Is this our only chance?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I have to agree, do people really believe that the big teams are just going to throw money at their problems and overnight they'll be world-beaters again?

A big club, with big budgets and big squads who have been underperforming during times of turmoil may, with a couple of good signings and the right choice of manager, turn things around very quickly.

We've simply been too good this season to be discarded as a candidate for the 2016/17 title. Unless, of course, the players should suddenly tire from Pochettino's demanding style, we should win this year and lose our hunger, or we should come close to winning, fuck up, and suffer mentality from that.

City have a problem motivating the current squad of players for the league. I suspect though, that the lack of league success this year and the appointment of Guardiola, will help motivate the players for next season. But their problems aren't just related to motivating. Key players, like Aguero, Silva and Kompany, are injured way too much. Yaya is bigger than the club, and seems to have no energy or will to fight half the time. Another problem is the age of their players. A lot of them are past 30, and we've seen clear signs of decay. They will need big investments over the next few seasons.

Man Utd, imo were shit before Fergie left. They won simply because they always won, it was in the heads of players and fans, managers, experts and referees. Since then they've been in turmoil, as the new managers hasn't had a chance to rebuild in peace. They are still shit, but with a few positives. They have an excellent de Gea and a fantastic Smalling on which to build, but they are in need of so much to go with them. A couple of youngsters have looked really promising, but if Mourinho is the new guy in charge they'll probably never get to play again. Hopefully they suffer some early season defeats, and we'll see the destructive cunt go off his hinges again.

If we beat Woolwich this season they might become dangerous. Maybe they'll realise what is happening - that we are overtaking their position - and will invest to be a force again. If they sak Wenger, though, I think they'll be in real trouble, and will struggle for years.

Liverpool may not seem like all that, but if they can get one or two class CBs, a top goalkeeper, no European tournaments, and they keep Coutinho and Sturridge fit, they may actually become a dangerous threat.

Chelsea might be tough. One class act forward, a defender, some defensive organisation, and a manager they don't hate, and they may well challenge for the title. They won't be playing in Europe.

I think we'll see a different season from most big clubs next year. But if we keep pushing on, there's little reason we can't be in the mix.

Depending on our final league position we will be playing with the big boys next year and our current squad as demonstrated against Dortmund was short on real quality, so if Pococino strengthens next year we will also be candidates for the title next year.

Unless, of course, the players should suddenly tire from Pochettino's demanding style, we should win this year and lose our hunger, or we should come close to winning, fuck up, and suffer mentality from that.
You are so fucking negative...How about they either are successful, see what hard work has earned them and want more, or lose and learn what they need to do to correct it next season...

You are so fucking negative...How about they either are successful, see what hard work has earned them and want more, or lose and learn what they need to do to correct it next season...

My writing might be shit. I thought I conveyed the message that "there's little reason we can't be in the mix" and that "we've simply been too good this season to be discarded as a candidate for the title". Sorry.

My writing might be shit. I thought I conveyed the message that "there's little reason we can't be in the mix" and that "we've simply been too good this season to be discarded as a candidate for the title". Sorry.
Yeah, but you actually managed to find something negative about us winning the league...

Not at all...
this is LEICESTER'S only chance... for sure their big hitters will be snapped up by the even bigger hitters next year... (Mahrez for example has 'Liverpool/Man City one season wonder/second year flop' written all over him!

We on the other hand, have a core unit of young players, all hungry, all friends (mostly) and all together!
If that isn't a recipe for long term success, I dunno what is...

...unless they all fuck off to Chelsea & Real Madrid in the Summer... in which case I will be extremely pissed off!

Not at all...
this is LEICESTER'S only chance... for sure their big hitters will be snapped up by the even bigger hitters next year... (Mahrez for example has 'Liverpool/Man City one season wonder/second year flop' written all over him!

We on the other hand, have a core unit of young players, all hungry, all friends (mostly) and all together!
If that isn't a recipe for long term success, I dunno what is...

...unless they all fuck off to Chelsea & Real Madrid in the Summer... in which case I will be extremely pissed off!
Yes, Leicester are fucked. They will be asset stripped this summer.
I never gave a fuck about Leicester before, but their fans have become such a cuntable lot that I'm learning to hate them. Pricks

I think our own fans focus too much on the other teams and don't look inwards at our own team. Next year we will have the same team if not another player or two that will help us out and they'll all be that much more hungry for a title. If I was a fan of Chelsea of Liverpool I would look at Spurs and think, "fuck, they're gonna be that much better next year."

It's interesting. I can't remember where I read it but the suggestion is that the rules have changed. The big four used to dominate but with the TV deal the likes of Stoke and Palace can buy CL winners. All 20 of the EPL will appear in the top 30 richest clubs list. The league is now like the NBA in that it will kill off the other leagues - everyone wants to be a part of it.

I thought the recent skullduggery by the Sky four at that hotel, where they met to discuss a European Super League, is indicative of the fear they feel that the world order is about to change. It was a calculated move to protect what they think is their birthright.

IMHO we will only return to where we were if we, and the likes of Leicester, West Ham (sorry South Stand Billy) and Southampton roll over and let it happen. Fuck the Sky 4 and their rules. Spurs are back in town, and we mean business!

Without a shadow of a doubt we will be better next season. Our young players will only get better and improve. The potential of the players is scary when you think about it. What an amazing time to be a spurs fan. When I started going to game s we had the ginger Pele! How things have changed.

keep Sturridge fit

giphy.gif

As I said on another thread, we did not play all season at the present standard. All those draws at the beginning of the season. Next season there is no reason why we should not hit the ground running and like Leicester this season, be up in the top 4 earlier than this season. All the other top teams with new Managers will take time to get used to the new Manager's style and will have to play catch up. Leicester will do well to hang onto their stars. The scum will be in the same position as us but are not as good as us at present and will need a good signing to hit the ground running to improve.
No reason why we should not have an even better season next year.

I think our own fans focus too much on the other teams and don't look inwards at our own team. Next year we will have the same team if not another player or two that will help us out and they'll all be that much more hungry for a title. If I was a fan of Chelsea of Liverpool I would look at Spurs and think, "fuck, they're gonna be that much better next year."

You're assuming that Chelsea and Liverpool fans are, you know, not deluded cunts.

These are the same Liverpool fans that thought that under Klopp they were a shoe in for a top 4 finish this season and the title next year or the following. Chelsea fans continually said they could win Champion's League this season because they could "focus only on that competition."

You're assuming that Chelsea and Liverpool fans are, you know, not deluded cunts.

These are the same Liverpool fans that thought that under Klopp they were a shoe in for a top 4 finish this season and the title next year or the following. Chelsea fans continually said they could win Champion's League this season because they could "focus only on that competition."
That's why I said, if I was one of their fans I would be shaking in my boots. I know they are deluded, let them think their going to win everything and let us lie under the radar for another season destroying everyone in our path.

no, our only chance is a world class manager, we have one, our dream will most likely live and die with Poch.

He stays we will be fine next season, I thought he did a great job last year but with a limited squad I have been amazed with the job he has done.

We get 3-4 good players in the summer I think we have every chance of another go at the title irrespective of the competition.

Remember Klopp and Guardiola have by contrast very average squads compared to what they are used to. Even in the summer I doubt Man City will buy to be as strong as Barca or Bayern Munich unless they spend a billion.

Last edited:
Be interesting to see what the effect of CL football will be.

I can see it going both ways. It may be that it is more tiring than the EL because we will play our best players more often, and the games will be more competitive, and our players will be 100% up for every game (my feeling is that players are going at 80% in the EL, even when Kane, Dembele etc do play). This seemed to happen when we were in it before. We burned out that season in the league, and I can remember for example going to Wigan away before going out to Madrid, and the players were clearly saving themselves for the Madrid game.

On the other hand, we may benefit from not having the Thursday-Sunday thing, and having less games, and Chelsea/Man Utd/Man City/Liverpool could all feel the pressures of it.

I would say it's very important to (a) finish 3rd or higher so as to avoid the two extra games of the playoff and (b) have a bigger squad next season, if we are going to juggle a decent CL run and another shot at the league title.

Back
Top Bottom