Aston Villa v Tottenham Hotspur - Sunday 10th March

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Bloody hell, this thread for the last few pages! Last time I looked, a football match is played over 90 minutes plus injury time. The score at the start is 0-0. The score at the end of yesterday's game was 0-4. Forgive me for enjoying that.

Bloody hell, this thread for the last few pages! Last time I looked, a football match is played over 90 minutes plus injury time. The score at the start is 0-0. The score at the end of yesterday's game was 0-4. Forgive me for enjoying that.

The posters whinging about the first half simply don’t understand football, it’s that simple.

We controlled that half by dominating possession, albeit not creating much, Villa got tired, we exploited that in the second half.

Not sure why some can’t see this (unless they’re being deliberately obtuse).

Frankly, it was an Ange masterclass.

I don't get all this moaning about the first half. We dominated a 'top 4' side, on their home ground. Ran them ragged, we did. A side that people were praising for their defensive solidity. The first half performance set us up very nicely for the 2nd half crushing, annihilation.

No first half goals? Some people want everything!

The problem is some people want Spurs to do everything in a football match for 90 minutes non stop but in real terms know absolutely nothing about football.
Reality of the situation!

Opinions (right and wrong) is what makes football great though.

View: https://x.com/thespursweb/status/1766896234332098872?s=46&t=DK3x3JffKkqwqcsQdIeO_A

Watkins talking about the way our players kicked off for the McGinn hack and forced the official to pull the red.

Have been saying we are soft on things like this for weeks. Finally saw the right amount of nasty in our team. Credit Johnson who was first at it in McGinn but also Maddison who was already kicking off with Luiz earlier in the game. No ref wants a brawl on their watch, they are judged on controlling the game.

I would argue that the moment he told his players how they were setting up the game was lost.

They've done well this season attacking teams. Going for it. They've not played a back 5.

It's like if Ange decided that against Woolwich we're gonna sit back with a back 5 - it would only succeed in putting all players on the back foot.

It was a massive error.

And again...I don't really know enough about Emery to debate the wider case. As I said, it's just an odd moment to claim how good he is.
It was tactically a bit silly. It takes a long time to bed in a system. 1 week wont cut it. I think emery thought he could conserve energy in that system and then finish strong. Europe has them worried about burnout. He also thought bailey and and watkins as 2 on 2 with our centre halves would work. As danny murphy said last night it didnt at all.

This is getting so cringy now.

Every team has fans that think the media / refs / world is biased against them.
It ain't real, mate. We're not victims of a conspiracy. In the media or otherwise

The other game was bigger involving a head to head between 2 teams involved in one of the most hotly contested title races in years and the media coverage obviously reflected this.
The Race to finish 4th is not comparible in the eyes of the wider population. And rightly so.

The only issue I had with MOTD was their failure to highlight the McGinn issue. I’d have quite liked to hear their views.

But no problem with City vs Liverpool being the main highlight. For the neutral, that was THE game, for a myriad of reasons.

It was tactically a bit silly. It takes a long time to bed in a system. 1 week wont cut it. I think emery thought he could conserve energy in that system and then finish strong. Europe has them worried about burnout. He also thought bailey and and watkins as 2 on 2 with our centre halves would work. As danny murphy said last night it didnt at all.

Someone of Emery's experience should know that playing the way they did doesn't really conserve energy.

In fact, we'd have been the ones who conserved more energy by just having the ball.

It showed in that second half.

The problem is some people want Spurs to do everything in a football match for 90 minutes non stop but in real terms know absolutely nothing about football.
Reality of the situation!

Opinions (right and wrong) is what makes football great though.
I agree. It seems at times though theres police on here who love attacking people who have different opinion. Esp on how we played first half yesterday. Some people come on here to have a moan as it could be there only outlet to talk about spurs. So what if they do. Its an opinion. Not gospel. Obviously personal abuse of players and other posters is too far or continuance of moaning for no reason is bullshit but its a forum.
Should we be like the dippers and be like a fucking cult where everyone is of same opinion

Someone of Emery's experience should know that playing the way they did doesn't really conserve energy.

In fact, we'd have been the ones who conserved more energy by just having the ball.

It showed in that second half.
Not always. If youre in deep sitting, dropping off ,youre not chasing back through or having to step out.less all out sprints up and back for midfield. Launching ball over midfield however i agree, does burnout front 2 as they have to do most of the chasing into corners and physically match the centre halves.
It does show how worried they were of us though

Not always. If youre in deep sitting, dropping off ,youre not chasing back through or having to step out.less all out sprints up and back for midfield. Launching ball over midfield however i agree, does burnout front 2 as they have to do most of the chasing into corners and physically match the centre halves.
It does show how worried they were of us though

It's mentally draining having to play so defensive and always be under pressure. Like Villa were yesterday.

You could argue they didn't really do much but play long balls. But they looked mentally done by the end of the first half. Maddison alluded to as much in his post match interview too.

I found it weird that they changed their game plan at the beginning of the second half and chose to press us instead. Maybe they thought they could nick an early goal and retreat again.

View: https://x.com/thespursweb/status/1766896234332098872?s=46&t=DK3x3JffKkqwqcsQdIeO_A

Watkins talking about the way our players kicked off for the McGinn hack and forced the official to pull the red.

Have been saying we are soft on things like this for weeks. Finally saw the right amount of nasty in our team. Credit Johnson who was first at it in McGinn but also Maddison who was already kicking off with Luiz earlier in the game. No ref wants a brawl on their watch, they are judged on controlling the game.

Bad fouls in front of the bench often result in a red card - I remember Benteke in that exact same spot at Villa Park and also Davinson for us away at Watford

I agree. It seems at times though theres police on here who love attacking people who have different opinion. Esp on how we played first half yesterday. Some people come on here to have a moan as it could be there only outlet to talk about spurs. So what if they do. Its an opinion. Not gospel. Obviously personal abuse of players and other posters is too far or continuance of moaning for no reason is bullshit but its a forum.
Should we be like the dippers and be like a fucking cult where everyone is of same opinion

That’s the nail on the head right there!
It’s not real life.

People are not at the game usually when the post / comment. It’s very reactive.
And post match comments - well get 100 people in a room to discuss a match and you will get 100 different takes.

4-0 win. Away from home. Against the only team in the top 4 who has beaten us previously this season.
I will take that all day.

Statement win.

What's weird is that Villa and Palace especially, caused us a bit of frustration by playing defensive, not really engaging in the press in first half of games.

Only for both of those teams to come out pressing us in the second half and both times it cost the teams.

They're not the only teams to do it. But it's just odd why teams choose to do it against us. When they do, we absolutely blitz teams and score a few in a spell.

I don't think people realise how draining playing defensive football is.

Bissouma and Maddison are in their element when other teams press. They are very press resistant and then have space to move or play the ball behind.

Yes, because no tactically superior manager has ever lost a game badly as that’s how football works.

Ange is better at other things. And he has better players.

Are you done?
Blimey , you could win the lottery and the next day say you didn’t like the attitude of the person in the shop who sold you the 100 million winning ticket

This is getting so cringy now.

Every team has fans that think the media / refs / world is biased against them.
It ain't real, mate. We're not victims of a conspiracy. In the media or otherwise

The other game was bigger involving a head to head between 2 teams involved in one of the most hotly contested title races in years and the media coverage obviously reflected this.
The Race to finish 4th is not comparible in the eyes of the wider population. And rightly so.

You say it's not true but the exact opposite is objectively true for most of them.

If you don't support UTD, Liverpool, Woolwich, Chelsea, and now to some degree City, you are going to get the wrong end of it from the media in comparison. Woolwich in particular have an objectively higher ratio of fans occupying senior positions in the bigger media outlets covering the premier league. If you believe that doesn't impact us specifically as their biggest historical rivals, then you are naive.

You say it's not true but the exact opposite is objectively true for most of them.

If you don't support UTD, Liverpool, Woolwich, Chelsea, and now to some degree City, you are going to get the wrong end of it from the media in comparison. Woolwich in particular have an objectively higher ratio of fans occupying senior positions in the bigger media outlets covering the premier league. If you believe that doesn't impact us specifically as their biggest historical rivals, then you are naive.

Explain to me how it. impacted us in relation to Woolwich in Conte's first half season or any of the other multitude of season in recent times where we have finished above them?

Explain to me how it. impacted us in relation to Woolwich in Conte's first half season or any of the other multitude of season in recent times where we have finished above them?

The media don't win games of football. They can and do help accelerate the process of a manager getting sacked or create narratives that keep them in a job. They can and do create narratives around players that create reputations which influence officials. They also amplify narratives and superstitions about clubs that fliter into the fans.

Ultimately if the manager and players are good enough mentally and on the pitch they can't do anything but are you honestly trying the media have no impact on football?

Back
Top Bottom