Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Pep got fast tracked into coaching based on his connection with Barcelona, same with Arteta at Woolwich.

I don't know if there are coaches as good of them around the world, but they certainly have been more privileged than most who just don't have the same opportunities as they did.

I’ve no doubt there are some hidden undiscovered gems out there (maybe Ange was one) but it’s the idea that the coaching calibre/competition is, on average, the same in the A League or Japan as it is here that I find nonsensical.

Even in England, the coaching level has recently seen a huge rise due to the amount of top foreign talent being attracted here. The top coaches cherry picked. Of course that leads to a higher level of competition…

I’m willing to bet the reverse is true if you honestly believe that the level of coaching in the Premier League isn’t much higher than the A League.
I'm not even saying that. That would require me to be an expert on the quality of coaching in the A League and so far you are the only one claiming to be that.

All I'm saying is that I know for sure that the level of coaching in the A league isn't lower BECAUSE it's the A League. That's an ignorant position to take and so far you are the only one claiming to hold that position too.

I'm not even saying that. That would require me to be an expert on the quality of coaching in the A League and so far you are the only one claiming to be that.

All I'm saying is that I know for sure that the level of coaching in the A league isn't lower BECAUSE it's the A League. That's an ignorant position to take and so far you are the only one claiming to hold that position too.

I guarantee you most people on here and frankly most sensible people think the level of coaching is higher in the Premier League than it is in the A League.

It’s basic common sense. Due to resources the Prem takes its pick from the elite of Europe, where the vast majority of people with pro licenses exist.

It would be a fucking miracle if it WASN’T lower ffs.

Generally speaking serial winning managers are at serial winning clubs. Culture of winning starts at the top, you get extreme exceptions like Fergie who dragged a then pitiful Man United into glory.

This isn’t to say we don’t want to win just there isn’t a desperation. That’s why given our circumstances I’d take a manager who wants to entertain. Managers like Conte are used to having Inter Milan level backlines or peak Kante/Hazard as options.

A manager is important but given the prem has multiple elite managers that won’t be the difference on its own, we need an elite squad and to be frank we are quite a way from that. We have also opted for manager who is uncompromising in style and requires specific players to make it work which needs top scouting and big investment.

We are in new territory post Covid/stadium build and with Scott Munn/Lange and Paratici set up but it remains to be seen if anything truly will change and we will get a lethal edge.

Ange could be the new Pep, he could also end up being showed to be out of his depth. Only way to know is time and good scouting/big investment.

If we don’t have the balls to back an uncompromising manager properly it would be best to opt for a more flexible manager with a lower ceiling style of football like Emry. Someone who works with what he has got rather than a Pep who needs his ingredients.
I agree. I have no idea on Ange yet, i do have some concerns but he needs more time. If going into next season when autumn hits we're getting thumped away from home by ordinary sides and looking defensively vunerable then he wont last long. As ever though mostly it will come down to recruitment, we did ok last summer but i think we need to do even better in the coming window.

I agree. I have no idea on Ange yet, i do have some concerns but he needs more time. If going into next season when autumn hits we're getting thumped away from home by ordinary sides and looking defensively vunerable then he wont last long. As ever though mostly it will come down to recruitment, we did ok last summer but i think we need to do even better in the coming window.

If you play a high line then you need a forward line that can retain the ball high up (press resistant) and defend from the front. Ange seems at least from my eyes to play like a hybrid style that has some Pep element and Klopp elements. This style is immensely vulnerable if the forwards are poor or unsuitable and it invites counter attacks. Even City and Pool sometimes get killed on counters badly.

My general feeling and I might be wrong is that our forward line isn’t good enough at this level to play this way. VDV and Romero can deal with 1-2 counters but not 5-10 and that is where a poor unsuitable forward line gives us issues. We need to be looking at top forward like Gyokeres and Williams in the summer.

I guarantee you most people on here and frankly most sensible people think the level of coaching is higher in the Premier League than it is in the A League.

It’s basic common sense. Due to resources the Prem takes its pick from the elite of Europe, where the vast majority of people with pro licenses exist.

It would be a fucking miracle if it WASN’T lower ffs.

Here you go again with your "most people".
consensus = correct. Even when you just plucked the consensus out your arse.

Wait, do you have any peer-reviewed studies to back up that claim? In which case I take it back, you must be right.

As I don't have as much spare time as many, can someone just remind me of Anges past achievements? I know he's won stuff in Japan and Scotland , but I presume there's other stuff I'm missing?
Beat Levy at a game of tennis during pre season, but only because levy couldn't see over the net

Onr year in.

A few issues. No real surprise.

Some obvious areas of concern, personnel-wise snd latterly one or two have creeped-in re: Postecoglou.

We failed to sign a striker which was criminal and we lack a reliable central midfielder. Defensively we concede too many from set pieces.

This time next season and with 3 or 4 additions, our position might not be better but we have to be more competitive.

Right now we are an average team which no opposing team would have cause to fear.

Last edited:
You know what the biggest issue is?

We desperately need our defenders and goalkeeper to pass the ball forwards more quickly so that we don't give an opportunity for the opposition to retreat and regroup. THAT is our biggest problem now. What can the top 3 do when the opposition has already defended in numbers?

Romero and Vic are the 2 biggest culprits with their STUPID slowness in releasing the ball forward
Spot on keep saying the same thing! How about some quick throws out from Vic now and then?

The French paedo hadn’t really set the world alight before moving to that lot from the J league.
Yeah that's true, I guess winning the French title with Monaco is insignificant compared to winning Celtic's 247th league title...

If you're going to be blindly supporting this manager, at least admit to it instead of being deluded about the level of football in Japan & Scotland.

Yeah that's true, I guess winning the French title with Monaco is insignificant compared to winning Celtic's 247th league title...

If you're going to be blindly supporting this manager, at least admit to it instead of being deluded about the level of football in Japan & Scotland.
One of the most successful French clubs in history in a league that aside from a small handful of clubs is shit. It’s marginally better than winning a trophy in Scotland. Hardly setting the world alight.
I’m not deluded about the level of football in Scotland or Japan just as I’m not deluded about the standard of league football in France.

Back
Top Bottom