1882 Section??

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Abbey Yid said:
AlMacca_ said:
100% the £10 tickets with a shit team. You would get the "hardcore", if you want, attending, and by hardcore I mean the fans that go home and away to take the piss out of the opposition and have a day on the piss.
I agree to a certain extent, but then part of me thinks you could easily follow a lower-league team, because that seems to be guys on the lash who don't really care about the quality of the football.

On the other hand, if I were to support Orient for example, i'd never experience games like Milan at the Lane where the atmosphere gave me goosebumps, where I feel like i'm getting value for money.

I think just reading through some of these posts it's clear (to me, at least) that there probably isn't a definitive answer to why atmosphere is getting worse. Rising alcohol costs? Rising travel costs? Being a nutter becoming less socially acceptable? Older fans? Younger fans? Sky? Fuck knows. All I know is I can't fucking wait for Thursday!

Very valid points. I'd miss European nights like Milan massively, no lower league atmosphere would ever come close to that. But that has been one of the only times I've ever really felt like I've got my moneys worth from a game. I felt it for all the home CL games and a handful of PL games over the years.

You're right there, there really isn't a defining reason. All those points you put across do play a part some more than others. Likewise, roll on Thursday!

Carlito Brigante said:
No idea, they were a bunch of fucking melts anyway.

I dont buy into this "we are replacable" argument. The 20K waiting list is a load of old bollocks. apparently takeup on STs down the list is about 1 in 5. The club like to perpetuate the myth to stop people walking. People want the option to buy early with a bronze thats all.

Our fanbase is nowhere near as thick as we would love to believe. So our way of trying to drum up support is to send 600 people to the lane at a fiver a pop. All levy sees is 3K extra in the back pocket, where we should be hurting him.

Nothing changes without a bit of pain. We will be here post Levy....hopefully sooner rather than later.

You're right about the season ticket list. Either some people can't front the money when they get the opportunity or they don't want to. As witnessed in some games when tickets go on general sale and nobody buys them. It's because there is a huge chunk of support out there that will only latch onto the club if we're top four. And that's what I mean by replaceable. When there is demand, nobody at Spurs is going to care about John Smith, 15 years season ticket holder if he stops going because Greg Glory hunter is going to jump all over his seat.

AlMacca_ said:
sammyspurs said:
I dont remember anyone not wanting the team to improve in 2002

When I was 8 (in 2002) of course I wanted us to be the best team in the world. But as I grew older I realised more and more what I wanted from Spurs and football in general.

Of course they're only my views.

With the greatest respect, a club like Spurs, who strive to reach the Glory and traditions of our proud past, is probably not the right club for someone who wants mediocre to shit football where tickets cost 10 quid.

Just a thought.

sammyspurs said:
AlMacca_ said:
sammyspurs said:
I dont remember anyone not wanting the team to improve in 2002

When I was 8 (in 2002) of course I wanted us to be the best team in the world. But as I grew older I realised more and more what I wanted from Spurs and football in general.

Of course they're only my views.

With the greatest respect, a club like Spurs, who strive to reach the Glory and traditions of our proud past, is probably not the right club for someone who wants mediocre to shit football where tickets cost 10 quid.

Just a thought.

So because I'd rather pay £10 or a ticket watching average football than £50 watching superstars at Spurs, I should just stop supporting them now? Wow. We clearly have very different opinions on football so it's probably best if we just leave it.

57 varieties said:
sammy spurs!
the true support is the support the club dont want at the lane.. there the hardcore that dont buy merchandise in the club shop & dont/wont conform to the sit down shut up ideals!
many if not banned or are on banning orders for absolutley no reason yet still turn up matchday & sit in selected hostelries around the area.. on matchday theres more cctv between lordship lane & the north circ than on the whole of oxford street .. tell the club to stop discriminating against the part of its support that makes the atmosphere & you might get some noise again at the lane.

Tell the club to stop discriminating? May I ask why all this "true support" got banned?

[nsfw]
cleavage-cleavage-power-hypnotic-boobs-epic-bikini-boobs-tit-demotivational-poster-1243599283.jpg
[/nsfw]

AlMacca_ said:
So because I'd rather pay £10 or a ticket watching average football than £50 watching superstars at Spurs, I should just stop supporting them now? Wow. We clearly have very different opinions on football so it's probably best if we just leave it.

No, I never said you should stop supporting Spurs. No offence intended at all by my post mate either. But this is the cost of supporting Spurs....we'd all rather pay 10 quid, but we cant.

I still dont see why you cant sing if you paid 40 quid.

I'll also say again that the "hardcore" are quite happy to spend 2/300 quid on an away day though....

No one answered my question about red action. They wanted people to sing, they wanted more tifo in the stadium. Why, again, is that bad, and why should we react with sublime aversion if 1882 is compared to that? Now that I've read a bit about them, they seem to have carved a section of the stadium out for themselves, where they can whoop it up.

In other threads, we salivate about the "new football" tifo we see in the MLS and fap ourselves to sleep dreaming of a supporters section at the NDP where we can behave like the Americans. So what am I missing? I'm not taking the piss; im genuinely interested.

Eperons

I think we laughed at the gooners when we had a real home atmosphere to be proud of. That was only 6yrs ago which is why I dont get all the price hike excuses....but thats another issue.

It would be fucking great to have an 1882 section recognized by the club at the new WHL, and it would work, because we still have good home fans.

The gooner thing was mocked, and rightly so, because they are so lame at it. Thats the only reason.

I think the people mocking 1882 think its a bit silly, or not tough enough or should be done at home games...yet typically when things like this happen, they dont actually bring anything to the table, other than critique.

My two pence on it.

sammyspurs said:
AlMacca_ said:

No, I never said you should stop supporting Spurs. No offence intended at all by my post mate either. But this is the cost of supporting Spurs....we'd all rather pay 10 quid, but we cant.

I still dont see why you cant sing if you paid 40 quid.

I'll also say again that the "hardcore" are quite happy to spend 2/300 quid on an away day though....

OK fair enough mate I must have interpreted it wrongly.

I don't remember saying you can't sing, it's just noticeably got worse and worse, whether that's due to prices or not I don't know.

They tend to base their entire life around Spurs. For example Newcastle away a lot of the fans go up their for the weekend and mainly a night or 2 in the toon. When you take that into consideration 2/300 doesn't seem like such an abnormal price.

sammyspurs said:
The gooner thing was mocked, and rightly so, because they are so lame at it. Thats the only reason.
Yet they've managed to build up something (based on their webpage), even if that's "just" a section for themselves at the Emirates.

So the caution above (from 57 Varieties, iirc) to not become like red action is merely a warning not to become lame? I'm fucking cool as shit. That's never going to be a concern.

I want to be able to support the club vocally, in a way that is traditional and representative of the type of fan that has always followed Tottenham. Match days recently have been a travesty, full of people who believe that following your club is simply about spending money. They want success, and to see the players they adore scoring goals and beating players, rather than simply trying to reprisent the football club in the best way they can... by just trying. The modern day fan boos Jenas for running on the pitch, forgives Modric because he plays well, wants Berbatov back because we need a striker.

I applaud what Red Action are about because fundamentally they want back at Woolwich what any football fan should want for their club: a bit of passion. The fact that they are utter mongs and went about the whole process the wrong way is besides the point.

Simply, and there really is nothing more to it, we want to go along and follow our football club without being distracted by the utter cunts that frequent the Lane currently. We'll sing for 90 mins because that is what a decent football fan does.

If you don't want that then don't come, fuck off. Attend Norwich at home and winge and bitch until fulltime then boo until your heart is content, but you're not Tottenham, not what I recognise as Tottenham, you're what I recognise as a cancer to football, a blight on traditionalism and bastion for the modern game.

I'm sure, in the aftermath, there will be critics of what we're trying to do. But then, we could do nothing. We could ourselves sit in an ivory tower and chuckle at those around them that are at least doing something. But fuck that, fuck being that person.

'There used to be a football club over there...' never has this been more relevant.

Carlito Brigante said:
So our way of trying to drum up support is to send 600 people to the lane at a fiver a pop. All levy sees is 3K extra in the back pocket, where we should be hurting him.

Nothing changes without a bit of pain. We will be here post Levy....hopefully sooner rather than later.

Where's the wanker smiley gone?

Irving Scholar used to have an electronic board on the wall of his office at WHL that counted each person going through the turnstiles.

We're a Public Limited Company - it's all about the financial returns; players are staff & fans are consumers.

At least the 1882 Section will be real supporters rather than those fans who expect Playstation football and think the team aren't trying hard enough and that's why we aren't the champions.

AlMacca_ said:
OK fair enough mate I must have interpreted it wrongly.

Reading back, its obvious why you thought that, so apologies....! :beer:

AlMacca_ said:
sammyspurs said:

They tend to base their entire life around Spurs. For example Newcastle away a lot of the fans go up their for the weekend and mainly a night or 2 in the toon. When you take that into consideration 2/300 doesn't seem like such an abnormal price.

That I get, but it does kind of put to bed the vocal fans are being priced out argument though.....its not that people cant afford to go to WHL, its that they prefer away days.

Flav said:
'There used to be a football club over there...' never has this been more relevant.

This is true....this 1882 game couldnt have come at a better time. Our new manager and signings will get to see that our fanbase isnt just a load of pricks.

Can you lot pleeeease get the "If you're booing Tottenham Hotspur your a cunt" chant going, and hopefully it gets taken away to Reading, then Villa at home.

Fucking wish I was going

Back
Top Bottom