:
I'd name the club after him personally :king: . The guy will always be my most loved player as long as I live and it has been a privilege to watch the freak of nature boss it crippled like it was easy. Will name my first born after him, girl or boy, don't give a shit. GodSaveTheKing.
Me too for a boy. For a girl it's gotto be Sandra. What a striker!

Is it me or does anyone else feel we may be jumping the gun with this thread? No announcement yet.

frontwheel said:

No one asking to re-name a stand after him. It cracks me up the big hoo haa against retiring the 26 shirt, like its some iconic number in football, or Spurs.

King made it iconic for Spurs, and its just a small gesture to show some respect for the chronic physical strain he's put his body through in order to play for us. Why the fuck would anyone object if no other player ever had 26 on their back for us?

As for the question of him leaving, you could say that about anyone. Why sing a players name....they might leave.

sammyspurs said:
frontwheel said:

No one asking to re-name a stand after him. It cracks me up the big hoo haa against retiring the 26 shirt, like its some iconic number in football, or Spurs.

King made it iconic for Spurs, and its just a small gesture to show some respect for the chronic physical strain he's put his body through in order to play for us. Why the fuck would anyone object if no other player ever had 26 on their back for us?

As for the question of him leaving, you could say that about anyone. Why sing a players name....they might leave.
Is there?

Back
Top Bottom