Lennon: We gave speed a chance

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I really don't see what everyone sees in Lennon. I've been critical of him for awhile now and I completely agree with @ Bardi Bardi . Yes he's been at this club for awhile now and has given a lot, and I appreciate that, but the fact that he's been here so long has caused people to completely overrate him and defend him even if he doesn't deserve it. Like Windy said, he was abysmal the past two games for us. I don't think he's been good for us all season except for parts of the second united game, although everyone has been destroying Evra this season so its not that great of an achievement.

Lennon completely goes missing in games on the offensive end. He does this all the time. When he does get the ball he really doesn't do much with it. Its nice to beat a man but if he can't deliver a nice cross its pointless. If I were a fullback I wouldn't be very scared to face him because you know that he'll rarely deliver a good cross if he beats you. If he decides not to cross he usually goes back to Walker or inside and completely slows the game down. He rarely plays play quick, one touch football, and he causes some attacks to stagnate because of it. If he gets the ball on the counter he can run at players well but he rarely delivers the incisive ball that we need. You see him running all the way across the pitch all the time and it does nothing for us. I just can't defend him anymore. Yes his work rate is good but a wingers primary job is to create. He doesn't do that nearly enough.

Lennon's still my favourite Spurs player but yes his attacking play hasn't been as prolific as we would all like but wanting him gone from the club is a bit much! Lennon's alot braver, faster, skillful and defensively reliable than any other winger at the club. His touch & ball control is just ridiculous, plus his sisters well fit!!!

stacey-lennon-14.jpg

Lennon like Dawson has probably seen better days. But they are still both very valuable players when utilized against the right teams.

They both still offer a lot to the side and though they shouldn't be guaranteed first team like they used to be, they are still valuable assets and it would be foolish to part with them.

It is up to our managers to understand what type of games we they should be played in. Lennon should be played in games when we are trying to protect ourselves defensively and playing more on the counterattack. He struggles in games where teams put lots of players behind the ball and eliminate space to run into. Dawson should play against teams with aerial presences who want to play the ball long or try to capitalize against us on set pieces (generally lower level teams). Should not be played against teams who want to play on the deck and have quick strikers.

Both are still valuable they just have to be used differently than they used to because we've changed as a club and they've changed as players.

Lennon like Dawson has probably seen better days. But they are still both very valuable players when utilized against the right teams.

They both still offer a lot to the side and though they shouldn't be guaranteed first team like they used to be, they are still valuable assets and it would be foolish to part with them.

It is up to our managers to understand what type of games we they should be played in. Lennon should be played in games when we are trying to protect ourselves defensively and playing more on the counterattack. He struggles in games where teams put lots of players behind the ball and eliminate space to run into. Dawson should play against teams with aerial presences who want to play the ball long or try to capitalize against us on set pieces (generally lower level teams). Should not be played against teams who want to play on the deck and have quick strikers.

Both are still valuable they just have to be used differently than they used to because we've changed as a club and they've changed as players.

I agree with what you're saying overall, but the bit I've highlighted in bold is problematic; Lennon used to be good at this, but the truth is that he has been poor at it since redknapp left. Maybe he will become good at it again if given time under Sherwood, I don't know. But on the counter he seems unsure of himself nowadays.

Tonight for instance, there was one time when we had a brillant counter-attacking opportunity, he got the ball, and we had riden our look a little in our play up the field to him, but we had retained the ball and had them against the ropes, but instead of running forward with it, which he should have, his fear got the better of him and he tried to turn instead in order to ensure he - and the team - would retain possesion. The Newcastle player probably couldn't believe his luck as he had a chance to tackle him and he did. What the Newcastle player was dreading was that Lennon would run with it and he wouldn't be able to keep up. Couple of years ago Lennon would have run away with the ball. He's lost what makes him a major assett.

I agree with what you're saying overall, but the bit I've highlighted in bold is problematic; Lennon used to be good at this, but the truth is that he has been poor at it since redknapp left. Maybe he will become good at it again if given time under Sherwood, I don't know. But on the counter he seems unsure of himself nowadays.

Tonight for instance, there was one time when we had a brillant counter-attacking opportunity, he got the ball, and we had riden our look a little in our play up the field to him, but we had retained the ball and had them against the ropes, but instead of running forward with it, which he should have, his fear got the better of him and he tried to turn instead in order to ensure he - and the team - would retain possesion. The Newcastle player probably couldn't believe his luck as he had a chance to tackle him and he did. What the Newcastle player was dreading was that Lennon would run with it and he wouldn't be able to keep up. Couple of years ago Lennon would have run away with the ball. He's lost what makes him a major assett.
Exactly. He's too slow to make decisions nowadays. He was terrible today again. He showed all the problems that all of his critics have been talking about recently. He really needs to be dropped. Chadli did more than him as a sub in his limited time.

He's too slow to make decisions nowadays.
Lennon's our quickest player and still one of the quickest in the premier league!

He was terrible today again. He showed all the problems that all of his critics have been talking about recently. He really needs to be dropped. Chadli did more than him as a sub in his limited time.
So you didnt watch him constantly covering the runners for naughton all night then?

Lennon's our quickest player and still one of the quickest in the premier league!

So you didnt watch him constantly covering the runners for naughton all night then?

Are you claiming Lennon covered for Naughton? Because if so, our flanks were our weakness. Whatever covering he was doing didn't work, so why have him in the team? He can track back, but that does not mean he helps the defence. He often just shepherds them into danger areas with little/no challenge for their final ball and Lloris is left to save our low sodium turkey bacon.

People say he was up for it off the ball/tracking back, but don't get willingness to run mixed up with defensive cover. He along with Townsend, Lamela, Holtby etc are false positives when they do this. Because the back 4 can track another runner because they think Lennon has it covered. He doesent. We never stop the cross, the final ball or killer pass from cutting us to shreds.

Lennon = Soft Spurs incarnate. All flash , no end product and can go missing in dour non glamor games. He weakens us in most of our problem areas: Supplying stikers, crossing, attacking/defending free kicks/corners, taking free kicks, team IQ, fitness, reliability, scoring etc etc.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Lennon's performances have always been criticised most when we have poor striker options. He'll get back to his best soon. Last season even AVB singled him out for praise.

Just because someone has a few bad games it doesn't mean sell them. They get dropped until they regain form and become worthy of the position again. Squads people, it's the way forward

I'm not talking about his speed. I'm talking about the speed at which he makes decisions. He's obviously fast but that does no one good if he can't use it. Remember the break he had down the left towards the end of the game? 10 yards from the box he tried to cut in and keep possession, and ran straight into the defender. Run to the damn corner and cross it in. They won't catch him.

And he can cover the back all he wants, I don't give a fuck. Maybe we should move him to fullback if that's all he's good for. His tracking back won't make up for his poor decision making, end product, and tendency to disappear during games. I appreciate his hard work but I want a winger to create.

This thread is going to die a death until Lennon scores his next 1 in 10 games goal and then all the Lennon fan boys will come and tell us all how wrong we were.

So far the positives I've read are "he tracks back" and "has a fit sister". Apparently against Newcastle he was part of the advanced 3 of a 4-3-3 formation.

So let me recap the Newcastle game and please tell me where Lennon justified his start.

Dembele - not a natural winger but playing on Lennon's preferrred side beat his man and got crosses in.

Bentaleb - look where he's crossing from for the goal
As long as Timmy is in charge Ade and Bentaleb will start every single game, mate - it's probably his little way of saying 'fuck you' to the system

tumblr_n0wmcoCSNE1r8e765o1_400.gif

^ This is Timmy saying 'fuck you' to ArcspacE

Townsend
Point is - his most notable contribution has been a few surging runs.

tumblr_n0wmcoCSNE1r8e765o7_400.gif

Chadli
I still maintain that Chadli up to now hasn't proven in a single aspect to be superior to Lennon's bar perhaps physical presence

KindlyLawfulBrahmancow.gif

^ don't forget to notice who, on the left wing, provided the assist either. Let's also not forget the Chadli assist after this goal which should have resulted in a goal.

Lennon - hits the post with a tame shot on Krul's covered side, Arcspace's reaction? to blow his load at the technique and power of the shot
It's that shit player Lennon again. Sell him now.
Have I missed anything?

I can't remember a single game where Lennon has performed on the left wing, it's like he's incapable of it yet Bentaleb and Chadli on that side provided so much more. Perhaps in the next game we should invert Bentaleb with Lennon so at least the whole point of his contribution as per the fan boys here is more justified.

But yeah anyone who's played the game should know blah blah blah.

Wow, Zin - taking a few moments of brilliance from a single game against a dog-shit team to prove comments 'wrong' which have in turn been taken completely out of context - you make Sammy look like Mother Theresa. Chadli's wonder goal proves he's better than Lennon? Bentaleb's first pass forward in 10 games? In your own time . . .

I stand by my original comment in that article - selling Lennon makes zero sense as what he brings to our team as an attacking option would be hard to replicate unless we have someone better lined up in the transfer market.

That article is completely OTT and just the next installment in a series of scape-goat chapters who are looking to discredit all our 'old-guard' players and replace them with new shiny Lamelas. Dawson's already been retired by the experts, Defoe sold - so who is left after Lennon - Kane?

I stopped taking you seriously round about the time you started knocking Lennon for dropping backing and helping Walker defensively - you should seriously consider taking some time off, read that a few times, and think about it for a few minutes. And if supporting one of our most loyal and consistent performers over the last 7-8 years makes me a 'fan-boy' - with respect, making that claim makes you a colossal wanker of note.

Last edited:
I stand by my original comment in that article - selling Lennon makes zero sense as what he brings to our team as an attacking option would be hard to replicate unless we have someone better lined up in the transfer market.

This fan boy reacharound of Lennon has blinded you silly and you are incapable of backing up your opinion AS USUAL

This fan boy reacharound of Lennon has blinded you silly and you are incapable of backing up your opinion AS USUAL
I did - predictably you've edited that our from my reply and taken a single a-contextual sentence to suit your straw-man argument. I believe we're done here.

Back
Top Bottom