Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

if it had been poch in charge when bale blossomed, we would have never heard the end of people saying how great poch is with kids.
& how he turned bale in to a star.
I've no problem saying Harry played a huge role in Bale and Modric's development.
He toughed Bale up, stuck with him. Let Modric learn his trade on the wing, and then brought him inside where Madrid are now reaping the benefits of everything he learned such as tackling and intercepting.

Will you give Poch his credit for the youngsters who will develop well under him? Or will it be a case of Poch inheriting a great batch of youth players?

Aaaaand that's where the model falls down. However you look at it, quality of opportunity cannot be scientifically defined. We are not a 'normal' team either, most of the teams in the league play a conventional defensive line while ours is much higher - our defenders are more often facing the wrong way when defending, which means that regardless of their measurable proximity to the attacker (a nice easy stat) they will be less able to block / stop the attacker. In statty terms, chances are barely 'ordinal' and certainly not 'scale'.

Unfortunately I'm a Research Director by trade and I can see weaknesses in statistical models a mile off. I'm sure this model will get better over time, and I reckon it's probably right for most teams, but Spurs under Poch don't play like 'most teams' so the application of the model will be off, unless these guys are statistical geniuses of the highest order that I haven't come across in my 9 years in the business.
I think you don't understand what they measure. Quality of opportunity can be measured. You can measure a shot based on various factors and then compare that to other shots taken using the same factors and determine the probability of the chance being scored.

Caley explained the datapoints he's comparing on here:

And a good explanation of his methodology is here:

This is why I like expected goals. (In response to the Deadspin article.)

As far as Spurs being unique or strange with a high line, it's not that strange. It in theory leads to fewer chances being conceded, but each chance conceded is likely of higher quality. That is something which can be accounted for. Based on models which haven been shown to have accurate predictive value, and based on simple counting metrics, we're a decent team.

We create more, and better chances than the opposition, and are consistently doing so.

Wow I didnt know if Poch is a failure or not is such a hot debate. Didnt he do 5th last season and this is only his second? A few matches I watched he looked on to me. If he puts Son on top this Sat, would still be on the same page.

I think you don't understand what they measure. Quality of opportunity can be measured. You can measure a shot based on various factors and then compare that to other shots taken using the same factors and determine the probability of the chance being scored.

If we beat them 6-0 yesterday, would you wheel out the stats?
Why are stats always used to justify shit games, yet good games can be judged on the eye?

Did you wheel out the stats when we beat Inter 3-1 or Scum 3-2 away, to see if we played well?

If we beat them 6-0 yesterday, would you wheel out the stats?
Why are stats always used to justify shit games, yet good games can be judged on the eye?

Did you wheel out the stats when we beat Inter 3-1 or Scum 3-2 away, to see if we played well?
I wasn't on the forum then, but it would have been something I'd have looked at, as a matter of course, yes.

So. A reasonable question to all the cunts who want Poch sacked. Who should we get to replace him. No bullshit names like Klopp and Ancellotti. Levy would never employ them, and they would never work for a chairman with a net transfer budget of Zero. Who, realistically, should Levy bring in to replace our disgraced squad rotater. Who`s the fucking man.

So. A reasonable question to all the cunts who want Poch sacked. Who should we get to replace him. No bullshit names like Klopp and Ancellotti. Levy would never employ them, and they would never work for a chairman with a net transfer budget of Zero. Who, realistically, should Levy bring in to replace our disgraced squad rotater. Who`s the fucking man.

It doesnt matter. He will not back the new guy either, so why bother.
If Levy stays, Poch may as well stay. Needs full scale changes for us to grow.

The club has become a big fucking parody of itself.

Imagine Van Gaal working with Levy. Fucking comedy gold.
His stay would've been less than Santini's.

How much do stats really tell you?
They tell me how much fan/media narrative depends on recency and outcome bias, and tell me what's more likely to happen in future through regression.

It gives me a different way to see player choices on the pitch, which is both a positive and a negative as it gives hope when somethings look bad, but also tempers optimism when good things happen too.

No one Poch is best we will get at the moment so lets accept that come good or bad. If you want a world class manager you need a bigger budget and a chairman whoses ego isn't so big it that he will clash with any guy who doesn't keep his mouth shut.

They tell me how much fan/media narrative depends on recency and outcome bias, and tell me what's more likely to happen in future through regression.

It gives me a different way to see player choices on the pitch, which is both a positive and a negative as it gives hope when somethings look bad, but also tempers optimism when good things happen too.

So everything that makes watching football pointless and sterile then. You dont even need to see the game. Enjoy.

Remind me again which competition brings in alot more money and has the better reward?

Its not about money!!!!

This was Woolwich...That transcends money.

Calling out people for NOT being true fans for complaining about Poch putting out a second/third string team?

This was the scum.

"True fan" chest beating from you = pandering and fluffing your own ego. Esp since you have another teams colors in your avatar. You don't get it. Poch does not get it.

When keeping it real goes wrong.

Back
Top Bottom