Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

selling grealish wont help, because he'll be sold at loss unlike the pure profit of Palmer. Still if they make champions league i could see Villa trying to bring him home, there Gareth bale moment.

But if FFP is running on a 3 year basis any players you sell after 3 years then essentially are sold at some sort a profit? Obviously an academy player is pure profit.

So a transfer made in 2024 would affect 2022, 2023, 2024, 2025, 2026? Is that how it works now?
He was signed in 2021 so outside that window.

Or is it more about how they spread out the contracts and amortisation? Like Chelsea do it?

That's what our scouting department is there for....

If Raphinha is the most imaginative name they can come up with if we can't get Williams then they aren't up to much.

That's generally my take on such targets (Raphina + broken Neto & Olise)........ I don't watch a great deal of other teams/leagues, so if we can't come up with players that aren't on my radar; they must be fishing from a pretty shallow pond.

I'm also wary of buying any senior players from Barca.... They're the kings of paying big money for over-hyped players that would still cost top whack on the way out thanks to the outdated Barca aura and the inevitable massive mages.

Last edited:
I have no idea, Who else is in the market apart from Williams who we won’t get?

Couple on here

Neto, Bakayoko, I like Cherki

GHVswm7WQAAEcbe

But if FFP is running on a 3 year basis any players you sell after 3 years then essentially are sold at some sort a profit? Obviously an academy player is pure profit.

So a transfer made in 2024 would affect 2022, 2023, 2024, 2025, 2026? Is that how it works now?

Or is it more about how they spread out the contracts and amortisation? Like Chelsea do it?
My understanding:

Each year’s finances are calculated independently and then a rolling three years (current + last two) are used to calculate p+l for FFP purposes.
If you bought a player four years ago on a five year contract and sold him this year, it would still affect this year’s rolling FF calculation. Similarly, you could have bought a player six years ago and sold him two years ago and it could affect your rolling calculation.

Edited to add: selling a player in the current year (2024) will not affect the financial statement for a prior year (say 2021 when the player was bought).

Hopefully CGs performance puts a stop to any thought of buying him especially for £50M!
Madison should have played or at least come on as a sub. Branthwaite should have been given a go as well, McGuire for God’s sake. Out of form Rashford comes on, Bowen,who will not go to the Euros came on. Watkins did nothing so why not bring Toney on? We will go to Euros and if Kane is injured other strikers will have had hardly any experience. Will Dunk go to Euros, hopefully not so why was he brought on ahead of Branthwaite? Southgate is clueless.

A player only constitutes profit if sold at a price higher than their current amortised value.

Sure..... If you buy player-X in FFP year 1 and sell player-X four years later then it just counts as cash in whatever year the transaction happens. The incoming book value of the income can't be accrued backwards into a past FFP year.

.........I think the red-herring with Chavs and Forest is that they don't have any particularly valuable non-HG players that weren't bought before the last 3 years that can help balance the FFP end of the books and thus are forced to sell HG.

Yes, they can sell Sterling (eg), but only the profit element of the sale will impact their FFP concerns cos the corresponding cost also sits in that period.

If we were currently in FFP trouble and sold Son (eg) then any sale income will have positive impact as his purchase pre-dates the FFP period in question.

Madison should have played or at least come on as a sub. Branthwaite should have been given a go as well, McGuire for God’s sake. Out of form Rashford comes on, Bowen,who will not go to the Euros came on. Watkins did nothing so why not bring Toney on? We will go to Euros and if Kane is injured other strikers will have had hardly any experience. Will Dunk go to Euros, hopefully not so why was he brought on ahead of Branthwaite? Southgate is clueless.
Was wondering why MADDs didn’t come on. I’m sure he could play in a midfield 3 with Jude and rice. However boregate would rather play CG, hendo, Philips and now mainoo is on the scene. Bowen did ok when he came on. As for Maguire no way he doesn’t start in euros. Nailed on!

A player only constitutes profit if sold at a price higher than their current amortised value.

Sure..... If you buy player-X in FFP year 1 and sell player-X four years later then it just counts as cash in whatever year the transaction happens. The incoming book value of the income can't be accrued backwards into a past FFP year.

.........I think the red-herring with Chavs and Forest is that they don't have any particularly valuable non-HG players that weren't bought before the last 3 years that can help balance the FFP end of the books and thus are forced to sell HG.

Yes, they can sell Sterling (eg), but only the profit element of the sale will impact their FFP concerns cos the corresponding cost also sits in that period.

If we were currently in FFP trouble and sold Son (eg) then any sale income will have positive impact as his purchase pre-dates the FFP period in question.

SeeSpotRun SeeSpotRun - This is one of those instances where, if you disagree, you should offer up why and seek to set the record straight.

I've watched him a few times. Defo an interesting player and I don't think many expected him to be at this level, especially playing for a small side like Frosinone.

Though he plays on the right wing, he's left-footed and, very much like Kulusevski, 9 times out of 10 you'll see him cut inside. He also often drops deep to come get the ball or drifts centrally to play as a 10.

He's a pretty good dribbler, but that said he ain't lightning fast, he mainly goes past defenders through feints and using his body well.

Good passer too, but still plenty room for improvement. He tries too hard sometimes, doesn't keep it simple. His first touch can be a bit Sonny-like too.

So yeah overall, defo a kid worth keeping an eye on, but not somebody I'd spend a fortune on after one good season on loan in Serie A and expect him to be a starter at Spurs. No way.
Cheers.
How does Soule compare to Gudmundsson?

Back
Top Bottom