Smartest ambitions for the remainder of the season...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Should we aim to finish 8th and dodge the Europa League?

• Yes. Fuck the Europa League. Start playing on Saturdays again and hit the domestic competitions hard

Votes: 20 22.2%
  • No. To quote Bill Nick: "If we're not in Europe, we're nothing. We're nothing."

Votes: 70 77.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I hate this situation, because I can see positives for both outcomes. Personally, I would like to qualify for next years EL, because with the right manager (Please Lord, LVG) I think we stand a real chance of winning it, and I would rather have that big fucking shiny trophy to rub in other clubs faces than being able to gloat that we got further than them in a competition. 2008 CC > Getting Dicked by Madrid in the QF's.

I hate the way the EL is set up. I agree that letting CL losers in devalues the thing.

I also hate English snobs who harp on about playing teams they've never heard of. I, personally, get excited about the prospect of learning about new clubs and places. You really want a group stage of some Scottish side, an Irish side, and a mid-tier Dutch side? Boring. I would go mental if Spurs drew a Lithuanian side. And everyone who came would get their stomachs pumped courtesy of my generosity. Even the playoff rounds of the EL mean a lot out here. We were terrified when Poznań came to Vilnius last summer, for example. They went mental, trashed the place, and stole my hat.

I also hate that we got a super unlucky draw that coupled three long trips with clubs of dodgy quality because of reasons that go beyond football (namely: €€€). But that's why it's a, wait for it, random draw.

I also hate that we have looked shaky after EL matches. But we did after CL matches as well, and if we're going to be a top, top club, then managing fixture congestion is part of what will solidify that position. Plus if our players need to "gel", surely more opportunities to do so will only help them gel faster.

I also hate that Liverpool have played so well without Europe. But they're also on season two of the Rodgers Project, Sturridge has settled in (our not buying him was a mistake I complained about last year), they have found value in a cast-off called Coutinho, and Suárez has further settled in without the distractions of previous seasons. Those details make it look like it made sense for them to improve greatly. Furthermore, they have shown league winning form basically all season, tailing off gradually. That means they also handled their cup congestion reasonably. Though I don't recall when they fell out of the LC.

I also hate the mentality, noted by 1882 1882 , that we have a better chance of getting CL by ignoring a competition that, if we won, would get us CL. We should aim to win everything every season. Didn't we used to laugh at Wenger for his Mickey Mouse cup approach to the LC? Now they're poised to raise the FA Cup. And we're still talking about that Mickey Mouse Cup win.

I also, above all, fucking hate tanking. This isn't the NBA. If we slip in the table, that's fewer matches televised next year, which further reduces our revenues against clubs with more televised matches, more tickets, and more CL money. Losers give up. People seriously want Spurs to have an even wider financial gap just because, cry cry, Eastern Europe is far from London? Whatever happened to glory? Lights? All white kits?

It's just so frustrating to properly evaluate. We make it so hard on ourselves after midweek games and I don't understand why we can't sort it out considering our gigantic squad.

It's also a horrendously set up competition. The CL teams dropping in is inane and it's so long. If we were to go to the Final this year we would end up playing 17 games.

Ultimately, I'd rather be in as I want to watch us play as much as possible and it's great to have Europe. It's annoying though because it feels like it could be a really great competition if a few rule changes occurred.

It's just so frustrating to properly evaluate. We make it so hard on ourselves after midweek games and I don't understand why we can't sort it out considering our gigantic squad.

It's also a horrendously set up competition. The CL teams dropping in is inane and it's so long. If we were to go to the Final this year we would end up playing 17 games.

Ultimately, I'd rather be in as I want to watch us play as much as possible and it's great to have Europe. It's annoying though because it feels like it could be a really great competition if a few rule changes occurred.

Exactly, the whole CL rejects dropping in makes it so frustrating.

Gerrard - modric
Sturridge - berba
Suarez - bale

I'm not sure where you're coming from there. There's absolutely no comparison. Modric wasn't a lifelong spurs fan or youth product that has won 2 FA Cups, 3 League Cups, 2 Community Shields, a CL, a UEFA Cup & a UEFA Super Cup with said team.

Also, Sturridge was a lot of money for an Andy Carroll Mk2. It's his second season and luckily for Liverpool he's met the price tag.

No one bid £86m for Suarez. That one is simple.

Gerrard stayed as he's a lifelong fan, and no one has bid silly money for the other two.

No comparisons there

I want to play in the EL, but not if we don't have a manager who values it. Don't play Naughton and Kane in the play-off, for fuck's sake! You play a cup to win it, which means you need a 100% squad.
Until we have a manager who is truly dedicated to the EL, we might as well spare our players.

Winning it next year gives you champions league qualification, which is a lot more prestigious than finishing 4th.

I'm not sure where you're coming from there. There's absolutely no comparison. Modric wasn't a lifelong spurs fan or youth product that has won 2 FA Cups, 3 League Cups, 2 Community Shields, a CL, a UEFA Cup & a UEFA Super Cup with said team.

toffee_gerrard.jpg

And to think we have a pop at tim for growing up a woolwich fan.

CJJ CJJ the point i was trying to make is that they are holding on to decent players over the last couple of years and then you step back and look at us- can you name me a player we have held on to when the big boys have come sniffing ?

I hate the way the EL is set up. I agree that letting CL losers in devalues the thing.

I also hate English snobs who harp on about playing teams they've never heard of. I, personally, get excited about the prospect of learning about new clubs and places. You really want a group stage of some Scottish side, an Irish side, and a mid-tier Dutch side? Boring. I would go mental if Spurs drew a Lithuanian side. And everyone who came would get their stomachs pumped courtesy of my generosity. Even the playoff rounds of the EL mean a lot out here. We were terrified when Poznań came to Vilnius last summer, for example. They went mental, trashed the place, and stole my hat.

I also hate that we got a super unlucky draw that coupled three long trips with clubs of dodgy quality because of reasons that go beyond football (namely: €€€). But that's why it's a, wait for it, random draw.

I also hate that we have looked shaky after EL matches. But we did after CL matches as well, and if we're going to be a top, top club, then managing fixture congestion is part of what will solidify that position. Plus if our players need to "gel", surely more opportunities to do so will only help them gel faster.

I also hate that Liverpool have played so well without Europe. But they're also on season two of the Rodgers Project, Sturridge has settled in (our not buying him was a mistake I complained about last year), they have found value in a cast-off called Coutinho, and Suárez has further settled in without the distractions of previous seasons. Those details make it look like it made sense for them to improve greatly. Furthermore, they have shown league winning form basically all season, tailing off gradually. That means they also handled their cup congestion reasonably. Though I don't recall when they fell out of the LC.

I also hate the mentality, noted by 1882 1882 , that we have a better chance of getting CL by ignoring a competition that, if we won, would get us CL. We should aim to win everything every season. Didn't we used to laugh at Wenger for his Mickey Mouse cup approach to the LC? Now they're poised to raise the FA Cup. And we're still talking about that Mickey Mouse Cup win.

I also, above all, fucking hate tanking. This isn't the NBA. If we slip in the table, that's fewer matches televised next year, which further reduces our revenues against clubs with more televised matches, more tickets, and more CL money. Losers give up. People seriously want Spurs to have an even wider financial gap just because, cry cry, Eastern Europe is far from London? Whatever happened to glory? Lights? All white kits?
I don't think i've ever agreed more with a post on TFC. Bravo.

:adebaehug:

Let's try and (shock horror), win our games and get some players fixed in the team. No need for rotation with fewer midweek games. That means seeing how Townsend does, playing Eriksen more centrally, seeing if you can get him, Ade and Soldado in the same side as they are the only three who look on the same wavelength, working out what to do with the left side, working out the best centre back pairing etc etc.

All time for it to be ripped up in the summer :)

toffee_gerrard.jpg

And to think we have a pop at tim for growing up a woolwich fan.

If that's Gerrard, he's been at Liverpool since he was 9. I'm not quite sure he could help what his dad dressed him in when he was about 6 years old

CJJ CJJ the point i was trying to make is that they are holding on to decent players over the last couple of years and then you step back and look at us- can you name me a player we have held on to when the big boys have come sniffing ?

Yes, Modric when Chelsea bid for him. And Bale was going nowhere until Real paid a ridiculous amount.

There's no question whatsoever that Suarez would have gone for £60m, never mind £86m.

Might be worth pointing out Fernando Torres, Xabi Alonso, Meireles, Mascherano.....

Valid point mate, but it still feels to me as if each season we always let one influential player leave and look to rebuild over and over again without putting up a fight, thats why i done the player comparison. At the end of the day saying liverpool are doing well because they aren't in europe and that if we dont qualify for a european competition we will do the same is complete and utter rubbish.

Valid point mate, but it still feels to me as if each season we always let one influential player leave and look to rebuild over and over again without putting up a fight, thats why i done the player comparison. At the end of the day saying liverpool are doing well because they aren't in europe and that if we dont qualify for a european competition we will do the same is complete and utter rubbish.

I'd say liverpool are doing well because they've had chance to de-Dalglish the team before this season and are now playing the tika-taka football BR is known for.

Essentially, it comes down to a multitude of factors, not having Europe helps keep them fresh, but its not the be-all and end-all. Rodgers buying well, keeping Suarez (because no one would pay) and being a decent manager is the factor.

Bear in mind we now have a guy who is constantly on the blower to Dalglish :(
:sherwoodlol:

Back
Top Bottom