Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Nooooo how can people be so negative, they hurt my feelings :mourcry::mourcry::mourcry:
Alright...
Tell me, what are the positives in your opinions?
Improvement in mentality, ability to dominate games and score a lot of goals, some exciting play. 5th place, possibility of 4th, despite a terrible season last year and loss of Kane. Galvanised the fan base to some extent.

A lot of our good play has been inconsistent but the signs are there. If we were consistently excellent we'd be winning the league, which no one would expect of us at this stage

Improvement in mentality
What’s that? Winning from losing position? Winning in the last 15 minutes? Bullshit like that?
ability to dominate games and score a lot of goals
What games did we dominate, if you don’t mind me asking? Name one game this year where we’ve looked in complete control from start to end.
5th place, possibility of 4th, despite a terrible season last year and loss of Kane.
Yes, I predicted we’d end 7th or 8th, can’t remember. 5th (or 4th) place would be rightly considered fine for the first season, although Poch also finished 5th in his first season and I don’t think it was regarded as some achievement. And he had a worse team than now.

But let’s say I agree with you here.
A lot of our good play has been inconsistent but the signs are there.
Yes? What are the signs? That we don’t sit back anymore and try to play some attacking football? That we have possession? We invert wingbacks?
If we were consistently excellent we'd be winning the league, which no one would expect of us at this stage
Not really, I personally don’t expect consistency, just signs of solid tactical system patterns as the season went on. Instead the opposite happened.

I promise you this. Post something not stupid or boring and I might even give you an agree.

I’ve been waiting a long fucking time for you to do so though 😭
I just think we have very different opinions on things. Maybe you can understand that? And that’s fine, I don’t post to make others happy or agree with me (would not say the same about you though). But I don’t see why you have to spam disagrees with every post, you can just move on and that’s it, like 90% of this forum users do.

I just think we have very different opinions on things. Maybe you can understand that? And that’s fine, I don’t post to make others happy or agree with me (would not say the same about you though). But I don’t see why you have to spam disagrees with every post, you can just move on and that’s it, like 90% of this forum users do.

I post my opinions so be careful what you accuse me of.

Leave it there and I’ll let it lie.

only real reason most people are on Ange because they’re ENIC out over everything. Feels like people are scared that he could do something(and he will)and give them some breathing space.

I get it. I dislike ENIC too, really don’t like them or Levy. but separate the two. The players are clearly impressed with him. He’s talking up challenging next year. You can quite clearly tell he’s got the hunger to win things, not just pick up his pay check and pay lip service to managing us. It’s been up and down but it was always going to be.

only real reason most people are on Ange because they’re ENIC out over everything. Feels like people are scared that he could do something(and he will)and give them some breathing space.

I get it. I dislike ENIC too, really don’t like them or Levy. but separate the two. The players are clearly impressed with him. He’s talking up challenging next year. You can quite clearly tell he’s got the hunger to win things, not just pick up his pay check and pay lip service to managing us. It’s been up and down but it was always going to be.
That's a good, well reasoned post that at least shows respect to different opinions being aired instead of the usual vitriol spewed by some in response to reasonable criticism.

The only thing I'd question is your assumption that ENIC out supporters are scared he might achieve something. I think it's more a case of being concerned he gets so much slack that he won't achieve anything because the pressure isn't their to actually succeed. Which plays perfectly into the hands of our unambitious, greedy ownership.

A fanbase happy to accept a few more years of mediocrity in the name of rebuild and patience

:levylol:

With so many fans saying "just give me good football and I'm happy" you can surely understand why we have these misgivings

Last edited:
That's a good, well reasoned post that at least shows respect to different opinions being aired instead of the usual vitriol spewed by some in response to reasonable criticism.

The only thing I'd question is your assumption that ENIC out supporters are scared he might achieve something. I think it's more a case of being concerned he gets so much slack that he won't achieve anything because the pressure isn't their to actually succeed. Which plays perfectly into the hands of our unambitious, greedy ownership.

With so many fans saying "just give me good football and I'm happy" you can surely understand why.
Cheers. John I do agree with lots of your posts on ENIC, but not here. He’s not going to get any slack. That’s quite clear imo. Our fans get on players and managers back at the drop of a hat, way to quickly.

He’s going to put pressure on himself, the players and the owners to deliver. He doesn’t just want to play good football hes said that multiple times. It’s about the good football bringing success.

He’s going to put pressure on himself, the players and the owners to deliver. He doesn’t just want to play good football hes said that multiple times. It’s about the good football bringing success

Well, here's hoping you're right, mate.
We know what's happened in the past when a manager has put pressure on the owners...., but, like I say, here's to hoping this time will be different.

icegif-719.gif

that doesn't excuse the slow tippy tappy and not related to quality of opponents. it's the style and methods. You can still be direct with the top teams.

The way spurs play is always to 'walk the ball' into the net from 2 yards out of the opp goalie.
Celtics scores from all angle and distance. Not just tap ins. McGregor and O'reilly and Hatate let fly from 30m.
So who is that on then?

A front 3 of Son, Werner and Johnson suggests we should be a counter attacking team. Quick players who like to get behind defenses - but they are about as useful as a chocolate teapot with their back to goal.

We simply are not getting to ball up the pitch quick enough and are allowing the opposition time to setup and get into shape before we mount our offence. This is down to Bissouma never looking to play a forward pass and ALWAYS going back to Romero - who takes him time....then takes more time....then passes it sideways.

Son needs to be playing as a 2nd striker, paired with somebody who can do the muscle work of holding up the ball and winning aerial duels. For that reason, Kulusevski really must be starting as he is the only player we have that can really battle for balls in the final 3rd.
Mostly agree keep saying it Romero kills our attacking momentum. With that front 3 teams would be scared of the pace but they know that if we don’t get the ball quick enough to them then they are easy to defend. I’m still wondering how Ange thought Johnson would be a good fit for a team that wants to keep the ball. Surely all the scouting on him would have shown he plays better in a counter attacking role. Same with Werner. Son is different in that he was already here and his goal scoring is better than the rest put together. To play the way we do we need the dippers front 3 of mane, Bobby F and salah. All work hard, keep the ball and have great technical ability. I don’t see a lot of those attributes in our front 3.

That's exactly what it is, the two things are mutually exclusive, manager needs time to get his ideas across.
His had all season with mostly new players ie not under conte abd his had the most amount of time to train and coach them compared to all the other teams around us. If that isn’t enough to get his ideas a cross then I don’t know what is. It’s not just the system but the attitude and intensity in our play is often so casual almost like they don’t give a shit. How many games we come out looking half asleep and fall behind. We conceded first in numerous games including all the relegation fodder. That is not a good look.

Back
Top Bottom