January 2015 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
There were quite a few 'fringe' players available as well - even on loan deals, namely Milner, Podolski, Shaquiri, Salah, Jovetic, Destro, Mirallas, etc.

Of those Podolski (Scum), Shaqiri (wanted to go to Italy), Salah (Chavs) were impossible deals. Probably Milner and Jovetic too as we're too close at the table. If they were available I would have guessed other trying? Mirallas being their most important player - a no go for them, although we might try in the summer again? Destro? To come and sit on the bench because of Kane?

You make it sound that we can just buy whoever we want and they would come running. Of those above mentioned I can't see any easy deals at all.

Last edited:
Uh, neither of your links show anything about West Brom slapping a price on Berahino. The first has Pulis acknowledging he might sell the player if he feels Berahino won't perform. The second link is a pretty form-letterish set of quotes where Berahino admits to having ambitions bigger than WBA.

All discussions of price tags are speculative sentences by the paper, with no link to the quoted remarks.

Clubs don't generally discuss possible prices, unless they want to name a ridiculous number to ward off bids, like when OL's chairman demanded Bale-money for Lacazette:

http://www.espnfc.com/story/2241365...th-bale-lyon-president-jean-michel-aulas-says

I found the Bony hype to be unchanged from the summer. We don't know what Bony wanted, but he seemed to want to be at a Champion's League club. We couldn't offer that, so I can't see how he'd want to come here, especially if he could just wait for a bigger club to come later.

I don't object to people discussing transfer rumours from the press. I object to people constructing entire narratives on them and judging the club based on those narratives.

We have needs, there are players out there who might meet them. We can talk about them without getting invested in the hype-machine that is the sporting press, and subsequently melting en mass when reality doesn't match those fictional narratives.

Look you want a player you offer the price, if Bony turned us down then he turns us down but I have seen nothing to suggest we offered the price Swansea wanted for him to turn us down, we cannot barter over every player and we needed to solve that position, we have had two transfer windows and fialure miserablely to sort it. You can't get players if you don't meet the price tag.

As for media stories, there will almost never be a quote of a manager saying give me 30 million, it doesn't work like that, football is all about difficult negiotation and backroom meetings but if you have several different scources saying this is whats going on that is about as good as you will get on the subject until the deal is finalised. We seemed quite able to get players after the Bale sale even if Baldini fucked up so when we have been in money we have got the job done, doesn't that even suggest we are being a bit tight.

You call everyone who says anything bad about the club a gooner troll and yet now here you are having a meltdown and suggesting we sign Podolski? Speaks for itself really...
Podolski would have improved us - just like Adebayor and Gallas did at the time

Post fail, cunto - must try harder

I object to people constructing entire narratives on them and judging the club based on those narratives.
But this cognitive dissonance is what makes this thread so rewarding!

Out of the same mouth you'll hear "ITK are WUMs, the lowest of the low, true pond scum joined only with the lazy 2 + 2 = 4 football press"

And then "fuck Levy for being so tight-fisted and last minute in failing to sign that player we were linked with in the ITK threads and in the red tops!"

Mirallas being their most important player - a no go for them, although we might try in the summer again?
Mirallas has hardly featured this season, especially after the penalty incident

Those were just some of many examples - there were options out there - deals were possible

lies, there is never anyone to buy..like every year..only southampton and the rest of the league sign players because they use juju witchcraft.

Southampton - who lost their manager, Chambers, Shaw, Lambert, Lallana, Lovren...and then went on a spending spree for that money. Much like Spurs did the year before; only Eriksen and Chadli were definite successess from that summer. Capoue, Chiriches, Paulinho, Lamela and Soldado have either been fiascos or not very successful.

You call everyone who says anything bad about the club a gooner troll and yet now here you are having a meltdown and suggesting we sign Podolski? Speaks for itself really...

He's become a parody of himself. It's like his quest to troll every one and everything has removed any last shred of irony and reason from him, all he knows now is how to type his made up insults. It's like a cat that's gone feral, it can see the litter tray in the corner, but it can't help but bury it's shit under the pillows on the sofa.

We have 0 depth going forward and have relied on 2 players only scoring. We also had the easiest COC draw tbf.

Disagree with this bit I'm afraid. Quarter final. Chelsea, Saints and Liverpool all drew championship teams, we played a premier league side. Semi final yes can't argue with and tbh we still made hard work of that.

We do have depth but the depth has a lack of confidence/real quality which could be a problem. Plus I'd say we've relied on Chadli as well as Eriksen and Kane for goals a bit too much so would have liked to see us add in another option for LW/CF.

However, I'm not totally concerned. January is usually a tough month to do business and not get completely ripped off. I agree with Tucker Tucker that some of the targets you've listed were not realistic (and Mirallas isn't a fringe player imo) but there were certainly players who were available who could have done a job for us. To use your list, I'd have definitely been looking at Shaqiri or anyone on the fringe of the City squad.

I wasn't expecting too much this season, I don't think a lot of us were and we may be passing up an opportunity to push on into the top 4, but hopefully Levy is now buying into the long term rather than a quick fix what we had under Redknapp. We don't know the budgets, the wages etc available for players and transfers so obviously this is all speculation. We don't know if we were trying to offload more players to pave way for signings. What we can do is trust the manager to get the best out of what he's got to work with (hey, he might be more than happy with the squad). As some others have said, we're in contention 3 fronts so it can't really be all that bad.

TL;DR etc etc.

But this cognitive dissonance is what makes this thread so rewarding!

Out of the same mouth you'll hear "ITK are WUMs, the lowest of the low, true pond scum joined only with the lazy 2 + 2 = 4 football press"

And then "fuck Levy for being so tight-fisted and last minute in failing to sign that player we were linked with in the ITK threads and in the red tops!"
Or ArcspacE ArcspacE calling everyone Trolls or melts when he should be looking in the mirror!

Look you want a player you offer the price, if Bony turned us down then he turns us down but I have seen nothing to suggest we offered the price Swansea wanted for him to turn us down, we cannot barter over every player and we needed to solve that position, we have had two transfer windows and fialure miserablely to sort it. You can't get players if you don't meet the price tag.

As for media stories, there will almost never be a quote of a manager saying give me 30 million, it doesn't work like that, football is all about difficult negiotation and backroom meetings but if you have several different scources saying this is whats going on that is about as good as you will get on the subject until the deal is finalised. We seemed quite able to get players after the Bale sale even if Baldini fucked up so when we have been in money we have got the job done, doesn't that even suggest we are being a bit tight.
Well, Pochettino said he wanted no one in summer as he didn't know the squad. So it's not a wasted window, unless you think Levy shouldn't listen to him.

As numerous more creditable people pointed out, in this January many clubs across Europe were facing FFP issues if they excessively bought and sold players. This choked demand and made for a much quieter window than has been the case for several years.

He's become a parody of himself. It's like his quest to troll every one and everything has removed any last shred of irony and reason from him, all he knows now is how to type his made up insults. It's like a cat that's gone feral, it can see the litter tray in the corner, but it can't help but bury it's shit under the pillows on the sofa.
Another well constructed Transfer-related post from the resident OG troll - great contribution once again. Tell us - why did you chase all your 'mates' back to TFC?

Mirallas has hardly featured this season, especially after the penalty incident

Those were just some of many examples - there were options out there - deals were possible

Sure. But then the manager needs to have a look whether the player will fit in at the club. Maybe he wants to keep the squad together until the end of the season and then make a clear cut, with even some of the players on the fringes of the squad given a chance? Capoue, Kaboul, Ade and Paulinho for instance.

The fact that a player also has to agree to move is also a significant part of this.

Can't believe so many are happy to score points against their forum enemies by agreeing that the Transfer Window was a success

:avbfacepalm:

I wasn't expecting too much this season, I don't think a lot of us were and we may be passing up an opportunity to push on into the top 4, but hopefully Levy is now buying into the long term rather than a quick fix what we had under Redknapp.
Me neither - but come January we found ourselves in a favourable position to push on from. I'm just bitterly disappointed we didn't consolidate that by bringing in one quality attacking player to improve the immediate squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom