Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Oh god, another idiot.
I moved here when I was 2 years old.
Fuck your Osmosis and DNA.

:lamelashock:....lot of hostility over some jokes here lol.

Just remember in the future: THE Spurs
52185086-san-antonio-spurs-v-los-angeles-lakers.jpg.jpg

o4ma8ryn9
Spurs
harry_kane_of_spurs_r_celebrates_with_dele_ali_after_scoring_the_585943.jpg

I certainly don't hate Lamela he's a decent reserve but I just don't get the love in he's not acheived much at all in his time at Spurs , Son is 10x the player but gets a lot of grief and no doubt will again when his form goes dry , Lamela gets a free ride despite having poor end product , some seem to think he's bordering on world class for me he's slightly better than average.

Delighted to see Erik back to fitness and really giving us attacking options. I'm a bit moist at the thought of seeing him and Eriksen feeding Kane/Son/Alli in a 5 3 2 1 or whatever you want to call it.

Delighted to see Erik back to fitness and really giving us attacking options. I'm a bit moist at the thought of seeing him and Eriksen feeding Kane/Son/Alli in a 5 3 2 1 or whatever you want to call it.
Probably not a 5-3-2-1 to be fair. Unless you are playing rush goalie!

I’ll bet you £1000 right now that Lamela is going nowhere in January.

No way I could take that bet given his injury record. If you put a disclaimer about him not suffering yet another mysterious injury that takes ages to diagnose and three times as long a recovery time than normally expected, I might consider it, and also us being able to get in a replacement, be it Barkley nor Sessegnon - is there seriously anyone who'd not prefer Sessegnon to Lamela? I love watching young players develop like Kane, Dele and of course Bale was the ultimate example. Lamela has gone the other way, declined in value, some feet in the spiralling transfer market. 30 mill then is 50 mill now and we'd struggled to get anywhere near 20 million. I think the thing with Lamela is that people like the guy and desperately want him to succeed and he is a very likeable guy and never gives less than 100%, but it also blinds some people to his many shortcomings and they only see confirmation bias when he does good things.

No way I could take that bet given his injury record. If you put a disclaimer about him not suffering yet another mysterious injury that takes ages to diagnose and three times as long a recovery time than normally expected, I might consider it, and also us being able to get in a replacement, be it Barkley nor Sessegnon - is there seriously anyone who'd not prefer Sessegnon to Lamela? I love watching young players develop like Kane, Dele and of course Bale was the ultimate example. Lamela has gone the other way, declined in value, some feet in the spiralling transfer market. 30 mill then is 50 mill now and we'd struggled to get anywhere near 20 million. I think the thing with Lamela is that people like the guy and desperately want him to succeed and he is a very likeable guy and never gives less than 100%, but it also blinds some people to his many shortcomings and they only see confirmation bias when he does good things.
Why would I want to replace our right winger with a left back?

I certainly don't hate Lamela he's a decent reserve but I just don't get the love in he's not acheived much at all in his time at Spurs , Son is 10x the player but gets a lot of grief and no doubt will again when his form goes dry , Lamela gets a free ride despite having poor end product , some seem to think he's bordering on world class for me he's slightly better than average.

Spot on, my only bone of contention he IS average.

To be fair, he has 17 goals and 23 assists in 83 starts for us since he signed. That is by no means a bad return. Sure, he could probably have scored more, but if you have Dele, Son, Eriksen and Kane all scoring the goals, his lack of goals isn't detrimental to the side. I still maintain that he offers us something none of our other attacking players tend to do and that's play the ball quickly and accurately forward. His indirect set plays are also the best we have.

In comparison:

Son has 30 goals and 12 assists in 62 starts.
Eriksen has 41 goals and 48 assists in 170 starts.
Dele has 34 goals and 24 assists in 96 starts.

If anything, it shows how underrated Son is, because his stats are absolutely ridiculous. Sure, Lamela is lagging on the goals front but his assists are still ridiculous. He has more assists than Son (in more starts), one less than Dele (in less starts) and half the amount of Eriksen (in half the starts). One of Lamela's seasons was spent being managed by AVB and Sherwood too as well as missing our our best attacking season since the Bill Nicholson days, which would have been sure to beef his stats up.

There is a place for ALL of them in our team. But it's what else he brings to the team. He more than makes up for his lack of goals by creating numerous chances, his work rate, his heart and passion. He is the personification of Pochettino's football ethos. If he has no problem playing for us, sitting on the bench, getting game time and working hard, then I see no problem with him being part of our squad.

To be fair, he has 17 goals and 23 assists in 83 starts for us since he signed. That is by no means a bad return. Sure, he could probably have scored more, but if you have Dele, Son, Eriksen and Kane all scoring the goals, his lack of goals isn't detrimental to the side. I still maintain that he offers us something none of our other attacking players tend to do and that's play the ball quickly and accurately forward. His indirect set plays are also the best we have.

In comparison:

Son has 30 goals and 12 assists in 62 starts.
Eriksen has 41 goals and 48 assists in 170 starts.
Dele has 34 goals and 24 assists in 96 starts.

If anything, it shows how underrated Son is, because his stats are absolutely ridiculous. Sure, Lamela is lagging on the goals front but his assists are still ridiculous. He has more assists than Son (in more starts), one less than Dele (in less starts) and half the amount of Eriksen (in half the starts). One of Lamela's seasons was spent being managed by AVB and Sherwood too as well as missing our our best attacking season since the Bill Nicholson days, which would have been sure to beef his stats up.

There is a place for ALL of them in our team. But it's what else he brings to the team. He more than makes up for his lack of goals by creating numerous chances, his work rate, his heart and passion. He is the personification of Pochettino's football ethos. If he has no problem playing for us, sitting on the bench, getting game time and working hard, then I see no problem with him being part of our squad.

Think it's worth noting that Lamelas stats are bumped up against god awful teams in cup comps

Think it's worth noting that Lamelas stats are bumped up against god awful teams in cup comps

Also a fair point

But he's also performed in the big games too.

Assist vs.Liverpool at home in 2016/2017 season.
Assist vs. Chelsea away in 2015/2016 season.
Goal and assist vs. Man Utd at home in 2015/2016 season.
Assist vs Woolwich at home in the 2015/2016 season.
Assist vs. Man City away in the 2015/2016 season.
Goal and assist vs Man City at home in the 2015/2016 season.
Assist vs. Liverpool away in the 2014/2015 season.
Assist vs. Woolwich away in the 2014/2015 season.

I think he has his uses. Performs in the big games because of his attitude. Some games don't suit him. Just like some games won't suit Son and Lamela probably doesn't deserve a run in the team until he's performing at a consistent level where he's creating chances and/or scoring goals. For example right now, Son, Eriksen and Kane should be starting out of the five and it will be interesting to see who Poch goes with tomorrow.

Dont care for stats. The most import stat is the result at 5 o clock and then on reflection how we played. I feel Lamela is not going to make us better than we are and where we need to be to compete with the best. Its all good stuff Lamela, running at players, getting defenders to back track but your team mates need to know and benifit with what you are doing, Im not sure they do? Lamela is a bit of an annigma to me. Like him loads but not sure of his best
attributes
for the team?

Also a fair point

I think he has his uses. Performs in the big games because of his attitude. Some games don't suit him. Just like some games won't suit Son and Lamela probably doesn't deserve a run in the team until he's performing at a consistent level where he's creating chances and/or scoring goals. For example right now, Son, Eriksen and Kane should be starting out of the five and it will be interesting to see who Poch goes with tomorrow.

I certainly don't think he's useless and apart from in my opinion lacking a little bit of upper body strength he probably has everything to be a top player but for whatever reason he's not and I don't think he ever will be in the premier league , he seems to play at a slower tempo than the rest of the team , when you consider we paid 30 million for him in old money he'd be a 50 million player in today's money and for that money he's been massively disappointing.

When you look at players that top 6 rivals can bring off the bench , Willian, Mata, Cazorla, Martial off the top of my head they're all far superior than Lamela and far more likely to influence the game imo , obviously we can't compete financially with those teams for impact players but I'd be in favour of offing Lamela and going after a prospect like Ssengnon like someone else mentioned , all though I'm not fussed if he stays a few more years , I just feel ultimately if we want to start winning things and remaining a CL side we need more effective players than Lamela.

Also a fair point

Where were the performances in the "big games" during the knock out stage in the Euro League? Scored a few in the no pressure situations at the group stage, but so often lacks the quality when it matters.

I certainly don't think he's useless and apart from in my opinion lacking a little bit of upper body strength he probably has everything to be a top player but for whatever reason he's not and I don't think he ever will be in the premier league , he seems to play at a slower tempo than the rest of the team , when you consider we paid 30 million for him in old money he'd be a 50 million player in today's money and for that money he's been massively disappointing.

When you look at players that top 6 rivals can bring off the bench , Willian, Mata, Cazorla, Martial off the top of my head they're all far superior than Lamela and far more likely to influence the game imo , obviously we can't compete financially with those teams for impact players but I'd be in favour of offing Lamela and going after a prospect like Ssengnon like someone else mentioned , all though I'm not fussed if he stays a few more years , I just feel ultimately if we want to start winning things and remaining a CL side we need more effective players than Lamela.

Those are just different type of players that's all. Lamela is a creative footballer who's aim is to create. He came off the bench in his first game from a 12 month injury and got an assist within 5 minutes. I personally don't think Mata offers anything coming off the bench for Man Utd that Lamela wouldn't for us and I don't think Mata would bring anything different to us either

Martial etc. is a different style of player (One we could also do with either on the bench or starting) and probably more comparable to Son and what to expect from him when he comes off the bench. I wouldn't see Martial or even Willian as a direct replacement for Lamela if we had either of them and instead would have them both on the bench.

Son, Dele and Eriksen to start behind Kane - then you would have Llorente, Martial and Lamela on the bench, one creative player, one striker and someone with pace to change the game. Then the other four subs would be central midfielder, defenders and a goalkeeper.

Sessegnon for example, wouldn't come here to replace Lamela's position. He'd probably just simply replace Sissoko's position on the bench. He is nothing like Lamela. No where near as creative and doesn't work nearly as hard but would offer something totally different.

I think there are at least 10 players in our squad more replaceable than Lamela when it comes to having effective players to win things personally, but that's what opinions are for.

I’m fine with improving the quality of our bench. How often do we put a player on and see them make a difference by scoring or assisting? Maybe once or twice this season?

Back
Top Bottom