100% Angeball, or adapt during the game? Which are you?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What's your preferred style of play?

• Total voters
None of the above......I'm a 3 points every game kind of person in the first instance followed by an attractive attacking style if the result isn't going in our favour.

I can put up with shit Contrinho style of play if we win all the time but much prefer Angeball over those two arsewipes any day of the week and he deserves at least the same amount of time to fuck up or succeed as they did.

Of more concern is the apparent lack of effort from some players is creeping in.

I voted for defensive shut up shop but I do not want it fully defensive. We still need to attack, even with a lead but we can back off a bit. If it's 2-1 with 15 minutes left, keep the front and 2 midfielders pressing but have a DM and the backline not come up so high.

I know it's more complicated than that but a mix of being aggressive in areas but also backing off in areas would be way better than full on pressing.

Brisbane ange-ball = good to watch
Yokohama ange-ball = pulsating
Celtic Ange-ball = fast & direct; nice

Spurs Ange-ball = something has gone wrong

n7k20s1outn31.jpg

Its wrong to say we don't adapt during the game. Many times when we have the lead, Ange will bring on Hojbjerg / Skipp to provide more stability in midfield.

There are flaws in the system of play. We have an xGA of 56 - more than double that of Woolwich and puts us 13th in the league - thankfully our defence has OVER PERFORMANCE and reduced that to mean we are only 5th in goals conceded.

So, we are allowing far too many chances for the other team to score - the trade off is that we are creating more chances for ourself right? - Not quite. We have actually also overachieved in front of goal too.

So, we don't create enough chances, and we allow too many chances at our own goal. Had we not overachieved in these areas, we would be on 48 points, in 9th.

So clearly, the system needs to be tweaked. Our shape out of possession is very poor, and we are too slow to progress the ball up the pitch to take advantage of our speedy forwards. Adding a world class number 6 goes a long way to solve this problem.

Of more concern is the apparent lack of effort from some players is creeping in.
Yes. Just like Conte spoke about. The lack of desire to win is systemic throughout the whole club. It's infectious, endemic and part of the club's ethos running from the top down.
Wether its Angeball, joseball, conteball or harryball won't change the inevitable.

It’s worth going back and reading this which I’m sure was posted in the summer and is a good summary of how his teams have played through his career (and broken down simply for people like me who need it).

It kind of goes against the notion that he won’t adapt the team and change how he plays. I’m starting to wonder how much of the “I’ll do it my way, mate” statements in the press are a bit of a red herring and diversion from what is going on and what will happen in the future.

Which of his ex teams do you reckon we are now?

Pragmatism.

I don't subscribe to a view that players will always be able to do what is wanted by a manager and to the standard that is needed. It's an ideal fraught with the likelihood of failure.

So, whilst Postecoglou works towards his GOAL, he should have the sense to be pragmatic when it's called for.

Angeball or any other cock and bull title means fcuk all. The only thing of relevance is wingame.

Last edited:
Pragnatism.

I don't subscribe to a view that players will always be able to do what is wanted by a manager and to the standard that is needed. It's an ideal fraught with the likelihood of failure.

So, whilst Postecoglou works towards his GOAL, he should have the sense to be pragnatic when it's called for.

Angeball or any other cock and bull title means fcuk all. The only thing of relevance is wingame.
*spell check required?

I need a "Well, here's the thing..." option.

With THIS squad, he needs to be pragmatic.

IF he gets a solid DM, a top striker and maybe another out and out winger, then Angeball all the way baby.

I need a "Well, here's the thing..." option.

With THIS squad, he needs to be pragmatic.

IF he gets a solid DM, a top striker and maybe another out and out winger, then Angeball all the way baby.
I seem to recall though that when Conte needed specific top quality additions to make his system work, he was described as a fraud...

:contehmm:

I'm not unhappy with where we are in the league right now, but I'm very dubious about the performances, even in winning, we seem to be at a familiar fork in the road, where either performances will improve in line with the points we have been gathering, or our results will decline to be more in line with the poor performances we've been seeing...

Pessimism leads me to expect the latter.

Responding to dier. Seems exactly like what I thought.

It’s probably something you’d have to ask Eric, I don’t know what you mean by tactical work," replied the Spurs boss. "Everything we do is geared on how we are going to play our football. So for me by extension is tactical work. Whether that’s on us, or whether it’s on the opposition.

"In fact I would probably say we don’t do anything apart from tactical work. That’s all we do every day. If we’re working on our fitness, we’re still trying to play our football, but I haven’t seen the interview so I’m not sure what he’s referencing.

"If you’re talking about do we do training where we’re standing around and working on how we’re going to stop an opposition, how we’re going to break down, no we don’t do that, but I don’t think that’s the only kind of tactical work that exists. I think anyone who trains with us will tell you that all we do is train the way we play. Maybe that’s not tactical work, I don’t know!"

I seem to recall though that when Conte needed specific top quality additions to make his system work, he was described as a fraud...

:contehmm:

I'm not unhappy with where we are in the league right now, but I'm very dubious about the performances, even in winning, we seem to be at a familiar fork in the road, where either performances will improve in line with the points we have been gathering, or our results will decline to be more in line with the poor performances we've been seeing...

Pessimism leads me to expect the latter.

Historically Postecoglou has had major clean outs and been able to get who needs. I'm new to this forum so I'm getting picture that isn't necessarily going to happen this time, haha.

Historically Postecoglou has had major clean outs and been able to get who needs. I'm new to this forum so I'm getting picture that isn't necessarily going to happen this time, haha.
Genuinely don't know. Up until about a month ago, I would have said that we were in a good position to take advantage of other clubs being cautious of FFP this summer, but we're posting larger losses than rivals (not alarming ones, but never good).

I think we'll do our purchases after some sales, but hopefully we'll at least commit to one important new player early on. Looks like we'll move along at least 3 or 4.

Going into next season without fitting the team around Ange's need would be a kick in the nuts. I don't think we necessarily need to throw money at him ("BACK HIM!") just sell a couple and swap out other players for better fits to this system.

I'm hopeful (but that's what kills you).

I don't think there's a huge desire to see him booted amongst the fanbase, he's done well enough to deserve season 2 and unless something catastrophic happens in the final few games I'm sure he'll get it.

I'm just not hugely confident he will survive the full season next year, I'm not seeing enough green shoots and positives to feel that "just give it time" will actually lead to any great improvement myself.

Back
Top Bottom