Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Managers are employed to get the very best out of the players at their disposal. And of course the better the player the more than be got.

Talk of tactics and much else is rubbish.

Our failure as a club is that we don't get sustained excellece from enough of our players, for whatever sets of reasons. Been like that for too long.

Ange ball or whatever crap only wotks when players are on their game

Nothing more nothing less.

Anyone who wants Ange out isn't a spurs fan. And there's nothing anyone on here or twatter can say that will change my mind on that.

:dude:

To be fair, most people on here haven’t been that dramatic in calling for his head, that’s mainly been done by the blue tick money and fame hungry Twitter mob.

The only criticism I have is the ‘cult’ comments I’ve seen on here. It’s unnecessary and childish

Didn't we use to tactical foul all the time?

I seem to remember our players just picking up yellow cards galore earlier in the season for that such thing.

Bissouma especially used to just pick up stupid yellows consistently for doing it.

A fair amount of our cards were spurious or emotional responses rather than tactical......

To be fair, most people on here haven’t been that dramatic in calling for his head, that’s mainly been done by the blue tick money and fame hungry Twitter mob.

The only criticism I have is the ‘cult’ comments I’ve seen on here. It’s unnecessary and childish

I really do try and avoid reading twitter posters comments on anything spurs-related now, coz it's full of idiots. I mainly check the official account, fabrizio romano and ali gold for anything football related. Ignore the rest.

I really do try and avoid reading twitter posters comments on anything spurs-related now, coz it's full of idiots. I mainly check the official account, fabrizio romano and ali gold for anything football related. Ignore the rest.
The problem with Twitter is that people have verbal Diarrhea and put instant reactions for everyone and their dog to read and then there are the people who over react.

Winning the Asian Cup against Son's South Korea probably tops that. IMO winning the J-League tops it too.

Indeed..... Winning the league with Celtic is like winning the league with Barca or RM........

His other trophies are far more impressive as he has elevated those teams to reach those titles and this is more akin to the job he has at hand with Spurs.

What if someone never wanted him in? :freund:
That would be me. I'm still not sold on Postecoglou, but I also don't want him out. I think the best thing for the team, and the fair thing, is to give him three seasons to see if his ideas work out. Plus, whether it is him or the front office, it seems like players want to come to Spurs in the transfer window. It would be foolish to even think about going any different direction so soon.

That would be me. I'm still not sold on Postecoglou, but I also don't want him out.
Yeah I never wanted him in and I made my thoughts clear from Day 1. I still believe the team overachieved at the start of the season and now it’s been brought back to a more realistic level. However, considering that I thought we’d be bottom half with this manager and without Kane, things are okay from this perspective. On the other hand, we’ve been pretty midtable in the last 10 games so that’s that. And we haven’t played that well either. And I’m not impressed by his tactics either.

But as much as I don’t think he’ll be a success here, I still want him to at least put us back on the right track if he won’t be able to bring a degree of success. And I also think he needs at least a couple of seasons to draw some proper conclusions. Most managers, bar some of the elite ones which I don’t think Postecoglou is part of, would struggle to implement their system in 7-8 months.

Form over the last 10 games:

Liverpool - 23pts
Man City - 23pts
Tottenham - 20pts
Woolwich - 19pts
Aston Villa - 17pts
Wolves - 17pts
Man Utd - 17pts

We'll be fine.

Angeball lives and dies on the play of the wingers. They're too slow, and they're are too passive.

I was surprised when Kulusevski was signed because he is not the type of winger the system relies on.

Given the time-frame and circumstance of his buy option and the fact that Ange had literally just arrived; I think it's an understandable shout that he's more of a 'club signing' than anyone else brought in this summer....

In the above vein; I'd suggest the purchase of Johnson poses the more pertinent question.......? Is he an archetypal Ange winger? ....If not then what is it that Ange saw in him?

(Ange had reportedly shown previous interest in Solomon who I think is a bit more in tune with what we're missing in terms of ability to beat his FB 1-on-1....... Though Ange was also reportedly very keen on Johnson too. More broadly; he's made already claim to being deeply involved in our recruitment as well.)

Form over the last 10 games:

Liverpool - 23pts
Man City - 23pts
Tottenham - 20pts
Woolwich - 19pts
Aston Villa - 17pts
Wolves - 17pts
Man Utd - 17pts

We'll be fine.
Doesn't tell the whole story, but I agree people need to take a step back and look at the big picture.

We were - unexpectedly - spoilt by our start to the season (which is a credit to Ange).

We all knew, deep down, that if we got key injuries/suspensions it just wouldn't be sustainable.

Again, for Ange to be successful in the prem, you need to give him a squad that has depth of quality.

His style of football cannot survive in this league if he doesn't have near like-for-like to bring on, in games.

If Levy doesn't accept this and provide for it, we are unlikely to seriously compete.

Doesn't tell the whole story, but I agree people need to take a step back and look at the big picture.

We were - unexpectedly - spoilt by our start to the season (which is a credit to Ange).

We all knew, deep down, that if we got key injuries/suspensions it just wouldn't be sustainable.

Again, for Ange to be successful in the prem, you need to give him a squad that has depth of quality.

His style of football cannot survive in this league if he doesn't have near like-for-like to bring on, in games.

If Lev y doesn't accept this and provide for it, we are unlikely to seriously compete.

Certainly doesn't show performances. Which we can all agree haven't been as exciting as they were when we had a fully fit and functioning squad full of confidence.

But our form hasn't been bad or mid table that some would have you believe, not at least since we lost half of our team and had mid table replacements for them from our squad stepping in. And even when it was, our performances were actually pretty good.

If we had scored, yet another, 96th minute equaliser against Wolves. What would the reaction have been?

Should we be beating Wolves? Absolutely. But people seem to be going into every game expecting us to win games without the realistic expectation of knowing that it's not how football works which in turn forms a toxic reaction when it doesn't necessarily go that way.

And then all the good moments that have happened this season get undermined because of the typical reactionary outcome of one result.

People will tell you our squad isn't good enough. Only to the moan and shout when our performances themselves aren't good enough.

We're 25 games in, 6 months in, with a squad that as you say isn't fully suited to what Ange needs. So much so that with 5 months until the transfer window opens we are already being linked with suitable players.

If we can't even be patient after our first loss in 7 league games and our first in a month a half. When CAN we be patient?

Fuck me, just last week people were cheering Villa losing because it'd mean we'd stay above them and United were nothing to worry about. And yet, one game later, we're shit, Villa are clear of us and Man Utd are going to overtake us.

There will be plenty of swings and roundabouts this season

We had an unbelievable start to the season, probably the worse thing that could have happened in hindsight because fans just went completely over the top. Now we've come back down to earth fans are already talking about 'Ange out'. It's a bonkers mentality.

Well you’re right the start of 26/30 points meant people changed expectations, which is only human nature.

But last 10 matches we are still the 3rd best team in the league. Which isn’t that shabby either. 20/30.
Just thank the Gods we are not Newcastle. Superb owners spending money, wanting to be winners.
3 wins in last 10. 8 points.

Everything is relative eh.

Ange deserves this season and next to make progress. I believe he will. I do think we need to be more flexible and clever in our play in all sorts of ways (mostly covered in this thread), and be brutal in recruitment this summer if some of our top 15 or so players are not right for Ange's system.

Certainly doesn't show performances. Which we can all agree haven't been as exciting as they were when we had a fully fit and functioning squad full of confidence.

But our form hasn't been bad or mid table that some would have you believe, not at least since we lost half of our team and had mid table replacements for them from our squad stepping in. And even when it was, our performances were actually pretty good.

If we had scored, yet another, 96th minute equaliser against Wolves. What would the reaction have been?

Should we be beating Wolves? Absolutely. But people seem to be going into every game expecting us to win games without the realistic expectation of knowing that it's not how football works which in turn forms a toxic reaction when it doesn't necessarily go that way.

And then all the good moments that have happened this season get undermined because of the typical reactionary outcome of one result.

People will tell you our squad isn't good enough. Only to the moan and shout when our performances themselves aren't good enough.

We're 25 games in, 6 months in, with a squad that as you say isn't fully suited to what Ange needs. So much so that with 5 months until the transfer window opens we are already being linked with suitable players.

If we can't even be patient after our first loss in 7 league games and our first in a month a half. When CAN we be patient?

Fuck me, just last week people were cheering Villa losing because it'd mean we'd stay above them and United were nothing to worry about. And yet, one game later, we're shit, Villa are clear of us and Man Utd are going to overtake us.

There will be plenty of swings and roundabouts this season
Yeah, think a lot of expectation was built on our start, without appreciating our squad limitations.

Hard for some to re-adjust.

Given the time-frame and circumstance of his buy option and the fact that Ange had literally just arrived; I think it's an understandable shout that he's more of a 'club signing' than anyone else brought in this summer....

In the above vein; I'd suggest the purchase of Johnson poses the more pertinent question.......? Is he an archetypal Ange winger? ....If not then what is it that Ange saw in him?

(Ange had reportedly shown previous interest in Solomon who I think is a bit more in tune with what we're missing in terms of ability to beat his FB 1-on-1....... Though Ange was also reportedly very keen on Johnson too. More broadly; he's made already claim to being deeply involved in our recruitment as well.)

This is the topic that puzzles me the most about Ange.

His football is seemingly congest the final third and play through teams with intricate attacking play. I see a lot of fans this week now bemoaning it, and/or saying it can't work in the Premier League.... personally I don't mind the approach, I think it can work, if/when it does it is great to watch, and think Ange should stick to his beliefs..... but it certainly needs the right tools to break teams down consistently. Loading up on technical quality, and electric (wide) attackers who can play 1vs1 in minimal space.

But we've gone and got Johnson, then gone and got Werner. These are just straight line off the ball transition runners, little more than that. I maybe got it if they were coming in to play as the No.9 - minimal involvement in general play, short sharps bursts in behind and in front of goal - but think it's a bit barmy to have them on the wings in this football.

Then we have this apparent obsession with Connor Gallagher. I don't think he is a bad player, he'll give 100% all day for you, cover every blade of grass, press, and is a decent box-crashing runner..... but we already have that option in Pape Sarr. And in my opinion there have been plenty of games this season where he's been negated and we've needed less running, more footballing and a bit more ability with the ball at feet. Another midfield runner doesn't seem an urgent or indeed any sort of need, for me.

Successful teams usually come about due to joined-up thinking. Intricate football needs intricate players. Obviously Rome wasn't built in a day, but we haven't got the mix right at all in the final third positions yet.

Back
Top Bottom