New Manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yep, the man Tim did the double over and finished two places below him. He's obviously what we need, not a clueless, dimwit like Tim who hasn't got the first idea of football management according to some of the Spurs football experts in cyberspace.

You couldn't make it up. You don't need to, it might actually happen :roflmao:

But as I've said, if it does I'll back him, you see because I support the club.

Yep, the man Tim did the double over and finished two places below him. He's obviously what we need, not a clueless, dimwit like Tim who hasn't got the first idea of football management according to some of the Spurs football experts in cyberspace.

You know who Southampton have also beaten? Brendan Rodgers' Liverpool.

Did you know Gus Poyet has beaten Mourinho - twice - this season? Tony Pulis and Alan Pardew have also beaten Mourinho this season.

You see how that argument is so flawed? Why not focus on the fact that he has improved individuals such as Rodriguez, Lallana and Shaw massively, he has improved the squad massively and he has completely changed their style of play? What has being beaten by a much better, more-invested squad got to do with anything?

Last edited:

Based on that, I pick whoever they want

I very much hate the idea of being held hostage by any group of players, but considering how difficult it is to come by Prem-level CDM's and CB's in particular, economically it makes sense to have to weigh the wishes of such a group. I hate Vertonghen's attitude from this past year, but if there's an option that would get him not only to stay but likely very reinterested and possibly on par with how he was last season, that's unfortunately something that inevitably must be taken into consideration however small it may be of a factor.

Last edited:
You know who Southampton have also beaten? Brendan Rodgers' Liverpool.

Did you know both Gus Poyet has beaten Mourinho - twice - this season?

You see how that argument is so flawed? Why not focus on the fact that he has improved individuals such as Rodriguez, Lallana and Shaw massively, he has improved the squad massively and he has completely changed their style of play? What has being beaten by a much better, more-invested squad got to do with anything?

Come on.

You can't reason with irrationality, so I wouldn't bother.

Team Tim are just griping now, forgetting that there's more to management than points in the league.

As far as man-management goes, and media handling, Pochettino smashes Tim out of the park - even if I'm not 100% sure whether he's going to be the best man for the job.

It's a different world my friend, hate to even say it. You're well within your reasonable grounds to despise it though, and in fact I respect you for it.

It's not, just hear about it more these days. Tim tried it 11 years ago with Hoddle and failed.

That player power story could be a load of crap though to be fair. Seems a huge thing for them to say that to the board. Still if it's true, I would wonder about what's going on when a cabal of senior players makes such a big demand. Rights and wrongs of player power aside, ideally a manager does not alienate that group of players to such an extent that they will leave the club if he stays!

Not overly keen on Poch but if he's the one then I'll be 100% behind him & then wonder why levy sacks him at Christmas only to make Danny Rose player/manager

Remember when avb came in and the boos started in his first home game I think, against Norwich, then the same again against west Brom? It was unbelievable really. Levy probably makes jokes on the Fighting Chairmen board about mercurial Spurs fans hyping managers up then calling for their head a game later...

It's not, just hear about it more these days. Tim tried it 11 years ago with Hoddle and failed.

Oh I've no doubt players have tried it in the past and have even been successful, but the simple fact of the matter is in today's game in which these players go for incredible sums of money, their words and threats inevitably hold more weight than they did even 10-15 years ago.

Remember when avb came in and the boos started in his first home game I think, against Norwich, then the same again against west Brom? It was unbelievable really. Levy probably makes jokes on the Fighting Chairmen board about mercurial Spurs fans hyping managers up then calling for their head a game later...

Levy should be stronger in regards to not sacking managers but I think the fanbase has had a significant role with the firings. There was a very heavy AVB out sentiment at the end. We need to take it upon ourselves to get vehemently behind whoever the manager is so we avoid what has happened these last six months.

....only to make Danny Rose player/manager

onfire.gif

This is a good read on Pochettino. What he did at Espanyol is much more impressive than it looks on the suhttp://cartilagefreecaptain.sbnatlion.com/2014/5/13/5713048/mauricio-pochettino-tottenham-hotspur-manager

I remember listening to an interview with Greg Stobart who writes for Goal about Spurs in February or March. This was when it still looked like LVG was going to come in and there was a discussion about Dutch players that might come in. The interviewer suggested perhaps Kevin Strootman would be the perfect answer to our midfield issues. What Greg said which I thought was very smart was that if we want a guy like Strootman we need to buy him when he's leaving PSV, not after he's proved himself to be a big time player at Roma. That is simply the reality of being a club of our size and in our financial situation, we need to buy players on their potential to take a step up rather than ones who have already proved it. For example: Berbatov, Modric, Carrick, Eriksen, and Vertonghen. These are guys that looked primed to take the next step and have. We need to identify and scout well and buy at a tier lower than some of the clubs we are competing with just because of our size.

Why I bring this up is because it is the same with managers. We've been linked to the likes of Ancellotti, Klopp, Simeone, Mourinho (two years ago) etc but we all know that's nonsense. Instead what we need to be doing is finding the next Ancellotti, Klopp, or Simeone. That's where the club needs to be smart in their studies, fact-finding, and interviewing. They need to identify who is the next big thing. That may require us to take a punt on Pochettino, De Boer, or Tuchel.

That's why the LVG scenario was so tantalizing because he was a manager with a history that actually matched our ambition. But ultimately our financial size is much lower than our footballing ambition and that puts us in a spot where we lack the ability to attract a coach that has proved it at the level we would feel comfortable.

In the end, it is extremely unlikely that our manager will have an unassailable resume. I could pick holes through Pochettino, Benitez, FDB, Tuchel, Moyes etc etc. Our ambition outweighs our pull for the most part. We just have to hope that the club has found it's homework and they select someone who they believe is a good fit at the club both tactically and personality wise.

There is no sure fire blueprint for success. We just have to hope we find the next big thing. We've done it with players, now it is time to do it with a manager.

You keep talking about our size as if were a small club and cant compete. When I was growing up the Spurs were one of the biggest names in England, if not in Europe. Just because a couple of rich cunts put a few quid into smaller clubs like Chelsea doesn`t suddenly make us this small feeder club you seem to refer to. Tottenham Hotspur FC is a fucking big club. And its about time we finally started acting like one again.

Last edited:
I mean we could certainly debate the advantages and disadvantages of those two but at the end of the day anyone who says they are certain one is better than the other is just chancing. You can make a compelling case for or against both.

It is up to the club who have significantly more footballing nous, manpower, resources and finally access to an interview of these men, to put all these factors together and decide which one they believe is a better fit.
Firstly, which one wants the job?

You keep talking about our size as if were a small club and cant compete. When I was growing up the Spurs were one of the biggest names in England, if not in Europe. Just because a couple of rich cunts put a few quid into smaller clubs like Chelsea doesn`t suddenly make us this small feeder club you seem to refer to. Tottenham Hotspur FC is a fucking big club. And its about time we finally started acting like one again.

I'm not really moved by the whole big club small club argument. It means nothing to me. You're as big or as small as your results on the field and ultimately as a supporter Tottenham will always be the biggest club in my eyes. However, it's pretty clear that players and managers of the highest level don't think we are the most desirable club. LVG, Modric, Willian, Bale, Berbatov etc.

I don't know what being a big club means but IMO we are working at a disadvantage in comparison to the other clubs we are competing with. They have more money and thus are able to attract players and coaches that we want. I don't think there's any shame in admitting that.

I'm not really moved by the whole big club small club argument. It means nothing to me. You're as big or as small as your results on the field and ultimately as a supporter Tottenham will always be the biggest club in my eyes.
Can't agree with that. It's also about fan base and wealth. United and Liverpool have both trailed us at various points recently, but there is no question that their fandom and wealth far outweighs ours. That's just fact, whether we like it or not. Therefore it follows that when clubs like that have a dip they have the better reputation and financial power to recover.

Can't agree with that. It's also about fan base and wealth. United and Liverpool have both trailed us at various points recently, but there is no question that their fandom and wealth far outweighs ours. That's just fact, whether we like it or not. Therefore it follows that when clubs like that have a dip they have the better reputation and financial power to recover.

That's a much more specific and discriminatory take and a bit beside the point, but in general the trend he points to is correct. Other than that, it seems in truth that the both of you are making the same point.

You couldn't make it up. You don't need to, it might actually happen :roflmao:

But as I've said, if it does I'll back him, you see because I support the club.
Liverpool appointed Brendan Rodgers in 2012, in the same season his Swansea side finished three places below them. If the man is good enough for the job, then it doesn't matter if his team finished below the season beforehand (his Southampton team have much smaller budget to work with than Spurs do).

Arrigo Sacchi was in charge of a Serie B team when Berlusconi appointed him as manager of AC Milan, yet within two seasons he won the European Cup with the Rossoneri

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom