Enough is enough

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The difference between AVB and managers like Wenger, Rodgers, even Redknapp is that the latter group understand that football is an art as much of a science.

AVB seems obsessed with the high press, the midfield turnovers, the methodical and systematic stuff. This squad looks pretty capable at all of that at now. Where he has been unable to take the squad further is unlocking the creativity in the side by moving beyond the 'science' and fostering the 'art'. This has left the side looking mechanical, functional, drilled rather than inspired. Against a team who have been enabled, inspired to play fluently, it's a recipe for getting torn apart over and over.

If AVB possessed the pragmatism of Mourinho, maybe he could help us grind out a long sequence of results through functional football. As AVB is not Mourinho, I'd much rather return to a management style that encourages creativity and initiative.

I told you yesterday already - he deserves this season and we can re-assess again in June. Sacking him now would achieve nothing and we'd waste another season in transition.

And I told you yesterday, that this is his second season, and despite Bale giving us 26 of our 72 record points, we were pretty poor last year too.

Fair play for backing him...but do you think he can actually dig us out of this? I mean, surely we have the right to asses our form at this point into his tenure?

The difference between AVB and managers like Wenger, Rodgers, even Redknapp is that the latter group understand that football is an art as much of a science.

AVB seems obsessed with the high press, the midfield turnovers, the methodical and systematic stuff. This squad looks pretty capable at all of that at now. Where he has been unable to take the squad further is unlocking the creativity in the side by moving beyond the 'science' and fostering the 'art'. This has left the side looking mechanical, functional, drilled rather than inspired. Against a team who have been enabled, inspired to play fluently, it's a recipe for getting torn apart over and over.

If AVB possessed the pragmatism of Mourinho, maybe he could help us grind out a long sequence of results through functional football. As AVB is not Mourinho, I'd much rather return to a management style that encourages creativity and initiative.

At this point last season Wenger and Rodgers were both tipped for the sack after poor runs of results.

There were even points when Liverpool flirted with the relegation places.

Give him till the end of the season, we're still only a few points of 4th and in all the cups, embarrassing results aside.

If he hasnt won anything or achieved top 4 at the end of the season, then he can go.

At this point last season Wenger and Rodgers were both tipped for the sack after poor runs of results.

There were even points when Liverpool flirted with the relegation places.

Rodgers' side was also quite frequently playing attractive and fluent football though, whereas we still looked disjointed and reliant on Bale's individual prowess.

I think from time to time, people get much too hung up on stats like our record points total and our 'best start to the season' and turn a blind eye to what's happening on the pitch. Even when Liverpool looked to be stuck in the mire last year, there were real indications that stylistically, tactically, something was being built there. I never saw the same thing from Spurs under AVB, and that's why I feel a year on from then they're in second and we're trickling down the towards midtable.

Rodgers' side was also quite frequently playing attractive and fluent football though, whereas we still looked disjointed and reliant on Bale's individual prowess.

I think from time to time, people get much too hung up on stats like our record points total and our 'best start to the season' and turn a blind eye to what's happening on the pitch. Even when Liverpool looked to be stuck in the mire last year, there were real indications that stylistically, tactically, something was being built there. I never saw the same thing from Spurs under AVB, and that's why I feel a year on from then they're in second and we're trickling down the towards midtable.
Are you saying that AVB only had one envelope to Brendan's three?:avbdamn:

This is what its about for me. The small picture is that we've had 3 embarrassing, unacceptable defeats. The big picture is that despite picking up some wins the performances and tactics have been wholly unconvincing, I don't think I'm the only one who would say we were lucky to get wins out of many of our wins, relying on penalties, set pieces and wonder goals to get us out of jail.

I dont mind the losing, we are afterall Spurs fans & therefore, used to it.
What is unacceptable to me as a Yid is the (lack of) style of football.
I refer you to the late, great Danny Blanchflower

The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom.

I think you just watch more Spurs games than Liverpool games, as they were really really shit for long periods of last season.

Give him till the end of the season, we're still only a few points of 4th and in all the cups, embarrassing results aside.

If he hasnt won anything or achieved top 4 at the end of the season, then he can go.

No chance, get shot now.

Any players disenchanted by then will want out - by acting now we can use the rest of this season as the "transitional period".

His press conference looked like a man who was a little shell shocked. There was very little fight, in fact he seemed to me like someone expecting a phone call any minute.

For all the desire of having a young, great manager who can build a legacy, right now we need AVB to just concentrate on getting a settled side but I can't see that happening.

Back
Top Bottom