Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Any geniuses here to defend him after last night?

Headless chicken, aimless running, going to ground too easily or just falling over, giving away fouls and risking cards, hopelessly one footed, leading challenges with his arms, keen to showboat and show off his 'ability'.

Or am I the only one?

He's been with us over 5 years. He's (currently) a Spurs player and deserves support, but really...

Only upside is that he's currently fit so will be in the team.

The Lamela lovers will all hit 'Disagree' to this post without thought. That makes him a valued part of the squad?

Any geniuses here to defend him after last night?

Headless chicken, aimless running, going to ground too easily or just falling over, giving away fouls and risking cards, hopelessly one footed, leading challenges with his arms, keen to showboat and show off his 'ability'.

Or am I the only one?

He's been with us over 5 years. He's (currently) a Spurs player and deserves support, but really...

Only upside is that he's currently fit so will be in the team.

The Lamela lovers will all hit 'Disagree' to this post without thought. That makes him a valued part of the squad?

I think overall when fit, he plays well far more often than he plays badly to be honest.

Wasn't aware that he was unfit last night or against Fulham.

As a response to what I had written, that doesn't make sense. I wasn't referring to last night, I said overall when fit, he's more often good than bad. i.e. he's not always good when fit (last night) but he is more often than not...

I used the word overall as your original post suggested he's not very good for us generally as well as saying he was shit last night.

Of Lamela, he obviously does what the manager asks of him but maybe like 3 or 4 of our players does not have high level consistency, which explains his time out of the starting line-up even when fit on occasions.

I think we need better than he produces and on a more regular basis but don't know where we get it from.

Definitely being as one footed as he is limits him but we need his aggressive if at times reckless streak.

Last edited:
OK. However I'd reverse your statement:

"I think overall when fit, he plays badly far more often than he plays well"

Last night and against Fulham he was awful.

At the beginning of the season, he was a game changer when involved. Very obvious impact coming off the bench, aggressive forward passing, closing down high up the pitch and scoring goals and making the odd assist.

I suspect we won't agree on this one. I do however agree he was turd last night.

At the beginning of the season, he was a game changer when involved. Very obvious impact coming off the bench, aggressive forward passing, closing down high up the pitch and scoring goals and making the odd assist.

I suspect we won't agree on this one. I do however agree he was turd last night.

Granted he's has a few good games. Over the last five years!

Impact sub/squad player at best.

When he joined us, I desperately wanted (along with everyone else) for him to do well. 5 years down the line...

Worryingly, I'm starting to feel the same way about Aurier (and maybe even Lucas).

I agree we won't agree on this one.

When he joined us, I desperately wanted (along with everyone else) for him to do well. 5 years down the line...

Worryingly, I'm starting to feel the same way about Aurier (and maybe even Lucas).

I agree on Aurier. He's not without merit but he's also just not great. Despite his strong points, there's never any point in having a defender who you think is the biggest liability in your team. We can live with a dodgy but talented forward, but not a full back.

Lucas has it I think, I rate him. Just need to persevere with him and over time I'm sure his game will tighten up.

I love Coco's skill, work rate and aggression. He gets into people and isn't shy. Those are great qualities.

He does have problems, though:

• Often doesn't see (or chooses not to) pass to team-mates in good attacking positions. One recent game, he had Son (I think) running into space inside the box on his left and didn't pass, I couldn't believe it. Simple left-footed pass and Son was in. Note: Son also has this problem. As does Kane sometimes, although Kane makes up for it with some world-class vision when we really need it.
  • Being predictable/one-footed. Scoring a sweet-as-a-nut Rabona doesn't make up for that. But fuck me, what a goal!

I still think that Erik will click with a good injury-free run in the team, ideally with Lucas to play off. They are both tricky and can be the perfect complement to each other. Their time is now, not going to get a better chance to stake a claim.

OK. However I'd reverse your statement:

"I think overall when fit, he plays badly far more often than he plays well"

Last night and against Fulham he was awful.
Most overrated player we have. Obviously he is decent but not that good. We can do better & he isn't in our best 11 which I am told is all that matters.

Agree with you on all 3 players.

I love Lamela as much as the next man, his love for the club and bravery on the pitch are a joy to watch. But if we're being honest at the same time, the drop in quality when he plays instead of a Son, Dele, Eriksen or even Lucas is absolutely massive. He has literally squeezed every last drop of potential out of himself, he's not going to get any better, and for that reason while it would be incredibly sad seeing him go, I wouldn't be averse at all to seeing if we could upgrade him in the Summer.

I love Lamela as much as the next man, his love for the club and bravery on the pitch are a joy to watch. But if we're being honest at the same time, the drop in quality when he plays instead of a Son, Dele, Eriksen or even Lucas is absolutely massive. He has literally squeezed every last drop of potential out of himself, he's not going to get any better, and for that reason while it would be incredibly sad seeing him go, I wouldn't be averse at all to seeing if we could upgrade him in the Summer.

I agree with most of what you're saying, but just wanted to point out that he plays a different role/set of tactics, more often deeper than Kane or Son. More like Dele, which I guess would be the closest comparison, but he's a 'destroyer attacking midfielder' which only really exists in the full-press game. One problem I see a lot is him being isolated on the right with only a winger near him and a long ball to the more advanced far wing (which he never plays, because it would mean coming back onto his left and the chance would have gone).

I agree with most of what you're saying, but just wanted to point out that he plays a different role/set of tactics, more often deeper than Kane or Son. More like Dele, which I guess would be the closest comparison, but he's a 'destroyer attacking midfielder' which only really exists in the full-press game. One problem I see a lot is him being isolated on the right with only a winger near him and a long ball to the more advanced far wing (which he never plays, because it would mean coming back onto his left and the chance would have gone).
I'm not sure it's tactical, more so I just don't think Lamela possesses the ability to have as much of an attacking influence on the game. He's kind of been a jack of all trades player this season filling in for attackers when they've been out. A lot of the time as you say he's been in that free role Dele often occupies behind Son and Kane, last night he was playing the Son role as he was up front next to Llorente most of the game with Eriksen in the pocket behind. All in all there is simply a very noticeable decrease in quality when he plays in place of the others IMO.

Lamela offers things many others in our squad don’t. His primary benefit is his spite and aggression. A valuable squad member if no longer a starting regular.

Last night he was poor, but Moura was awful too and so were many of our players.

Back
Top Bottom