Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No - using this empty-worded horsecrap to justify bottling a NLD is defeatist

Get a grip, ffs - do you even know what this club is about
Bottling as in we choked, or bottling as in we tanked on purpose?

Because the only defeatist thing being uttered is you claiming we cannot beat City, which is the literal definition of defeatist.

Bottling as in we choked, or bottling as in we tanked on purpose?

Because the only defeatist thing being uttered is you claiming we cannot beat City, which is the literal definition of defeatist.
Bottling as he played our 2nd-rate cloggers

He bottled a NLD - inexcusable, whether we beat City 5:0 on Saturday

Last edited:
Bottling as he played our 2nd-rate cloggers

He bottled a NLD - inexcusable, whether be beat City 5:0 on Saturday
Kane, Eriksen, Dire and Rose are second rate cloggers? Son as the first sub is a clogger? I saw a bad performance from Fazio, and some poor defending by others at key moments, but I didn't see a team trying to lose. We were a goal-line clearance from going up 2-1. Decent marking would have cut out Flamini's first goal, and probably his second too.

Not sure Pochettino is to blame for that. If you're a player, you should be able to execute the plan to the level required. We didn't, and some people need to have a hard look at themselves in the mirror.

But calling a tight lost "bottling" strikes me as a bit much.

I'm floored that people are actually saying that Man City on Saturday is bigger than the Scum in a cup. There was an article posted on this site a few days ago waxing poetic about past cup victories over Them. People will remember last night's game for years.

I have never read an article about all of the memorable September League victories over Crystal Palace or Manchester City.

Who knows what the fuck potch is thinking...let's be honest he plays chadli most games, so that tells you something ain't right in his head.

I can't even begin to understand how this is even up for debate and people can't understand last night was a big mistake. The is a big black mark against him.

So, declaring that you think the club is good enough to finish in the top 4, and that you're going to focus on doing that, is defeatist?

Wow.

Where has Pochettino said that?

The pre- match comments i saw from him were:

“You can feel that it is a very important game. This game has arrived at a good moment. We are excited to play Woolwich,” Pochettino said.

“It is a big game. We know it is a very important game for us and our supporters. I expect a very tough game,” Pochettino added.

“It is a good chance to show the progression of the team after three victories. It is important to keep the momentum.”

Last edited:
Kane, Eriksen, Dire and Rose are second rate cloggers? Son as the first sub is a clogger? I saw a bad performance from Fazio, and some poor defending by others at key moments, but I didn't see a team trying to lose. We were a goal-line clearance from going up 2-1. Decent marking would have cut out Flamini's first goal, and probably his second too.

Not sure Pochettino is to blame for that. If you're a player, you should be able to execute the plan to the level required. We didn't, and some people need to have a hard look at themselves in the mirror.

But calling a tight lost "bottling" strikes me as a bit much.
He picked players like Fazio, Townsend and Carroll with the former ultimately costing us the game. Would have be 4-5 more if they weren't wasteful, let's be honest here.

The only player who needed rest (Kane) - played a full game

Getting tired of this "second string cup" bullshit. Who the fuck do fans like that think they are? I've read and heard so many laughable comments since the game going on about how we're "still fighting for three trophies". Let's consider some facts:-

1) It's a quarter of a century since we last lifted the FA Cup or got to the final.
2) The Europa League is not the cake walk some make it out to be, and the chance of winning isn't that much better than finishing in fourth when you consider that we have to go through the knock out stage unbeaten while facing top European teams and CL drop outs. We have won three games in eight. Right now, that's not good enough form to win a competition like the EL.
3) It's also not good enough form to finish fourth. I'd even hesitate to say whether or not we'd finish in the EL spots this year if that form doesn't improve.
4) The squad is younger and more inexperienced than it used to be and frankly I think it's a big ask to expect any of the above from them. In terms of quality, it has regressed over the past 5 years.

With all of the above in mind and with our history in the past half century, even at times when we have been stronger than we are now, it has been shown statistically that we have a much greater chance of getting to the final, and maybe winning, the league cup than finishing fourth or winning either of the other cups. It is a trophy and, right now, it damn bloody well is the best trophy we have a chance of winning. A gooner on the detestable Woolwich Fan TV said last night that us getting knocked out meant our season was already over. I hated hearing it because inside I have a feeling he may be right. I was love it if the cunt is made to eat his words. But I think if we were honest the likelihood of him being proved right is greater than him having egg on his face.

So, when you consider all this, can it be anything other than arrogance for a manager, player or fan to treat this competition as a second string affair.....and even worse to do it when it's a NLD?

This is not about Poch hate. I have expressed doubts that he might not be the man to take us forward, but I have never called for his sacking or wished for him to fail. But if the happy clappers can't see the problem with the approach to yesterday's game and are content to live in a delusion where we're going to go on a massive trophy haul this season then frankly they need their heads examined. The manager made a bad call and half the squad didn't seem to understand the significance of the game. I'm sorry, but there are not excuses for that and, on this occasion, criticism is deserved.

Last edited:
I blame the new-age ENIC mentality for all this - nothing more than an intra-projection from the Boardroom

He's just a yes-man clown to serve the greater agenda

Sad times - the soul of this club is in real danger of errosion following a new generation of deluded, CL-brainwashed fans who think we're 'above' the League Cup and 'above' some NLD

Where has Pochettino said that?

The pre- match comments i saw from him were:

“You can feel that it is a very important game. This game has arrived at a good moment. We are excited to play Woolwich,” Pochettino said.

Pochettino, who took over the reins at White Hart Lane in 2014, demanded that Tottenham extend their winning run after victories over Sunderland, Qarabag and Palace.

“It is a big game. We know it is a very important game for us and our supporters. I expect a very tough game,” Pochettino added.

“It is a good chance to show the progression of the team after three victories. It is important to keep the momentum.”
I never said he did. I was responding to the idea that there could be no reason for not prioritizing a League Cup tie with an example of a Spurs manager saying why. Which someone declared was a defeatist statement. The point was not that Pochettino said it, but that someone saying the club could achieve bigger targets was not a defeatist statement.

Pochettino didn't say that. He said the same conventional soundbites all managers say. Unlike Redknapp, he doesn't shoot his gob off to the first microphone he sees.

Some utter bollocks being spouted on here today.

I can tell you this cup didn't seem so mickey mouse to the 6,000 of us that went up to Sheffield in January.

One of the best nights I've ever had supporting Tottenham.

But no, some of you would rather we beat City, which quite frankly will count for fuck all come May.

Unbelievable.
It didn't seem Mickey mouse in 1999,2008 either.Nor when we lost in the final in 01 and 2009.

He picked players like Fazio, Townsend and Carroll with the former ultimately costing us the game. Would have be 4-5 more if they weren't wasteful, let's be honest here.

The only player who needed rest (Kane) - played a full game
Let's be honest, it wouldn't have been 4-5 more, unless you're a panic-driven melt who claims the sky is falling every time there's a bad pass. Hyperbole doesn't help your case.

Getting tired of this "second string cup" bullshit. Who the fuck do fans like that think they are? I've read and heard so many laughable comments since the game going on about how we're "still fighting for three trophies". Let's consider some facts:-

1) It's a quarter of a century since we last lifted the FA Cup or got to the final.
2) The Europa League is not the cake walk some make it out to be, and the chance of winning isn't that much better than finishing in fourth when you consider that we have to go through the knock out stage unbeaten while facing top European teams and CL drop outs. We have won three games in eight. Right now, that's not good enough form to win a competition like the EL.
3) It's also not good enough form to finish fourth. I'd even hesitate to say whether or not we'd finish in the EL spots this year if that form doesn't improve.
4) The squad is younger and more inexperienced than it used to be and frankly I think it's a big ask to expect any of the above from them. In terms of quality, it has regressed over the past 5 years.

With all of the above in mind and with our history in the past half century, even at times when we have been stronger than we are now, it has been shown statistically that we have a much greater chance of getting to the final, and maybe winning, the league cup than finishing fourth or winning either of the other cups. It is a trophy and, right now, it damn bloody well is the best trophy we have a chance of winning. A gooner on the detestable Woolwich Fan TV said last night that us getting knocked out meant our season was already over. I hated hearing it because inside I have a feeling he may be right. I was love it if the cunt is made to eat his words. But I think if we were honest the likelihood of him being proved right is greater than him having egg on his face.

So, when you consider all this, can it be anything other than arrogance for a manager, player or fan to treat this competition as a second string affair.....and even worse to do it when it's a NLD?

This is not about Poch hate. I have expressed doubts that he might not be the man to take us forward, but I have never called for his sacking or wished for him to fail. But if the happy clappers can't see the problem with the approach to yesterday's game and are content to live in a delusion where we're going to go on a massive trophy hall this season then frankly they need their heads examined. The manager made a bad call and half the squad didn't seem to understand the significance of the game. I'm sorry, but there are not excuses for that and, on this occasion, criticism is deserved.
Actually our form is good enough for the top 4 right now, depending on what you look at, so if you want to get manically depressed and wallow in self-pity, go ahead, but I think we have a lot more to look forward to, this year.

I never said he did. I was responding to the idea that there could be no reason for not prioritizing a League Cup tie with an example of a Spurs manager saying why. Which someone declared was a defeatist statement. The point was not that Pochettino said it, but that someone saying the club could achieve bigger targets was not a defeatist statement.

Pochettino didn't say that. He said the same conventional soundbites all managers say. Unlike Redknapp, he doesn't shoot his gob off to the first microphone he sees.

errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr yessssssssssssssssssssssssss errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr philosopheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, errrrrrrrrrrrrrr yessssssssssssssssss....

Jesus christ juicy sushi.....what fucking planet are you living on pal....come on
What? Our league form is the 3rd/4th best in the league this year. We've had a couple of bad bounces, but aside from the Stoke game, where the players got stupid in the final 20 minutes, we've actually been quite good. The ball hasn't been going in the back of the net as much as it should, but that will change. Fans fixate on the table as if it was a static thing. The only time the table matters is after 38 games. Before then, other numbers tell the tale.

The ball hasn't been going in the back of the net as much as it should, but that will change.

I hope not, the bar / post has been our best defensive asset this year. Oh... you meant going in the back of the net for us?

Fans fixate on the table as if it was a static thing. The only time the table matters is after 38 games. Before then, other numbers tell the tale.

Which other numbers? We're getting marginally more shots than the opposition, but they are getting better quality opportunities.

I tend to use my own eyes to judge performance and we are where we deserve to be - mid table, with decidedly average performances.

Back
Top Bottom