2011/2012 vs 2012/2013

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ok so I am bored at work and decided to take a look at our results last season compared to the season so far.

Before I start I know this actually means very little in the grand scheme of things but I think it is some interesting data.

I have assigned the promoted/relegated team as follows:

West Ham = Bolton
Reading = Wolves
Southampton = Blackburn

Rather than posting all the results I will just focus on the differing results.

Man United Away - A win where we previously lost +3 points
Newcastle Away - A loss where we previously drew -1 point
Chelsea Home - A loss where we previously drew -1 point
West Brom Home - A draw where we previously won -2 points
Wigan Home - A loss where we previously won -3 points
Norwich Home - A draw where we previously lost +1 point

Points total -3

Obviously not great, the WBA and Wigan games have really hurt us but you have to remember we have a lot of games coming up where we have the opportunity to better our results.

Below I have highlighted some fixtures where we should have done better last season.

Stoke Home 1-1 draw potential +2 points
Stoke Away 2-1 loss potential +3 points
QPR Away 1-0 loss potential +3 points
Sunderland Away 0-0 draw potential +2 points
Reading/Wolves Home 1-1 draw potential +2 points
Villa Away 1-1 draw potential +2

If we equal our other results and better our poor results from last season we could be looking at a total of +11 points! (+14 potential points -3 from bad results this season)

It's all could, would, should but we certainly have the potential to equal and better last seasons point total.

You can get the full spreadsheet here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmqFKK3dLJ2KdGI5dnlXRnAwRzRXb2MtanNmM2RWMkE&pli=1#gid=0

COYS

Edit - Corrected West Brom from loss to draw
Edit 2 - Added spread sheet

Wigan at home were some seriously stupid points to drop, it's fine though - we'll :smesh: away from home.

Last year at this point, we had played some really exciting football, although the majesty of it was hyped up well beyond reality by the press and many of our fans. This year at this point, we've played a lot of fairly uninspiring stuff although the cluelessness of it has been hyped up beyond reality by the press and many of our fans. We're basically not as good as we were last December but less likely to take such a humiliating tumble as last February.

I guess Levy will have to decide whether he will accept a "transitional" season or not. As it looks right now, we need a pretty amazing second half to our campaign to compete for a top four finish. Not because we're so many points behind, but because we look so unstable, capable of losing or winning against any team. Should our erratic form continue we could end up with 12-15 defeats, and I dont really see that being good enough. :klinsmann: Let's hope we end up being the team to break away from that pack chasing fourth right now.

I guess Levy will have to decide whether he will accept a "transitional" season or not. As it looks right now, we need a pretty amazing second half to our campaign to compete for a top four finish. Not because we're so many points behind, but because we look so unstable, capable of losing or winning against any team. Should our erratic form continue we could end up with 12-15 defeats, and I dont really see that being good enough. :klinsmann: Let's hope we end up being the team to break away from that pack chasing fourth right now.

Why does it need an amazing second half of the season to be in contention? I'd say we haven't had an amazing start but we're still in contention. We need some consistency and to stop the stupid defeats and late goal conceding, thats all.

I think we are right on track, AVB inherited a significantly weaker team, we're joint 4th, managed to get out of the group stages in EL and are showing a lot of potential. I for one am quite happy with the way things are going, and I honestly do like AVB as our manager too

Why does it need an amazing second half of the season to be in contention? I'd say we haven't had an amazing start but we're still in contention. We need some consistency and to stop the stupid defeats and late goal conceding, thats all.
That's all? I would say that's asking quite a lot, and if it happens it would be amazing.

There's an excellent blog over at GG by one of the admins there on this.

http://www.glory-glory.co.uk/entry.php?2411-Season-11-12-and-12-13-Fixture-Comparison

ZpoCf.jpg

*For the purpose of comparison Reading replaces Bolton, Southampton replaces Blackburn and West Ham replaces Wolves

i may receive some comments to the effect of "if you dont like what you read, then don't come here" but seriously, i am getting sick of the constant fickleness of spurs fans and the comparison of this year to previous year type threads. Perhaps too many people have too much time on their hands during the working week, but there seems to be an awful lot of negativity that comes from Spurs fans who post on this site.

Granted, I'm not one of the old firm who was born in the UK, but I have been following spurs since the early noughties, and passionately for the last four to five years. Maybe over time my soul will be worn down by the consistent under achieving (however, my Australian Football Team - st kilda - personifies all these characteristics too).

AVB should be left to do his job, and if Daniel Levy is as shrewd a businessman as we think he is, then he should be giving AVB at least four years to work his magic.

People through various posts etc have proven that

a) AVB is a great man manager
b) AVB cares about his team
c) AVB knows more then a thing or two about football and strategy

I would safely say that AVB trumps old arry in all of those categories.

moral of this drunken rant, is that if even an aussie from 10,000 miles away can say that AVB needs to be given time to work his magic and turn an already good team into a great team, then why the fuck cant the majority of spurs fan in UK and who post in this form see that as well?

#AVB 44more
#doubtersOUT

Last year at this point, we had played some really exciting football, although the majesty of it was hyped up well beyond reality by the press and many of our fans. This year at this point, we've played a lot of fairly uninspiring stuff although the cluelessness of it has been hyped up beyond reality by the press and many of our fans. We're basically not as good as we were last December but less likely to take such a humiliating tumble as last February.

The manager isn't likely to go to England / prison / his deathbed this time around.......

which means we can buy players for proper transfer fees on proper contracts instead of looking to short term fixes like Saha and Nelsen.

This January is a test of Daniel Levy's ambitions, AVB's managerial abilities are almost incidental - the Chairman HAS to back him as it looks like we are still going to have a real chance of 3rd place by the time the window opens.

No Modric, VDV, King.
Without Kaboul, BAE, Adebayor, Parker for extended periods of time

The majority of the spine of the side is different. We are just off Top 4 and still gelling as a team. All signs are there we will get better rather than get worse.

Our form after Feb was a nightmare, if AVB does worse than that I will be amazed. I don't think we can have too much to moan about right now.

For me, this isn't about negativity, but just realising (as has been mentioned) that our team looks very different this year. Top four this seaon would be a brilliant achievement, but I dont think we look ready right now.

The festive period is now over, we gained 10 points from a possible 12 which is fantastic for any club in the premier league.

During this period we crossed over into the second half of the season, the stat I kept hearing was that Spurs were 9 points better off this time last season, the pundits clearly failed to take differing fixtures into account.

It is very interesting that all 4 games in the festive pileup represented a chance to better our results from last year. Stoke home, Villa away, Sunderland away and Reading(Wolves) home were all drawn games last year and whilst we once again failed to take all 3 points vs Stoke, we did manage to win the next three games and gain a massive 6 points more than we did last season.

The next 2 PL fixtures represent further chances to gain, we got 0 points from QPR away and Man United at home last season.

Back
Top Bottom