100% Angeball, or adapt during the game? Which are you?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What's your preferred style of play?

• Total voters
of course you need to adapt. you do what it takes to win a game of football. the only sides that have been good enough to play one way is city and barcelona back in the day. everyone else has come up against a better footballing side than themselves and have had to adapt to compete.

theres a great sense of achievement in winning games of football in different ways. thats what managing the side is supposed to be all about. outwitting your counterpart and getting maximum out of what you have in all scenarios.

I feel our system is completely reliant on every part being flawless. One player not quite on it and we are exposed. Especially around number 6. Biss has been off it since returning from AFCON and probably before after getting sent of etc. our full backs lack a little defensively at times but that will always be a slight compromise. Again if they’re not 100% supported they can be ‘found out’. I hope we see progression next season with a couple more Ange signings, a couple moved on and an ability to change a little when we are tactically exposed.

Which game was that a factor in?

Wolves away was a late winner, but we were uncharacteristically negative in that game.

Everton away is the only 1 I can think of.

Erm, all the games we play when we score late winners especially. We keep attacking rather than getting the ball as far away from the goal as possible. Drives me mad.

Im with ange. First season is to lay a foundation then kick on next season. He still needs to get rid of the dross in the squad. Next season for me is full on. Top 4 or at least title tilt and a trophy.

I think more Ange ball!! More more more!!
But faster. Maybe it’s down to personnel, do we need faster attackers?
If we stop with the slow pondering shit and try faster attacks… with lord forbid a few shots from outside the box we can beat most teams…
The only thing I think that concerns me is that we have a lot of players who don’t seem to want to win their 50/50’s. Desire beats skill in this league 95 times out of 100.

Have a watch of Carragher's analysis of Villa beating the scum. It is basically how we play. Moving the ball slowly at the back trying to get teams to pull themselves out of formation. Trouble is, we dont then move the ball quick enough further up the pitch. Villa did that v the scum.

It is a good video and worth searching out it it is on youtube etc.

I think the biggest issue with our attack and defence is the forward line. They don’t retain the ball well enough, pass and move through the opposition nor press well enough to prevent counters.

I remember peak Liverpool with Mane, Firmino and Salah (when he was at his best) the way they could play a crazy high line and simply overwhelm the opposition due to the players and system fitting perfectly.

If I am brutally honest to get to the level we need to be to play this system we probably need two more elite attackers. A very defined system needs a very defined set of players and we are probably short 2 elites in the forward area and at least 1 more elite player in the central mid.

I wonder how many of the people wanting us to shut up shop were howling at Conte a year ago for... err... shutting up shop.
Nah. Contes Spurs never tried to control the game or even have the football. Newcastle beat us with 27% of the ball. It was effectively a Conte wet dream. It's not that binary, we can be an attacking side but we can also be pragmatic when it suits us. I love a coach who can seamlessly switch and adjust his system when required . It doesn't have to be either or.

I think the biggest issue with our attack and defence is the forward line. They don’t retain the ball well enough, pass and move through the opposition nor press well enough to prevent counters.
our forward line is proper, proper shit. its somehow avoided getting the attention it deserves for being sooo shit.

just like the defence was our weakest area a couple years ago, weve sorted that. now its the front line that needs major work. none of them are good enough to be starting for us if we are serious. liverpool have salah and diaz who shit all over all of our attackers, yet have still been let down trying to carry one donkey in nunez.

Angeball may work in the EPL
BUT
Defo it won't work with current squad. Wermer ain't good enough neither are Richy and Kuku. Son has dropped a level or two in the last couple of seasons, the mid is average, slow don't provide sufficient cover to the defence.

Yeah its weird. Most elite teams are adaptable. Including Pep's City - he's altered his side to be much more robust to reflect modern football, with lots of athletes. He used to be all about the techno-midgets and possession only. His City team have had many evolutions, they're very different from the Sane & Sterling side as well.

And Pep is very happy to utilise lots of central defenders and make games a bore-fest, his City team are very low risk. Look at how Emery manages his team. People act like being modern/progressive is about very high lines and risk vs reward only but it isn't. Even Klopp realised the hell for leather approach was exhausting across a season and his best sides became much better at ball retention.
This is actually common sense.

People with straight head kept saying we need to learn to adapt after that cursed Chelsea game.

Playing only one style do or die in the EPL is foolish.

People with straight head kept saying we need to learn to adapt after that cursed Chelsea game.

I genuinely think/ believe Ange knows it will need adapting. If he genuinely can't see the issues are more than 'do the same stuff better' then he isn't as smart as he seems. He must see the issues on set pieces, the issues with ball progression that have got worse not better, that opposing teams are changing shape to nullify our overloads in the center with the inverted fullbacks. And that better screening of the centerbacks from one deep midfielder is vital if we are going to build a platform to conceded fewer goals.

Last edited:

I think people believe that being 'pragmatic' is going straight to Conte-style. It isn't. It used to wind me up so much when Jose was described as pragmatic, he wasn't. He was as wedded to his low-block shite as its possible to get, even when it handicapped his teams.

Conte was the least pragmatic guy going - one system, one style, hope to perfect it. Never change much no matter who you play and let average sides control the ball and game. Hated it, not only was it boring but ineffective.

our forward line is proper, proper shit. its somehow avoided getting the attention it deserves for being sooo shit.

just like the defence was our weakest area a couple years ago, weve sorted that. now its the front line that needs major work. none of them are good enough to be starting for us if we are serious. liverpool have salah and diaz who shit all over all of our attackers, yet have still been let down trying to carry one donkey in nunez.

We are one goal away from conceding 50 premier league goals. 50. I have no idea how you class that as sorted.

We don't have the players to play Angeball, we are shit in possession and cought out of position too much for the tactics to work. By now I think we shoud go defensive and give some players better than Johnson and Werner to Ange next season. If he fails then it's on him, but by now we simply doesn't have the typo of player that are dangerous enough when we are in control of the game.

We are one goal away from conceding 50 premier league goals. 50. I have no idea how you class that as sorted.
we dont play 5 at the back with only one competent defender..... its a big upgrade on that!

maybe if we had a front 3 that could actually keep the ball, the defence wouldnt get as hammered.

Back
Top Bottom