Retro Spurs photos

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The best strikeforce we had (in my lifetime):

56b304a2741992ff4c8ac3fec94fff31.jpg

hi-res-4e6b5d986752aeb0b882775ae0c77c76_crop_north.jpg

jurgen_klinsmann_teddy_sheringham.jpg

The best strikeforce we had (in my lifetime):

56b304a2741992ff4c8ac3fec94fff31.jpg

hi-res-4e6b5d986752aeb0b882775ae0c77c76_crop_north.jpg

jurgen_klinsmann_teddy_sheringham.jpg

I was about 10 at the time we signed jurgen the German. Knew very few footballers outside England and rangers/Celtic but distinctly remember the news being broke by my Cub Scout leader that Spurs had signed Klinsmann. Did I smile that day! Had moved to Yorkshire at the time, so most supported Leeds, Bradford etc, but remember the buzz about the group for days. I was overwhelmed at the time, a real superstar had signed for Spurs, we were always languishing mid to bottom of the table, from what I can remember, a real coup.

Will we ever sign such a name again?

To fans that regularly watched Spurs back then, I've always loved berbatov, know different styles, but at there peak who would you take? Also, don't remember people hating Klinsmann for leaving us for Munich, was it just accepted, or were there other reasons for his departure?

I was about 10 at the time we signed jurgen the German. Knew very few footballers outside England and rangers/Celtic but distinctly remember the news being broke by my Cub Scout leader that Spurs had signed Klinsmann. Did I smile that day! Had moved to Yorkshire at the time, so most supported Leeds, Bradford etc, but remember the buzz about the group for days. I was overwhelmed at the time, a real superstar had signed for Spurs, we were always languishing mid to bottom of the table, from what I can remember, a real coup.

Will we ever sign such a name again?

To fans that regularly watched Spurs back then, I've always loved berbatov, know different styles, but at there peak who would you take? Also, don't remember people hating Klinsmann for leaving us for Munich, was it just accepted, or were there other reasons for his departure?

Sounds like we are about the same age, think I found out about the Klinsmann signing off the back of a tabloid paper on cub camp as well. He was a crazy name at the time, had just come off the back of an epic World Cup, he was known because he was in the bracket of Romanio, Baggio, Stoitchkov who were all the glamour strikers that summer.

I can't see a signing like that ever happening again to be honest. Alan Sugar had a lot to do with it, his book tells a lot about how he invited him to his yacht in Monaco (where Jurgen was playing at the time) and invited Sky down at the same time. Got a photo of him holding the scarf in the media before the deal had ever been done; Klinsmann couldn't back track after that. He did fall out with Sugar afterwards and I believe that's why he left (to be honest don't know enough about this). He was on a 2 year deal and only stayed 1 though he did come back to 'rescue' us from relegation that year we had genuine relegation fears (e.g. April in the relegation zone and about to play Barnsley in a proper six pointer!)

Also Berbatov. World class. Should have resigned him when he was available and ended up at Fulham years later.

El cheapo programme from my first ever match at WHL. I love this photo - it has to be Spurs; I can recognize Jimmy Greaves who is the only one standing up straight, but who are they playing?? It looks like a miss rather than a goal. It's not WHL.
0JDdLEO.jpg

This looks like a good lineup but...I
aEE98H7.jpg

Woeful side. 3 or 4 decent players at most.

That was 14th May 1977. We won 2-0 but still got relegated.
I was there and recall the game with great fondness. We invaded the pitch and wouldn't leave until the players came out to the directors box and took a standing ovation.

Jennings later said 'you would have thought we had won the title, not been relatgated'.

Different class.

Archibald was my sort of first hero missed the easy ones but scored the no way ones....remember him scoring 2 against woolwich January 81 with only 32,000 at the lane it was hurling down with rain though.Any older fans remember the yellow Scottish flag with his name across the middle in big black letters?first saw it at Hillsborough and then again at Wembley....think his song started on the train to Sheffield.

Back
Top Bottom