Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I didn’t want him hired in the first place, said it before. When he got the job, his fanboys started invading all sorts of social medias telling us how good we’ll be. Then we started the season well and we’ve been told that it’ll only improve as the season went on.

Instead, we’ve become more and more shit. Limp attack, clown defending, and the attention’s been deflected after every shit performance. Today’s the referee, tomorrow the individual players, the day after tomorrow it’ll be something else. Never Postecoglou’s fault. Feels like Mourinho MK2, with obvious differences.

As a few have been saying his system needs elite finishers.
And that's the crux of it. Everything seems centered around the system but you still need elite players to get to the top of the Premier League. The one player up front who might fit in that category (Son) seems underused in this style of play. We should know a lot more by the end of next season, but for now whether Postecoglou's system works is just going to have to be something we don't know for sure either way.

It's almost as if they've got a manager who adapts the teams approach based on what they're facing, a radical concept around here I'm sure because of the Aussie fundamentalist and the followers of his cult.

Don't worry though, the Aussie slash Japanese slash Scottish conquerer will figure out elite football.

Bare in mind Liverpool are looking for a new gaffer as might Unitd be soon, I guarantee the won't look to hire someone who's conquered Australia, Japan & Scotland but these are who we want to compete with!

Laughable that people claim to be Spurs fans and defend this fraud manager
Arne Slot is locked in at Liverpool pretty sure and ETH will get another season but you know take that with a grain of salt or two

He needs a top quality front three for his system to work.

He needs an attacking coach in his set up, not Ryan Mason.

He needs a set-piece coach.

If any of these aren’t achieved by the start of next season, it’s over before it has begun.

It's almost as if they've got a manager who adapts the teams approach based on what they're facing, a radical concept around here I'm sure because of the Aussie fundamentalist and the followers of his cult.

Don't worry though, the Aussie slash Japanese slash Scottish conquerer will figure out elite football.

Bare in mind Liverpool are looking for a new gaffer as might Unitd be soon, I guarantee the won't look to hire someone who's conquered Australia, Japan & Scotland but these are who we want to compete with!

Laughable that people claim to be Spurs fans and defend this fraud manager
He's gotten us fifth with the fifth most expensive squad in the league, which is acceptable.

Could it be better? Of course, but I think he's done enough to deserve a second season. Let him go again in the summer, get him a bigger squad and see what he can do.

If we still don't improve on our weak points or get worse overall, then personally I'd be more open to the conversation about his future. But for now he's done enough to at least be given another season.

My biggest concerns are set pieces and fitness. If we can improve in those aspects I'd be happy for him to be with us long term.

And that's the crux of it. Everything seems centered around the system but you still need elite players to get to the top of the Premier League. The one player up front who might fit in that category (Son) seems underused in this style of play. We should know a lot more by the end of next season, but for now whether Postecoglou's system works is just going to have to be something we don't know for sure either way.

Totally agree. That's why I dont really care if he goes. The most important thing this summer is we buy some good players.

He won the fa cup too. Imagine us winning the fa cup! Bloody hell. Seems unbelievable! He also has owners heavily backing him too. It’s an unfair on ange to compare. One owners desperate for the title & backing it up. The other happy with CL place & the ££ it brings in. .
He’s been there since 2019 ……….Postegoglou 2023 Arteta has had 4 full seasons

One of Arteta's greatest accomplishments has been convincing his rivals to stick with their managers even when they've been failing due to that bad run he had.

Not that I think Ange is failing, but his situation just isn't comparable to Arteta. It's lazy analysis.
Agreed. It’s like thinking United just need to give ten Haag a couple more years & it will be them going for titles. Id say ange was succeeding but now failing. So in general this season he has done ok & about par. I thought par was more like 6/7th but it’s been another very weak premier league this year.
I am more a casual watcher now but I wonder if opposition managers have worked him out after the initial first very good few months. Or if it's far more complex.
To bore everyone, I don’t think any manager can take us to the top with levy/enic holding us back. Anyway, a huge amount of work to be done in the summer with recruitment & ange needs to develop & change a few things.

I didn’t want him hired in the first place, said it before. When he got the job, his fanboys started invading all sorts of social medias telling us how good we’ll be. Then we started the season well and we’ve been told that it’ll only improve as the season went on.

Instead, we’ve become more and more shit. Limp attack, clown defending, and the attention’s been deflected after every shit performance. Today’s the referee, tomorrow the individual players, the day after tomorrow it’ll be something else. Never Postecoglou’s fault. Feels like Mourinho MK2, with obvious differences.
We are just lucky there is worse team in the league then us .

To highlight the issue on set pieces. Our XG was 2.6 compared to 1.5 for them.

If the match was replayed you'd want it to look exactly how it was played.

Angeball isnt the issue, defendball is. This is obviously going to be looked at over the summer, as our woes in front of goals will.

He needs to stop being stubborn and get a real set piece coach, or it'll cost him. Cut out the inconsistency, get a better striker/LW and set piece coach, and this team is almost complete. We were the better side today, and anyone that disagrees with this can absolutely fuck off.

2nd half was brave they did come out and dictate terms, was late but still you know it showed something sort of
We just lost at home to Goons, we were inept ( at best ) and you find the positives. Bravo mate. I wish I was that optimistic.

Defending any of that system is akin to the Black Knight’s flesh wound in Month Python and the Holy Grail.

Still, thank fuck Ange / Mase and the lads had two weeks to sort out our last lettuce impression.

To highlight the issue on set pieces. Our XG was 2.6 compared to 1.5 for them.

If the match was replayed you'd want it to look exactly how it was played.

Angeball isnt the issue, defendball is. This is obviously going to be looked at over the summer, as our woes in front of goals will.
He has said it is the attacking part that needs work. With his approach you accept the risks at the back to create more at the front. We are accepting the risks but we aren't doing the front part.

Back
Top Bottom