Summer 2014 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read some people comparing Schneiderlin's situation to Modric's.

Yes, maybe we indeed are giving too much credit to player-power. And I do have the bad feeling that Krueger will be a cunt and will pull a Levy by keeping Schneiderlin for another season. But ... if that does happen, it makes very little sense on Southampton's behalf. They can't afford to do what Levy did.

Some people are speculating that Schneiderlin will eventually (just like Modric) stick it up and get over this, if he's not sold. But I completely doubt it. Modric's situation was very different (in that Summer of 2011). First of all, he was being touted to go to a direct rival (in Chelsea). In all fairness, Saints are not even close to be our rivals. Plus, Modric still had the likes of Bale, VDV, and the same manager, let alone the same expectations and aim at the club. And I could go on and on about how unfair this is for Schneiderlin.

Idk, this saga is ridiculous to me. And if Southampton are trying to give a message, it's a pretty shitty and hypocritical message. In the end we may not get him this Summer, but Southampton will surely be losing more than we would. And it's a shame for Saint's fans that this is going like this for such a likable player.

#SorryRantOver

Plus, Modric still had the likes of Bale, VDV, and the same manager, let alone the same expectations and aim at the club. And I could go on and on about how unfair this is for Schneiderlin.
Decent point. We didn't execute a fire-sale of the squad's core players before Modric decided to pull a bitch fit; we had just gone to the quarter-final of the CL and had missed out on another CL campaign by just a single point.

Saints executed a mass clear-out of the club's best talent, but then stopped at Schneiderlin and said "nope, we're going to make a point with you."

Last edited:
Decent point. We didn't execute a fire-sale of the squad's core players before Modric decided to pull a bitch fit; we had just gone to the quarter-final of the CL and had missed out on another CL campaign by just a single point.

Saints executed a mass clear-out of the club's best talent, but then stopped at Schneiderlin and said "nope, we're going to make a point with you."

Exactly, and that's the thing people seem to be missing about this whole thing.

Imagine being him and watching a player like Rickie Lambert get a move to a club in the CL, Lovren getting his 'Dream Move' after just one average to decent season and Chambers moving to Woolwich for £16M after just 25 games. After 6 years of the service at the club, to be told by the board that you won't be getting your move because they are now going to make a stand, I'd be fucking livid as well.

Exactly, and that's the thing people seem to be missing about this whole thing.

Imagine being him and watching a player like Rickie Lambert get a move to a club in the CL, Lovren getting his 'Dream Move' after just one average to decent season and Chambers moving to Woolwich for £16M after just 25 games. After 6 years of the service at the club, to be told by the board that you won't be getting your move because they are now going to make a stand, I'd be fucking livid as well.

Yeah I remember the day of Schneiderlin's tweet that someone linked a Saints board on here and loads of Saints fans were even saying that if one of their players really deserved and earned a move it was Schneiderlin.

This is all about money regrading MS - the lad has not even put in a transfer request apparently and we have not bid enough . Last day if window we will get him ... Will be amazed if we don't . Those two things happen we will get him

We
This is all about money regrading MS - the lad has not even put in a transfer request apparently and we have not bid enough . Last day if window we will get him ... Will be amazed if we don't . Those two things happen we will get him
The other Saints players sold because they reached
a price they wanted. Levy will piss around in his usual
Fagin style . It would be a new dawn if he truly supported
his manager and provided him with players he wanted to
do the job with. Another truck load of contract bargains, mid level and sell on prospects will only result in our permanent
status as the "nearly men".
Time for change.

We

do the job with. Another truck load of contract bargains, mid level and sell on prospects will only result in our permanent
Time for change.
He's using intelligent economic progress, we do not have the money to buy the league like City and Chelsea. I really cannot see how people want what was the eventual demise of Leeds, Portsmouth and fatally Wimbledon.

He's using intelligent economic progress, we do not have the money to buy the league like City and Chelsea. I really cannot see how people want what was the eventual demise of Leeds, Portsmouth and fatally Wimbledon.
"Intelligent economlc progress "
The passions and dreams of all schoolboys

We

Time for change.

Yes.... We hate him so much for the great deals he gets. VDV £8m, Eriksen £11m what a twat.

I'd much rather he spend £40m on Heskey.....:pochserious2:

I personally don't want Levy to spend in excess of £20m on a player we don't really need that much, who the manager hasn't really said he's that bothered about, and where that money could be spent on a player that we do need in a position that would make the manager's job much easier.

Yes.... We hate him so much for the great deals he gets. VDV £8m, Eriksen £11m what a twat.

I personally don't want Levy to spend in excess of £20m on a player we don't really need that much, who the manager hasn't really said he's that bothered about, and where that money could be spent on a player that we do need in a position that would make the manager's job much easier.
Yes a "Fools Paradise " in the sporting sense.
I

We

Time for change.

SIN

BIN

NOW

:adesalute:

We

Time for change.
"Arise, ye workers from your slumber,
Arise, ye prisoners of want.
For reason in revolt now thunders,
and at last ends the age of cant!
Away with all your superstitions,
Servile masses, arise, arise!
We'll change henceforth the old tradition,
And spurn the dust to win the prize!
So comrades, come rally,
And the last fight let us face.
The Internationale,
Unites the human race.
So comrades, come rally,
And the last fight let us face.
The Internationale,
Unites the human race."

*disagree*

He's using intelligent economic progress, we do not have the money to buy the league like City and Chelsea. I really cannot see how people want what was the evental demise of Leeds, Portsmouth and fatally Wimbledon.

Comparing the ambitions and expectations of the fans of a club like Tottenham Hotspur FC, with our history, fan base and global name in world football with the likes of Wimbledon and Portsmouth is so fucking pathetic it aint really worth a reply. Why so many people feel the need to use these comparisons is beyond me. All that some of us want is to see is the club we love maybe take that gamble now and then. Make a concerted effort to push on, unlike when we were actually in the title hunt 3 years ago in January and strengthened the team with upcoming starlets Saha and a Ryan Nelsen.

Over all I agree DL has done, is doing a decent job. His ability to emotionally detach and be able to calculate a return on a player (should that player want/grow away) 3-4 seasons down the line is his strength. However! On occasion, in this case Schniederlin, who I would say is being over priced by about 10 mill by Soton. If Poch, who obviously knows MS fairly well, thinks that he could well be the missing link for us. Then imo opinion, 27 mill (and I have faith in MP) just might end up looking cheap, if MS (within Poch's system) drives us on to consistent CL football and in style. Appreciate its a gamble, as the majority of transfers are and DL always likes the odds in his favour. But just once in a while, have a punt! Especially as in this case, the player and what he can bring is known. Increasing the odds slightly in our favour.

Comparing the ambitions and expectations of the fans of a club like Tottenham Hotspur FC, with our history, fan base and global name in world football with the likes of Wimbledon and Portsmouth is so fucking pathetic it aint really worth a reply. Why so many people feel the need to use these comparisons is beyond me. All that some of us want is to see is the club we love maybe take that gamble now and then. Make a concerted effort to push on, unlike when we were actually in the title hunt 3 years ago in January and strengthened the team with upcoming starlets Saha and a Ryan Nelsen.
The philosophy of running the club stands true in the comparison to the clubs you quoted and more so to failing to quote Leeds. I agree with your notion towards Nelson and Saha, but, if you've read my comments on the matter you will know that I believe Levy has handed over the rights to choose players to Baldini. Doing this he has admitted that there may be others who can do that role better than himself.

What we're looking at, if you look at it indirectly or objectively, is a club that wants to secure a financial future, develop it's own players and make that slow rise. As I commented in my previous post; we do not have the funding to buy the league. What we do have is a sound business plan that is slowly coming together, with ENIC in charge of the club we will unlikely fall out of the Uefa Cup as a minimum. This, to me, is lightyears ahead of the same club I grew up with in the 90's whereby what we have now as a bad season was a distant dream under Sugar.

Please don't put yourself in the niche of wanting instant success over night as it simply is not logical with the backing our clubs gets, if you do truly want that then please pop over to Chelsea and stay there as this is what our club does not need.

This off season we have identified all but one critical area of the team in terms of on field progression, we have employed a manager that fits the bill of what is being screamed by our Chairman. We do not need to spend massively and we are not making silly signings any more, not for a couple of seasons at least. Sure there are flops, but each transfer since Baldini and a little before has been well thought through. If we carry on within this fashion then we will most certainly secure the illusive 4th place Cup, taking the same philosophy as we have now we will then progress to challenging.

The next step, when we get there and only when we get there, is to bring in players that we all have watery mouths over. These types of players will not come to us whilst we're in the Uefa Cup for obvious reasons. Those that we regret selling were not on the wanted list by the elite, we picked them up broadened them and created the household names.

I am not saying it is perfect as anything can be enhanced, but, what I am saying is I believe in the philosophy we have now and can see us progressing within the next 5-10 years as a main title contender each season. Good things come to those who wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom