Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He was near enough the only attacker really trying to take the game by the scruff of the neck. Always available, always wanting the ball and always trying. Today would blame the poor surrounding quality more than him.

However, his unwillingness to use his right foot is massively holding him back and is bizarre that a professional (who seems to take his career seriously) hasn’t sorted that by this stage.

Love his work rate and energy but watching him today was frustrating, seems to dwell on it for too long and will not use his right foot. Does not help having a cart horse playing striker though.

Lamela offers things many others in our squad don’t. His primary benefit is his spite and aggression. A valuable squad member if no longer a starting regular.

Last night he was poor, but Moura was awful too and so were many of our players.
Quoting myself here. Today he was busy and determined. But what exactly does he do well ? For all the piss and vinegar what does he do ? ( in fairness he does more than Moura )

His poor ball striking ability holds him back. The free kick and his harmless shot at the keeper were poor. He never learned how to strike a ball as he has resorted to ball rolls and rabona's his whole life.

His poor ball striking ability holds him back. The free kick and his harmless shot at the keeper were poor. He never learned how to strike a ball as he has resorted to ball rolls and rabona's his whole life.
I'd be surprised if his ball striking technique was that bad if his teamates allow him to have a free kick.

Work rate, aggression, energy and the occasional moment of brilliance.

Those traits deserve credit, however ( as many have mentioned ) he is stifled by being single footed, often one too many touches, and seems to overplay his hand way too often. A bench player for sure... Not more than that IMHO.

Love his passion, and i don't doubt his desire, but again these are admirable qualities that can't paper over his obvious flaws.

I defended him for years, but the promise that he showed in the first few games seems to have disappeared.

He is often referred to as a hard worker, but the only way I see him improving is if he, at the training ground, puts in enough effort to strengthen his right foot, and in general work on his whole game, because last night was very, very average.

He couldn't hold onto the ball, ran into blind alleys, couldn't shoot etc. I like the guy, but if he isn't going to admit his weaknesses and improve, he's never going to be a starter here, or anywhere.

The thing is, he'll score against Watford and overnight become a world-beater who deserves another contract!

He's been here for five years and has had about ten excellent games. The rest have been OK or rubbish.

A summer exit please.

Quoting myself here. Today he was busy and determined. But what exactly does he do well ? For all the piss and vinegar what does he do ? ( in fairness he does more than Moura )
I touched on it in the Lucas thread. But I think he is struggling playing more centrally right now. He has always been at his best when he has been able to cut in from the right side to use his left foot. But now that he is playing more centrally he ends up out of angle when pulling off that move.

Playing time and coaching should sort that out. It worked for Son

The thing is, he'll score against Watford and overnight become a world-beater who deserves another contract!

He's been here for five years and has had about ten excellent games. The rest have been OK or rubbish.

A summer exit please.

Disagree but he should be at best a squad player who has moments during a season when he starts because his performances demand it.

Right now he is a player who always offers an option, rarely hides but too often makes the wrong choice - it is that which separates the best from the rest.

He reminds me of Mahrez without the same level of output. Busier, less productive by far and too often inconsistent.

Last edited:
I've always stated he is a good player but not good enough to start over our DESK line.

I also think he is getting paid way too much for his contributions.

Good player but not top 4 club player for sure.

I always thought he was gone last season until the Leicester game were he scored three goals. That made him gain credits after being terrible last season most time. This season he started really well but after the last injury is as been horrendous. I just don’t know. I like him but he will never be the man around here.

Needs to be supplemented with the talent around him in Kane, Dele etc. He'll never be the main guy.

Sunday showed that. Came on, created more chances than anyone else on the pitch the whole game yet we didn't score a single goal.

He was great in 15/16 when surrounded with that talented attack. Wonderful squad player though

Also needs more play time to show what he can do. He has shown moments of brilliance in the past and this is his time to do it again as we will see in the coming games.

Have a little faith!

:lamelashock:

Also needs more play time to show what he can do. He has shown moments of brilliance in the past and this is his time to do it again as we will see in the coming games.

Have a little faith!

:lamelashock:

Critics will say he's been given 5 years of faith.

Clearly will be a key player at this stage, but really he should be in the firing line when we try to úpgrade the squad

Back
Top Bottom