Tottenham Hotspur v. Burnley

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fazio/Vertonghen is easily the best centre back partnership we have though.
We've not seen all the partnerships though. I badly want to see Dier in there with vertonghen. Reckon they could do a job together.

Fazio is a '7 dangerous free kicks, at least 1 pen & a red card' a season player. Slow as anything and unless you have a lot of skill as a cb you'll get found out loads.

Watched the match today and definitely signs of progress in the first half, with quick accurate passing and space being created in the final third. In the second half we turned sloppy, mainly after Ryan Mason went off injured. Don't know why our defence seems to gift the opposition, but against better sides we'd have been punished. Our -1 goal difference compared to the teams above and below us in the table is quite frankly a huge worry, luckily we have Loris in goal, and this year poor defending seems to be a feature of many teams apart from Chelsea and Man City. If we sort our defence out I can really see this team going from strength to strength but at the moment our goal difference speaks for itself.

We've not seen all the partnerships though. I badly want to see Dier in there with vertonghen. Reckon they could do a job together.

Fazio is a '7 dangerous free kicks, at least 1 pen & a red card' a season player. Slow as anything and unless you have a lot of skill as a cb you'll get found out loads.
Agree, I just want to see Dier have one game at CB to see how he goes.

Fazio is fine. He' a better defender than Vertonghen. Might not be a better 'footballer' but as a defender hes better. He's a beast in the air, plays the ball on the floor and not just one of those hoof it out there for the sake of it type which you usually get for a man his size.

Even when Ings got in behind our defence, he knew he wouldn't match him for speed so he had the intelligence to just force him wide. Unlike Vert who I imagine would have tried pulling his shorts down.

Dier is a big talent, but he is 20. His time will come for sure.

Well if that's what he's due a season at least he's done us the common courtesy of getting it all out of the way in the first half of the season. Even an extra red card for good measure.

Fazio does 97% of stuff well but the other 3% is terrifying.

Well if that's what he's due a season at least he's done us the common courtesy of getting it all out of the way in the first half of the season. Even an extra red card for good measure.

Fazio does 97% of stuff well but the other 3% is terrifying.
Lol I did think that he's basically hit all those targets already but I didn't want to sound too harsh on him

Why wait? Surely if he's got the talent there's no harm in sticking him at cb for a couple games and seeing how he does

Why would you do this though..?

I didn't see the game today, so I have no idea if Fazio had a shocker or not. Even so, we've won the last few games and I think he's improved a lot already.

If you wanted to remove Fazio for a world class CB I could understand. But a 20 year old kid who's only being blooded in himself seems like a bad idea, considering we're winning.

I didn't see the game today, so I have no idea if Fazio had a shocker or not. Even so, we've won the last few games and I think he's improved a lot already.

If you wanted to remove Fazio for a world class CB I could understand. But a 20 year old kid who's only being blooded in himself seems like a bad idea, considering we're winning.
I'm not anti Fazio, but I'd like to see Dier play in his favoured position as I understand it.

I'm not anti Fazio, but I'd like to see Dier play in his favoured position as I understand it.

I'd agree; but for the moment, no chance. I don't see many games where we could comfortably experiment like that, at the moment.

Fiorentina are too good a team to try this with. Wouldn't fancy experimenting in the league cup semi final. Burnley in the FA cup seems a little risky. I'd like to see him tried there, just not seeing the opportunities to experiment.

I'd agree; but for the moment, no chance. I don't see many games where we could comfortably experiment like that, at the moment.

Fiorentina are too good a team to try this with. Wouldn't fancy experimenting in the league cup semi final. Burnley in the FA cup seems a little risky. I'd like to see him tried there, just not seeing the opportunities to experiment.
Not at the moment, I agree - I just never thought we'd get this deep into the season without seeing him in that position.

why not give him a game or 2? Fazio is far from impressing so why should he stay in the line up just because other players are doing well. i don't want fazio binned off completely just wouldn't mind seeing Dier in there given a chance. we signed him as a cb so might as well see what he can do there

I think Fazio will turn out to be a good signing, but he didn't have a great match today and was clearly being targeted by Burnley. Our defence is shaky but it is a unit that takes a bit more time to gel, and we are moving in the right direction.

Burnley played well today but it would have been grossly unfair if they'd got anything out if the game. For me, 4-2 would be a fairer reflection on the play. But that's a decent week for us, from the team and from Poch. We're a young side and the future looks pretty decent at the moment.

why not give him a game or 2? Fazio is far from impressing so why should he stay in the line up just because other players are doing well. i don't want fazio binned off completely just wouldn't mind seeing Dier in there given a chance. we signed him as a cb so might as well see what he can do there
Fazio and Vertonghen have played in our last 6 league games. 4 wins, a draw v Palace (clean sheet) and the loss to Chelsea. I guess nobody would have played Dier v Chelsea. Our league form is good, why mess about with it?

I think Fazio will turn out to be a good signing, but he didn't have a great match today and was clearly being targeted by Burnley. Our defence is shaky but it is a unit that takes a bit more time to gel, and we are moving in the right direction.

Burnley played well today but it would have been grossly unfair if they'd got anything out if the game. For me, 4-2 would be a fairer reflection on the play. But that's a decent week for us, from the team and from Poch. We're a young side and the future looks pretty decent at the moment.
Again, I must be watching a completely different game to everyone else. What was BAD about his game today?

Back
Top Bottom