TAG AND SOS

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yes, we were lucky to get fourth twice as we didn't have the ability to do that without someone else under performing. We had that happen both years we finished fourth.

Yet Woolwich Liverpool and Utd have been underachieving for the last few seasons, and we have come 5th and 6th.
How many teams needed to underperform last season?

Still was a good achievement from us, but wasn't something that should be expected to happen every year.
Why not? If the same amount, or more teams are underperforming these last few years?
I´ll tell you why. Because we have also regressed.

Money is the thing that matters because it lets you buy more high quality players. We can't buy as many high quality players as richer clubs. That means we can't replace stars when they leave, and need to take bigger risks when signing players.
We needed to 7pts to finish 4th last year. Stoke, Palace, WBA. Again....how much money did we need to take more than 1pt from those games.

It doesn't mean we can't reach the Champion's League
So why did you say this:
We don't have the resources to build a Champion's League quality squad right now.

We were actually lucky to finish better than 9th last year, given our underlying numbers. This year, things look very different, the team are playing differently and the underlying numbers look a good deal more promising. It would still be a hell of a lucky achievement to finish better than 5th, as that would be a clear over-achievement based on the wage bill.
So we´ve improved the squad on last year, things look much better, we´ve sorted the core problems, but it would unrealistic to better last year because our wage bill is lower. You are a true mong.

That doesn't change the fact that we're playing in a league where 5 clubs have much more money than we do, and can outpay for talent, both in terms of transfer fees and wages. That means they can get the players we can't, and can sign enough of them that when one gets injured, it's less of an issue.
It wasnt a lack of money why we didnt get Berahino, or anyone for that money. We spent £50M odd, and had another 22M we were willing to spend on deadline day. Poor us.

It just means that most of the time, we're not going to make the top 4, until we have enough money to pay for a squad of consistent Champion's League quality.
Or while we have managers who dont have the ability to get us there and/or a chairman who is not fullt supporting them.

The money spent doesn't change that anything can happen in any given game.
:avbfacepalm:

But we cant compete cos of money

The money spent didn't matter when we beat Chelsea, lost to Stoke, beat WBA, or lost to Villa. It also didn't matter when Barcelona lost to Celta fucking Vigo last year. Stuff can happen.
Yes, stuff like making it into the CL and building on that foundation

But more money means more consistency. And we're consistently finishing at or just above the amount of money we're spending. If you think we should be consistently finishing better than that, you're saying that literally everyone in the footballing world is doing it wrong.
What the fuck is this bollocks?
What Im saying is, we are worse off now, than we was when we were a top 4 team.

Disagree all you like. You just said its unlikely we will finish 5th. That will be par, or worse than what AVB and Tim got. Progression indeed. Cock.

Oi lads, we're much better now than we were 4 - 5 years ago.

All that winning in the San Siro & beating the CL holders at the Lane. Pony.

Having one striker, being allergic to passing forward, drawing away at Leicester & losing 3 - 0 at Stoke is where the party is at.

Liven up.

Last edited:

Having one striker, being allergic to passing forward, drawing away at Leicester & losing 3 - 0 at Stoke is where the party is at.

Liven up.

Dont forget, we are also much better than last year, but expect to finish lower because our wage bill is less now.

Liven up.

Don't forget scraping a 2-2 draw at home to Stoke who took us to the cleaners when Harry went off!
Or the goalless home draw against Everton where we could well have lost it!

Not good enough IMO but some on here seem happy with these performances!

Wait until we play someone decent!

Surely we'll beat the Mackems on Sunday the worst team in the prem.
Won't we???

:vertna:

Yet Woolwich Liverpool and Utd have been underachieving for the last few seasons, and we have come 5th and 6th.
How many teams needed to underperform last season?

Why not? If the same amount, or more teams are underperforming these last few years?
I´ll tell you why. Because we have also regressed.

We needed to 7pts to finish 4th last year. Stoke, Palace, WBA. Again....how much money did we need to take more than 1pt from those games.

So why did you say this:

So we´ve improved the squad on last year, things look much better, we´ve sorted the core problems, but it would unrealistic to better last year because our wage bill is lower. You are a true mong.

It wasnt a lack of money why we didnt get Berahino, or anyone for that money. We spent £50M odd, and had another 22M we were willing to spend on deadline day. Poor us.

Or while we have managers who dont have the ability to get us there and/or a chairman who is not fullt supporting them.

:avbfacepalm:

But we cant compete cos of money

Yes, stuff like making it into the CL and building on that foundation

What the fuck is this bollocks?
What Im saying is, we are worse off now, than we was when we were a top 4 team.

Disagree all you like. You just said its unlikely we will finish 5th. That will be par, or worse than what AVB and Tim got. Progression indeed. Cock.
Never said it was progress. But your reading comprehension is shocking sammy.

United finished outside the top 4 once. They're not title winners right now, but they're still a filthy fucking rich club who can buy their way into the Champion's League places. We can't do that.

You're equating one game with an entire season, and not getting the point. In any one game, anything can happen. How much money you have as a club generally dictates what is most likely to happen. When we finish 6th, on a 6th place wage bill, with the 5 higher spending clubs ahead of us, that's what is most likely to happen over the course of a season. It doesn't mean it is guaranteed, carved in stone or anything else.

You are claiming that we should, by al rights, be able to do something considered unlikely every single year. What you're suggesting we should do every year has happened 9 times since 2000-2001. Out of 56 total top 4 finishers since then, 9 of them had wage bills lower than the fourth highest.

I never said we were as good as we were in the years we finished in the top 4. That's why I said they were peak years. I also don't think it should be expected that we were going to do that every year. We sold, Modric, Bale, lost VdV, hired a guy who couldn't keep focused on the job, then hired the wrong replacement, and were unable to replace talent at the same level.

We did not have the money to buy our way out of those situations. When a club with top 4 levels of revenue has that kind of problem, they are able to buy enough replacement players that they can generally muddle their way though, like LVG did last year for Utd.

We can't do that. We can generally finish 5th or 6th, and if things really work out, finish 4th. But that's not a likely result, and you can call me as many names as you like, it still doesn't change the reality that we most likely are not going to finish in the top 4, in any given year.

Nailed on Lamela hat-trick.
:lamelashock:

I went to the corresponding fixture last season and Lamela played well causing them problems with O'Shea resorting to kicking him at every opportunity!

Ade had a nightmare and Harry scored an OG when he came on to replace him!

Natives quite friendly though unlike that shower of shite up the road!
:angryscouser:

Liven up.

Ye of little faith...This thread is going to be so bumpworthy in a years time.

Poch, don't let me down you oddly attractive and ugly at the same time person.

United finished outside the top 4 once. They're not title winners right now, but they're still a filthy fucking rich club who can buy their way into the Champion's League places. We can't do that.

Utd being filthy rich made us drop points against WBA, Stoke and Palace? Ok

You're equating one game with an entire season, and not getting the point. In any one game, anything can happen. How much money you have as a club generally dictates what is most likely to happen. When we finish 6th, on a 6th place wage bill, with the 5 higher spending clubs ahead of us, that's what is most likely to happen over the course of a season. It doesn't mean it is guaranteed, carved in stone or anything else.

This can happen! That can happen! But it might not! But it might! And it can! But it doesnt mean it will!

Fuck off mate

You are claiming that we should, by al rights, be able to do something considered unlikely every single year.
Its not unlikely when the same amount (or more teams) are underperforming as when we got 4th twice.

What you're suggesting we should do every year has happened 9 times since 2000-2001. Out of 56 total top 4 finishers since then, 9 of them had wage bills lower than the fourth highest.
And what you are saying is that we are better now than we was when we got 4th.

I never said we were as good as we were in the years we finished in the top 4. That's why I said they were peak years.
Good, finally admitting we have regressed. Well done.

. We sold, Modric, Bale, lost VdV, hired a guy who couldn't keep focused on the job, then hired the wrong replacement, and were unable to replace talent at the same level.
Regression. Just like I said.

We did not have the money to buy our way out of those situations. When a club with top 4 levels of revenue has that kind of problem, they are able to buy enough replacement players that they can generally muddle their way though, like LVG did last year for Utd.
We spent £110M one season, and just spent about 50M this year, and would have spend over 70M had WBA sold Berahino. Buying the wrong players over your managers head is not lack of spending power.

We can't do that. We can generally finish 5th or 6th, and if things really work out, finish 4th. But that's not a likely result, and you can call me as many names as you like, it still doesn't change the reality that we most likely are not going to finish in the top 4, in any given year.
Not with a weak squad and tactically limited managers we wont.

I went to the corresponding fixture last season and Lamela played well causing them problems with O'Shea resorting to kicking him at every opportunity!

Ade had a nightmare and Harry scored an OG when he came on to replace him!

Natives quite friendly though unlike that shower of shite up the road!
:angryscouser:
They probably love any visitors they can get, because of their neighbours up the road, hence the friendliness.

Utd being filthy rich made us drop points against WBA, Stoke and Palace? Ok

This can happen! That can happen! But it might not! But it might! And it can! But it doesnt mean it will!

Fuck off mate

Its not unlikely when the same amount (or more teams) are underperforming as when we got 4th twice.

And what you are saying is that we are better now than we was when we got 4th.

Good, finally admitting we have regressed. Well done.

Regression. Just like I said.

We spent £110M one season, and just spent about 50M this year, and would have spend over 70M had WBA sold Berahino. Buying the wrong players over your managers head is not lack of spending power.

Not with a weak squad and tactically limited managers we wont.
Still not getting it, are you? It's a basic matter of probability. Big, scary, evil math. It is improbable we would finish 4th regularly, given our wage spending. I didn't say impossible, I said improbably. The world could also end tomorrow in a meteor strike or volcanic eruption. That's also improbable. Not impossible.

You like to harp on single games, but the point is that every team is going to lose games they shouldn't, during the year. The richer clubs are able to build squads that are good enough they win more games, more often. That doesn't mean they won't lose games on occasion. It just means it's more likely they will win. That's why bookies offer the odds they do. They're measuring what's more or less probable. Not what's possible.

Transfer spending has no relationship to finishing positions, hence the reason I'm not bringing it up. You can spending 110 million, 50 million, or 0. That doesn't predict where you will finish. Wages, on the other hand, generally do.

They probably love any visitors they can get, because of their neighbours up the road, hence the friendliness.

I took Mrs B who liked Kaboul's legs but other than that we had a good day as we were the only Spurs fans in that part of the ground and no-one minded me doing a jig when Eriksen scored!
:eriksenlol:

Without the ability to pay players 200k a week I think it is impossible to be a regular champions league participant from this country. The only way to do it is to mould young players and elevate them to the level of a 200k a week but the problem with that is its a matter of time until said player wants 200k a week thus meaning said player will want to leave ,leaving the club with the difficult feat of reproducing this formula time and time again.

It is impossible in this era of football for Spurs or any other Club outside the elite clubs to be a regular champions league participants without a sheikh or oligarch.

The only way to do it is to mould young players and elevate them to the level of a 200k a week

haha......I look forward to Mason and Bentaleb and Dier and Davies being 200K a week players. LOL

This is the most negative bullshit Ive ever heard. The new mantra. We cant do it without money.

All that means is we are not good enough basically.

Personally, I think with the right additions and management, and backing from Levy we could get there. far more positive than this idiotic "we cant compete with an average Utd and scum" and need world class players in every position and a billion pound wage bill....to get FOURTH.

Mugs

I do love how Sammy is foolish enough to think that top footballers aren't greedy cunts, and that we don't need to have one of the highest wage bills to be competing for the title. Which competing for 4th essentially is. If you can finish 4th consistently you can compete for the title.

This is why city and Chelsea pay their players less than we do of course, because you don't need to pay top players well obviously. Money has NOTHING to do with it from what Sammy is saying.

I do love how Sammy is foolish enough to think that top footballers aren't greedy cunts, and that we don't need to have one of the highest wage bills to be competing for the title. Which competing for 4th essentially is. If you can finish 4th consistently you can compete for the title.

This is why city and Chelsea pay their players less than we do of course, because you don't need to pay top players well obviously. Money has NOTHING to do with it from what Sammy is saying.

We have money.

We spent 110M and came 6th. It was policy that ruined our chances.

As I keep pointing out, how much money did we need to beat WBA, Stoke and Palace last season.

That would have seen us 4th.

Please answer. What was the cost of taking 7pts instead of 1 from those games?

We have money.

We spent 110M and came 6th. It was policy that ruined our chances.

As I keep pointing out, how much money did we need to beat WBA, Stoke and Palace last season.

That would have seen us 4th.

Please answer. What was the cost of taking 7pts instead of 1 from those games?

We could have signed Messi robben and ronaldo and still lost those fucking games. Anything can happen on its day and by your exact same logic if we should be beating those teams we should be losing to city, Chelsea, Woolwich and utd every time as well.

Back
Top Bottom