πŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆ Cymru vs USA 7pm kick off ITV1 πŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆ

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Result predictions

• Total voters
I never said the result wasn’t fair but besides the penalty, Wales created nothing. Which was my point. I did not expect US to play that well but they did.

Have these highlights omitted any notable chances?

Otherwise:

USA - 2 chances > 1 goal.
Wales - 3 chances + 1 pen > 1 goal.

Have these highlights omitted any notable chances?

Otherwise:

USA - 2 chances > 1 goal.
Wales - 3 chances + 1 pen > 1 goal.

I forgot about the Davies header actually. That was a good shot for him.

We didn’t create anything despite controlling 45 minutes because of our lack of a striker. It’s pathetic watching crosses with no target waiting.

But I expected Wales to create chances, keep us under pressure and take advantage of Turner’s mistakes. They didn’t do any of that. They defended and couldn’t get out of their own half to start the game.

0.11 xG from open play says it all about their chances tonight.

Bottom line is US had one shot on target. 60% possession in the first half and one shot. Berhalter’s strategy is always to keep the ball and do fuck all with it. He’s an absolute dog shit manager. I think the result flatters the US a bit. If Wales would have come out hard from the start they would have scored a couple.

Seemed strange not to play Moore from the start, Dan James is really only any use coming on as an impact sub against tiring defence's.

Seemed strange not to play Moore from the start, Dan James is really only any use coming on as an impact sub against tiring defence's.

Yeah, personally I think Page got it the wrong way around. At least he fixed it though and we were much better for it in second half

if you are shooting at an open goal then it's an opportunity. If a player is the last man running through on goal and is fouled even if he's not attempting to shoot it's treated as as goal-scoring opportunity, would be a % chance on account that he's not attempting to shoot.

The rule is clear goalscoring opportunity not a goalscoring opportunity, you might as well give out red cards for players who are impeded when they are in the act of shooting if that's your logic then.

There's nothing clear about being 40 yards from goal

The rule is clear goalscoring opportunity not a goalscoring opportunity, you might as well give out red cards for players who are impeded when they are in the act of shooting if that's your logic then.

A clogger like me has scored 3 goals from my own half! One of which has the keeper in his 6yrd area.

Are you saying Bale isn’t capable of kicking a ball into an open goal from 40yrds?

When a player is running through on goal and is fouled as the last man, it’s deemed a red card, even if he’s not in the process of trying to attempt to shoot (score at that moment), yet a red is issued for denying a goal-scoring opportunity. (ergo he’s not trying to score but trying to get into a position to score).

A player fouled whilst actually trying to shoot/score (he was in the act of shooting) as the goal was completely open, is absolutely denied a goal-scoring opportunity. The player who fouled him thought this was a goal-scoring opportunity, it’s why he fouled him.

Last edited:
English teeth you say? We'll take our chances...

cfd1969762909497b81f279742186463.jpg

Why have you used a photo of a Welshman?

Yes - and 'clear' implies that there's nobody directly between the player about to shoot and the goal. This is obviously not the case if you're trying to lob the goalie from the halfway line.

A clogger like me has scored 3 goals from my own half! One of which has the keeper in his 6yrd area.

Are you saying Bale isn’t capable of kicking a ball into an open goal from 40yrs?

When a player is running through on goal and is fouled as last man, it’s deemed a red card, even if he’s not in the process of trying to attempt to shoot (score at that moment), yet a red is issued for denying a goal scoring opportunity. (ergo he’s not trying to score but trying to get into a position to score).

A player fouled whilst actually trying to shoot/score (he was in the act of shooting) as the goal was completely open, is absolutely denied a goal scoring opportunity. The player who fouled him thought this was a goal scoring opportunity, it’s why he fouled him.
it was plain for everyone to see on the pitch, and at home that the keeper had overcommitted, and the one player the USA didn't want picking up the ball was Bale. He was fouled, as like many, they thought he would have rifled a long shot in. So yes, it was a red, it wasn't a cynical foul to break up a passage of play (a yellow) but it was clear he was lining up to shoot in an open goal.

Whilst unlikely to have scored the red isn't issued on the basis of probability.

Personally I thought the ref had a shocking game. You only stop play for a head injury. The USA played the ref and he lost control. If he hadn't stopped play the first time a player sat on the floor they wouldn't have done it again. Too many times did they just sit on the floor. Someone at FIFA needs to review it, and remind the ref of the rules. I don't know if this was following the criticism of the head clash in the earlier game.

Just another mark against this tournament

Are you saying Bale isn’t capable of kicking a ball into an open goal from 40yrs?

When a player is running through on goal and is fouled as last man, it’s deemed a red card, even if he’s not in the process of trying to attempt to shoot (score at that moment), yet a red is issued for denying a goal scoring opportunity. (ergo he’s not trying to score but trying to get into a position to score).

A player fouled whilst actually trying to shoot/score (he was in the act of shooting) as the goal was completely open, is absolutely denied a goal scoring opportunity. The player who fouled him thought this was a goal scoring opportunity, it’s why he fouled him.

I'm sure we all can with enough opportunities down at the local park, virtually the last kick in a world cup game when the pressure is on, not so sure...

Why should it matter who the player in question was, so you're saying they if it was Joe Rodon instead of Bale then the punishment would be deemed less just because he doesn't have the same ability as Bae? That doesn't make any sense. If Harry Maguire is through on goal and he gets brought down by the last man you wouldn't deem that a yellow JUST because it's Harry Maguire lol

There's quite an stark difference which you're ignoring, it's obvious that a player has more of a chance to score when he's through on goal as opposed to being near the half way line and despite you trying to ignore what the rule is, I'll remind you again it's a clear goalscoring opportunity, not a goal scoring opportunity.

I'm sure we all can with enough opportunities down at the local park, virtually the last kick in a world cup game when the pressure is on, not so sure...

Why should it matter who the player in question was, so you're saying they if it was Joe Rodon instead of Bale then the punishment would be deemed less just because he doesn't have the same ability as Bae? That doesn't make any sense. If Harry Maguire is through on goal and he gets brought down by the last man you wouldn't deem that a yellow JUST because it's Harry Maguire lol

There's quite an stark difference which you're ignoring, it's obvious that a player has more of a chance to score when he's through on goal as opposed to being near the half way line and despite you trying to ignore what the rule is, I'll remind you again it's a clear goalscoring opportunity, not a goal scoring opportunity.
I don't care who the player is, that's why I mentioned myself, if I can score then so too can ANY professional footballer (my goals were all when I was a semi-pro, not a local park scenario at all, just for the record and one of them was in a semi-final! Just saying.)

If that was Rodon then I would be saying exactly the same thing, any player that is in the process of shooting on goal that is denied that shooting opportunity is clearly denied an opportunity to score and therefore it's a red card.

I understand why it wasn't given, the ref bottled it and I'd expect many others to do exactly what he did. He gave a yellow for a professional foul, he recognised that it was a deliberate foul to break up play (these are part of the game now and have introduced an argument to have the possibility of an Amber card or sin bin, whatever) but the ref failed to notice that Bale was lining up to shoot, he wasn't trying to progress the ball or make a forward pass etc, he was in the act of shooting on an open goal.

If a player is fouled as the last man whilst not in the act of trying to shoot, it can't in any measure be a greater chance to score than someone in the act of actually trying to shoot on goal. A person shooting on goal has more chance of scoring than a player not attempting to shoot.

I don't care who the player is, that's why I mentioned myself, if I can score then so too can ANY professional footballer (my goals were all when I was a semi-pro, not a local park scenario at all, just for the record and one of them was in a semi-final! Just saying.)

If that was Rodon then I would be saying exactly the same thing, any player that is in the process of shooting on goal that is denied that shooting opportunity is clearly denied an opportunity to score and therefore it's a red card.

I understand why it wasn't given, the ref bottled it and I'd expect many others to do exactly what he did. He gave a yellow for a professional foul, he recognised that it was a deliberate foul to break up play (these are part of the game now and have introduced an argument to have the possibility of an Amber card or sin bin, whatever) but the ref failed to notice that Bale was lining up to shoot, he wasn't trying to progress the ball or make a forward pass etc, he was in the act of shooting on an open goal.

If a player is fouled as the last man whilst not in the act of trying to shoot, it can't in any measure be a greater chance to score than someone in the act of actually trying to shoot on goal. A person shooting on goal has more chance of scoring than a player not attempting to shoot.

Haha I take your word for it you scored in a SEMI FINAL, I scored a goal like that on FIFA tbf :D

So if you don't care who the player is then then question you asked about Bale being capable becomes redundant then.

If you expect many other refs to do the same then surely they must be in the right and you're possibly wrong :p You're right no ref is going to give a red card for it because it's not clear, that's the point.

Anyway, whatevs - cba to argue now :D

Haha I take your word for it you scored in a SEMI FINAL, I scored a goal like that on FIFA tbf :D

So if you don't care who the player is then then question you asked about Bale being capable becomes redundant then.

If you expect many other refs to do the same then surely they must be in the right and you're possibly wrong :p You're right no ref is going to give a red card for it because it's not clear, that's the point.

Anyway, whatevs - cba to argue now :D
So you do or don't think a professional footballer (or amateur, semi-pro) can kick a ball 40yrds into an open net?

Back
Top Bottom