Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can admit I'm a little jealous that Liverpool and City are getting all their signings in nice and early whilst Spurs are as per usual pottering around dithering wether to sign Barkley or not. We can't be making this mistake again and again again where we start the season off with certain players still not signed. I think Salah is a really exciting signing for Liverpool and I wish we were signing players of this calibur. It's about time we show some ambition in this transfer market. We need a team to compete for all honours and we don't have that right now

Ze Kraut has said that Salah "has pace", well so does Sterling but i wouldn't pump nearly forty million on an already failed PL player personally. I know he only played thirteen games for Chel$ea but in that team he should have been a shoe-in. Though he has scored well for Roma, so did Lamela.

As for Liverpool and Citeh getting their transfer business done early, well they both have big rebuilding jobs, whereas we require just a tweak here and there. Barkley will go from Everton for sure but five of the current top six will not be interested and those below cannot afford him (and he wouldn't want to go to them anyway). This will leave Levy with all the bargaining chips, and with time on his side.

Sissoko (fuck me did we really sign him) was a very late addition and i can see Barkely ending up being a late capture, possibly into August.

Well I'm no armchair scout but if so confident by all means throw up some plausible names.

It's pretty dry all round in general here in terms of suggestions...

Also, still think you're underplaying the impact of the stadium project vs the spending power of the likes of PSG (!!!!), Arse, Liverpool, Athletico and even the likes of Everton and more...

There ARE only so many players of the calibre you allude to a out there and they come at a premium.... Even more so after a year in the EPL.
Atletico are out of the running this year, at least. That transfer ban means nothing in, and as a result, probably nothing out.

You may notice from that least yhat there is an 80m difference between us and Liverpool, 7m between us and Dortmund and 34m between us and Atletico.
The latter two are thus relatively close to us, compared to our standing vs the richest five in England. And they have a few great advantages, such as being clear second and third richest and best in their leagues while we are fighting (and have done so very well) against five economic powerhouses in our league. They can guarantee CL every season, bar an odd fuck up, and the odd title run, we can only promise to do the best we can and win/get CL if we beat the odds.

Then there are factors such as taxes, culture, language and climate, that will attract some players more to clubs in Germany and Spain over England. South Americans are likely better off in Spain, a lot of eastern/central europeans are likely better off in Germany.

Do you want go qualify that pessimism at all? For example that we are in a league where more than one or two teams can win it (unlike Germany, Spain), where every club will fill it's ground (unlike Spain/Italy), a well organised league (unlike Spain where matches are reorganised ridiculously late), in a great global city, that these clubs you say are our equals actually have attracted world class players recently and have proven it can be done, that wages on this country are increasing exponentially, that a player looking to advance his career and move to the tier one clubs can indeed do it if he wishes. Ours is the global language and whatever nation you are from you can find an ex-pat community in london if you wish.

And yes, if we could just sign some fucking players i would have something better to do than debate on here.

I'm not a professional scout either, you'll be surprised to hear, and haven't watched enough non-Spurs games recently to even hazard a guess.

I said Armchair scout, not pro...

Some watch shit loads of footy and think they know the player market. Worth an ask...

So this insistence the players are out there is based on supposition...? Ignoring that for a moment; maybe some of the lesser known names (Mayer, Under etc.) we've been linked with will prove to be the gems you desire....

There are also only so many clubs in the top 11 wages payers in Europe. And we are one of them.
See below.
Ok, Liverpool higher than I remembered but other than that we can outbid most. Including Dortmund, Everton and indeed Atletico, who are way down on the list. Teams like Dortmund and Atletico have in the past been able to attract players we can't because of their CL status. We have that, a bloody great stadium, an appealing manager and a great training ground to boot. We can afford to be ambitious both financially and strategically.
Audere est Facere and all that.
4102661B00000578-0-image-a-16_1496348604582.jpg

As already noted, wages are only part of the puzzle. Remember that holistic view I mentioned several times?

I don't entirely fail to see where you're coming from, I've just chosen to be patient on the basis that our 'project' is ahead of schedule.

When the latest layer of spending restrictions were announced we were shit... Look at us now.

Last edited:
I'm not a professional scout either, you'll be surprised to hear, and haven't watched enough non-Spurs games recently to even hazard a guess.

There are also only so many clubs in the top 11 wages payers in Europe. And we are one of them.
See below.
Ok, Liverpool higher than I remembered but other than that we can outbid most. Including Dortmund, Everton and indeed Atletico, who are way down on the list. Teams like Dortmund and Atletico have in the past been able to attract players we can't because of their CL status. We have that, a bloody great stadium, an appealing manager and a great training ground to boot. We can afford to be ambitious both financially and strategically.
Audere est Facere and all that.
4102661B00000578-0-image-a-16_1496348604582.jpg

P.s. Based on your theory above you can at the very least kiss goodbye to the best 110 players in the world from the get go.

I think he's probably still the best striker since the 90s began, it's just the injuries that cloud over the talent and skill he had, and even the crocked Ronaldo was still up there with the best.

I feel guilty for not taking time to enjoy watching him play when I was younger - took it for granted back then, in that Brazil team.
He had (has) a metabolic disorder of sorts. What he's achieved in-spite of that is simply astonishing

German Dier basically. Can play right back, centre half, in a back three and in defensive midfield.

Do not want. Weird saying that about a kid that played so many minutes for Dortmund, but after watching a lot of their matches this year he usually seemed to be the weakest player in the team.

I think he's probably still the best striker since the 90s began, it's just the injuries that cloud over the talent and skill he had, and even the crocked Ronaldo was still up there with the best.

I feel guilty for not taking time to enjoy watching him play when I was younger - took it for granted back then, in that Brazil team.

Completely agree. Just went back and re-watched some of his highlights.
So lethal. There's not been person in the game since that can dribble like him.
Interesting that most of his shots were low, hard and into the corner, same as how Kane hits it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom