2011/2012 vs 2012/2013

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Recently we have been swinging back and forth when it comes to matching last season's total, whenever we gain points we seem to lose them and when we lose them one week we gain in another.

The 2-2 draw away to Wigan means we dropped 2 points, this was a mighty cock up in my eyes, opportunities to gain extra points is running out so we must defend points against teams we beat last season.

At this point we are at 0 and perhaps on course to equal last season's 69 points total which unfortunately will probably not be good enough for the hotly contested top 4. We need something like +3 points and a total of 72 to be in contention and even then we may miss out on goal difference.

Things as they look now: 4 games, 12 points available. 7 points required to equal last season. 10+ points to have a real chance of top 4 (in my opinion).

So where do we gain the extra points?

Chelsea away gives us a chance to nab an extra 2 and Stoke away offers a juicy 3 points. Points in those games are only really "gained" if we beat teams we did last season so no pressure going into our 2 remaining home games against Southampton and Sunderland.

Recently we have been swinging back and forth when it comes to matching last season's total, whenever we gain points we seem to lose them and when we lose them one week we gain in another.

The 2-2 draw away to Wigan means we dropped 2 points, this was a mighty cock up in my eyes, opportunities to gain extra points is running out so we must defend points against teams we beat last season.

At this point we are at 0 and perhaps on course to equal last season's 69 points total which unfortunately will probably not be good enough for the hotly contested top 4. We need something like +3 points and a total of 72 to be in contention and even then we may miss out on goal difference.

Things as they look now: 4 games, 12 points available. 7 points required to equal last season. 10+ points to have a real chance of top 4 (in my opinion).

So where do we gain the extra points?

Chelsea away gives us a chance to nab an extra 2 and Stoke away offers a juicy 3 points. Points in those games are only really "gained" if we beat teams we did last season so no pressure going into our 2 remaining home games against Southampton and Sunderland.

Extra points compared to last season mean nothing now. You seem to be suggesting that, for example, because we lost at Stoke last season, it makes it easier for us to finish fourth this year, which obviously is incorrect. At the end of the day, we have four matches left, and we need to win 3 of them to give ourselves a chance.

Extra points compared to last season mean nothing now. You seem to be suggesting that, for example, because we lost at Stoke last season, it makes it easier for us to finish fourth this year, which obviously is incorrect. At the end of the day, we have four matches left, and we need to win 3 of them to give ourselves a chance.

I started this thread early in the season to show how AVB was doing fixture-to-fixture compared to last season, I kept hearing "at this point last season Spurs had X amount of points more than this season". The idea was to show that fixture-to-fixture we were actually doing ok.

As the season has progressed the focus has been top 4 and the points required. With 69 points last season the general consensus was that equalling such a total would put us in good contention for the top 4 and anything above that total would be welcomed, the thinking was that if we could win the games we won last season and gain points that we dropped last season we would get a good points total and probably top 4. As you can see in a similar thread 68 points was a total that was considered good for top 4, obviously now we know that is not the case and equalling last season's points total is not enough either.

Ultimately what I was suggesting was that if we got 69 points last season and got top 4 despite losing to Stoke, this season if we still obtained 69 points from 37 games and beat Stoke we would have 72 points and a great chance of top 4. Now looking at it the Stoke game is no longer a bonus, we must beat them just to have a chance.

Back
Top Bottom