Smartest ambitions for the remainder of the season...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Should we aim to finish 8th and dodge the Europa League?

• Yes. Fuck the Europa League. Start playing on Saturdays again and hit the domestic competitions hard

Votes: 20 22.2%
  • No. To quote Bill Nick: "If we're not in Europe, we're nothing. We're nothing."

Votes: 70 77.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Go all out for 5th/6th and another Europa League campaign or mid-table mire with a view to having a year away from the much-maligned, draining, second tier European competition.

Not saying I want us to lose on purpose but I'd love to see us do what Liverpool have done this season with few other commitments than the League.

EL any day for me - second most presitgious European Trophy and especially since next season's winner would qualify for the CL

I only want EL football by winning it.

Thats not gonna happen, so Id rather finish 6th and avoid it next season. Go all out in the FA Cup and CC....a cup double would do wonders.

Doesn't next season's EL carry with it a CL place for the winner?

Only WE would decide to choose to dodge a competition for fear of NOT winning it, and getting distracted in our aim to qualify for a competition we could qualify for by entering a competition we're contemplating is worth entering or not!!
Spursy doesn't even come close!!

Besides, if we can't handle the PRESSURE AND BURN OUT of EL coupled with Premier league, how the fucking hell we gonna cope with juggling a superior completion??

Look at Liverpool this season. No EL and unfaultering form.
Id take a year out and mount a real assault next season.

The EL seems designed to hold clubs back. Fuck it.

7th would also qualify if Goons win it

I'm sure I was told that it only applies to the League cup, the runner up of the 'domestic cup', which is the FA cup, still gets the EL place.

So league cup runner up EL goes to 6th place, FA cup runners up qualify for EL

"Should the FA Cup winners, runners-up (if applicable) and the Football League Cup winners already have qualified for Europe, their place goes to the next best placed clubs in the Premier League."

from below

Premier League Rules said:
UEFA Europa League
There are three places in the UEFA Europa League available: the FA Cup winners will enter at the Group Stage; the fifth place team in the Barclays Premier League will enter at the Play-Off stage; and the Football League Cup winners will enter at the Q3 stage.

In the event the FA Cup winners are qualified for the UEFA Champions League the FA Cup runners-up will qualify, but in the place reserved for the lowest ranking Barclays Premier League representative. The place with direct access to the Group Stage will be given to the club that finishes in the highest position in the Barclays Premier League of the clubs qualifying for the UEFA Europa League.

English winners of the UEFA Europa League will enter at the Group Stage, gaining an extra domestic place only if they fail to qualify through other means for the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League. If the holders of the UEFA Europa League have already qualified for Europe, no extra domestic place will be gained.

Should the FA Cup winners, runners-up (if applicable) and the Football League Cup winners already have qualified for Europe, their place goes to the next best placed clubs in the Premier League.

Fair Play winners enter at the Qualifying round 1 stage.

This place will automatically go the three best-placed national associations in the UEFA Respect fair play rankings provided they achieve an average of 8.0 points or more. The top three associations will then be entitled to enter the club that has either won their domestic top-division fair play competition, or if they are already qualified, the runners-up and so forth.

Please note that the above is purely a guide to the qualification procedure at present. From time to time other scenarios may occur which could mean that the above procedures may needto be reviewed.

The EL seems designed to hold clubs back

tin-foil-hat.jpg

I'm sure I was told that it only applies to the League cup, the runner up of the 'domestic cup', which is the FA cup, still gets the EL place.

So league cup runner up EL goes to 6th place, FA cup runners up qualify for EL

"Should the FA Cup winners, runners-up (if applicable) and the Football League Cup winners already have qualified for Europe, their place goes to the next best placed clubs in the Premier League."

from below
I stand corrected - cheers

How do results go following EL games? We lose virtually all dont we?
Massive number of extra games.
Ridiculous travelling.
No one gives a toss.
Poor facilities.
Poor teams for the most part, plenty that like to kick players about.
And at the end of it all there is virtually no reward either.
Yes there might be the same break between Wed/Sat and Thu/Sun but that is where the similarities between CL and EL end.
CL football motivates, EL football drains

Back
Top Bottom