Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Where were the performances in the "big games" during the knock out stage in the Euro League? Scored a few in the no pressure situations at the group stage, but so often lacks the quality when it matters.

Not sure I understand?

In his first season with us, he played heavily in the Europa League group stages, scored and assisted and then got injured and didn't play a single second of our knockout games.

In his second season with us in the Europa League, he started the full 90 minutes of of the away leg against Fiorentina and we lost 2-0. Eriksen was preferred to start both games instead as we sailed out 3-1 on aggregate

In his third season with us, after being our top goalscorer in the group stages to get us to the knockout stages, scored in against Fiorentina in a 4-1 win over two legs. Then in the first leg against Dortmund it was Eriksen who started instead of Lamela as they cruised to a 3-0 win. Lamela started the second leg and we lost 2-1.

So in 3 seasons of the Europa League and 10 knockout fixtures. He started a whopping 3 games and scored 1 goal.

Those are just different type of players that's all. Lamela is a creative footballer who's aim is to create. He came off the bench in his first game from a 12 month injury and got an assist within 5 minutes. I personally don't think Mata offers anything coming off the bench for Man Utd that Lamela wouldn't for us and I don't think Mata would bring anything different to us either

Martial etc. is a different style of player (One we could also do with either on the bench or starting) and probably more comparable to Son and what to expect from him when he comes off the bench. I wouldn't see Martial or even Willian as a direct replacement for Lamela if we had either of them and instead would have them both on the bench.

Son, Dele and Eriksen to start behind Kane - then you would have Llorente, Martial and Lamela on the bench, one creative player, one striker and someone with pace to change the game. Then the other four subs would be central midfielder, defenders and a goalkeeper.

Sessegnon for example, wouldn't come here to replace Lamela's position. He'd probably just simply replace Sissoko's position on the bench. He is nothing like Lamela. No where near as creative and doesn't work nearly as hard but would offer something totally different.

I think there are at least 10 players in our squad more replaceable than Lamela when it comes to having effective players to win things personally, but that's what opinions are for.

Personally I don't think Lamela is that creative and would rather have any of those players mentioned occupying the role Lamela played against Brighton with the exception of Martial. Lamela should be able to play a multitude of positions with his ability and be productive but he simply doesn't.

Personally I don't think Lamela is that creative and would rather have any of those players mentioned occupying the role Lamela played against Brighton with the exception of Martial. Lamela should be able to play a multitude of positions with his ability and be productive but he simply doesn't.

To be fair, you only have to watch that video to see how creative it is. Yes, I know it's a YouTube video and your opinions are based on the games you have seen him play, but as he's been out for so long, I feel people forget just how good he is at finding a player or creating a chance when around the box and he's certainly the best we have in our squad at doing so.

I look forward to him being a continued option this season and hope he can change some peoples minds as the season goes on.

Where were the performances in the "big games" during the knock out stage in the Euro League? Scored a few in the no pressure situations at the group stage, but so often lacks the quality when it matters.

Nothing to do with the fact that Poch played a B-team against a prime BVB.....?

Noooooo.... Lamella let us down... Riiiiight!

Year before we had Chadli & Soldado missing sitters in a game we would have otherwise won.

EDIT: Just seen Totti's last post.... Owned! LOL

Think it's worth noting that Lamelas stats are bumped up against god awful teams in cup comps

As are a lot of players. All this proves to me is that Erik will gladly turn up for games when other players just won't. All you need to do is watch that god awful performance our team put in against Newcastle a few years back and wonder what could have been if the rest of the team matched Lamelas energy and desire.

I certainly don't think he's useless and apart from in my opinion lacking a little bit of upper body strength he probably has everything to be a top player but for whatever reason he's not and I don't think he ever will be in the premier league , he seems to play at a slower tempo than the rest of the team , when you consider we paid 30 million for him in old money he'd be a 50 million player in today's money and for that money he's been massively disappointing.

When you look at players that top 6 rivals can bring off the bench , Willian, Mata, Cazorla, Martial off the top of my head they're all far superior than Lamela and far more likely to influence the game imo , obviously we can't compete financially with those teams for impact players but I'd be in favour of offing Lamela and going after a prospect like Ssengnon like someone else mentioned , all though I'm not fussed if he stays a few more years , I just feel ultimately if we want to start winning things and remaining a CL side we need more effective players than Lamela.

Well, ain't you a moany cunt.

Fuck off back to Woolwich!

I didn't agree with your post like you didn't agree with mine , no explanation for disagreeing with me required.

Well, what did you disagree with? Do you disagree that Alli and Eriksen haven't scored against shit teams? Do you disagree that we would have won that Newcastle game and finished 2nd if the rest of our team showed half the heart Erik showed in that very same match?

I get it. You don't like him. But disagreeing with anything positive about him, despite it being factual makes you look like a pathetic child mate. Sure, I hit the disagree button, but I then went on to engage in the discussion with you and explain why I disagreed. You on the other hand have just chosen to throw your toys out of the pram. How old are you? 14?

Well, what did you disagree with? Do you disagree that Alli and Eriksen haven't scored against shit teams? Do you disagree that we would have won that Newcastle game and finished 2nd if the rest of our team showed half the heart Erik showed in that very same match?

I get it. You don't like him. But disagreeing with anything positive about him, despite it being factual makes you look like a pathetic child mate. Sure, I hit the disagree button, but I then went on to engage in the discussion with you and explain why I disagreed. You on the other hand have just chosen to throw your toys out of the pram. How old are you? 14?

I disagreed with your post and only your post , I said countless times I do like Lamela i just don't rate him anywhere near as highly as some on here , we have different opinions deal with it , I have no problem with your opinion or you as a poster.

I disagreed with your post and only your post , I said countless times I do like Lamela i just don't rate him anywhere near as highly as some on here , we have different opinions deal with it , I have no problem with your opinion or you as a poster.

And I'm asking what about it you disagree with. Why is that such a difficult question?

Do you like that players like Eriksen and Alli don't always give it their all because they view their opponents as inferior costing us games?

Or do you disagree that top players also score against shitty opposition? Because here's the thing with that one, you can only score against the teams you're playing against.

I also find it incredible that you would swap Lamela for Cazorla or Mata, but that's a discussion for another day.

Also a fair point

But he's also performed in the big games too.

Assist vs.Liverpool at home in 2016/2017 season.
Assist vs. Chelsea away in 2015/2016 season.
Goal and assist vs. Man Utd at home in 2015/2016 season.
Assist vs Woolwich at home in the 2015/2016 season.
Assist vs. Man City away in the 2015/2016 season.
Goal and assist vs Man City at home in the 2015/2016 season.
Assist vs. Liverpool away in the 2014/2015 season.
Assist vs. Woolwich away in the 2014/2015 season.

I think he has his uses. Performs in the big games because of his attitude. Some games don't suit him. Just like some games won't suit Son and Lamela probably doesn't deserve a run in the team until he's performing at a consistent level where he's creating chances and/or scoring goals. For example right now, Son, Eriksen and Kane should be starting out of the five and it will be interesting to see who Poch goes with tomorrow.

Assist vs.Liverpool at home in 2016/2017 season. The ball deflected off his head to Rose, nothing intentional about it, and he also gave away the silly penalty in that game.

Assist vs. Chelsea away in 2015/2016 season. The short ball was on to Kane and he played it - he doesn't produce the kind of ball Eriksen did for Alli in semi-final against Chelsea - name one comparable assist Lamela has had like that - Alli, Eriksen and Son have played plenty of short balls to set up goals, it's not an extraordinary skill to have.

Goal and assist vs. Man Utd at home in 2015/2016 season. He took that goal very well but he usually mis-hits chances like that - Leicester at home in 2015/16 springs to mind. He has good consistent left footed delivery but I think Davies can match it.

Assist vs Woolwich at home in the 2015/2016 season. As above Vs Liverpool.

Assist vs. Man City away in the 2015/2016 season. Best moment in a Spurs' shirt but he shouldn't have technically been given the assist as the ball deflected off Otamendi - Walker wasn't credit with an assist last season because of Otamendi's slight touch.

Goal and assist vs Man City at home in the 2015/2016 season. Again, consistent delivery but it often requires the player making the header to generate the pace because his set plays lack them, and the goal came from poor keeping ultimately. His was the fourth goal late on and boy did he make a meal of it.

Assist vs. Liverpool away in the 2014/2015 season.
Assist vs. Woolwich away in the 2014/2015 season. Both of these were short balls that were there to be played and he played them, we have many players capable of this.

Yet I rarely see assists from other players in our team like the ones Lamela provides. Strange.

No one in our line up seems to create as many clear cut chances like that. Maybe I'm just not seeing it, must be the case.

Hassles the centre of the park to win the ball back, runs forward in the centre of the park with the ball and plays the perfect pass, late in a pressure filled game for the winning goal. In fact, whens the last time you saw ANYONE do that for Spurs in an important game late on?

Actually hold on, we can't give that assist to Lamela, because it grazed Otamendi. Shit.

Poch is obviously standing behind his man and that is good enough I reckon, doesn't matter if he is a favorite or not!

Sometimes I don't get this place, really. Apparently Hugo, Toby, and Harry are the only players good enough for Spurs...and Hugo, just. All too often ready to toss out effective top of the table proven players while ogling overrated shit heaps like Zaha whose never played meaningful effective minutes for a class squad, and has already blown it once.

Sessegnon? Ok, I'll have him - but you're having a fucking laugher saying Lamela isn't up to our quality and should be replaced by a teenage stand out from the fucking championship.

:pochshock:

Sometimes I don't get this place, really. Apparently Hugo, Toby, and Harry are the only players good enough for Spurs...and Hugo, just. All too often ready to toss out effective top of the table proven players while ogling overrated shit heaps like Zaha whose never played meaningful effective minutes for a class squad, and has already blown it once.

Sessegnon? Ok, I'll have him - but you're having a fucking laugher saying Lamela isn't up to our quality and should be replaced by a teenage stand out from the fucking championship.

:pochshock:

In fairness, the last punt we took on a lower league teenage stand out turned out quite well though...

In fairness, the last punt we took on a lower league teenage stand out turned out quite well though...
Absolutely, and that's why we shouldn't ever stop taking those educated chances. But players like Dele at Dons and Sessegnon are those that you buy on the cheap, bring in, and then see what they can offer. We didn't sack anyone from the squad to carve out a place for Dele...he pushed his way into the team.

That's why I said I'd have Sessegnon, but I'm not selling anyone from the squad to make room especially for a teenager from the championship who - going on the averages over the years - is just as likely to turn out to be overhyped garbage as he is the next (insert name here).

Back
Top Bottom