Tottenham Hotspur V Liverpool

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

starting a CB pairing that haven't played together yet against the best striker in the league will end well.

It's not like we've had any consistency back there all year anyway and we've acquitted ourselves fine. Plus 2-3 of them are injured anyway. Otherwise, Vertonghen is obvious first choice. I'll take the matchup over continuity in this case. Vlad (if fit) and Capoue have the athleticism to attempt to knock Suarez off his game.

Then bring back Daws to combat Osvaldo/Lambert and whatever lump West Ham puts up top. That's the beauty of all the depth that we have now, we have a variety of players who do different things so we can tailor our lineups to whatever opponent we play.

For playing a possession based team with a quick striker like Liverpool I think playing a guy like Capoue who had four interceptions last game makes sense.

……...Lloris
.Vlad Dawson Capoue
Walker…………
…….…Townsend
…………... Sandro

. Paulinho ……... Dembele
……...……..Holtby
……
……….Soldado

Lennon Lamela Siggurdson all to come on
Take it easy with me. It was just an idea?

Hull played similar last night to quite good effect. Wigan in prior seasons of course.

The problem is the players tend to sit deep to defend in numbers, and so it becomes all about the counter attack - but if the wing backs are pinned as well you basically become toothless.

Last night was a good example. First half Swansea couldnt handle it and Hull looked fully deserving for their lead (and more). Second half Swansea upped the tempo a bit and suddenly Hull cant get out of their own half for lengthly periods, defending deeper and deeper (how 'old Spurs' is that?)

On balance a draw was fair, but point being that formation was only useful while Swansea were unprepared for it.

Could be a good thing to switch to to throw games on their head, but for me its not a starting formation.

Nothing unusual from AVB, he will be safety first then up the tempo towards half time, maintain quick start to second half. Once in front sit back then try any dominate from 80 min. He will have it measured, staged only that Rodgers will be doing same but with the message - gjve it to Suarez.

Nobody seems to worried about coutinho? IMO him and gerrard are making that team tick currently. Awesome Gerrard is out now we just need to contain coutinho, possibly even allen, and in doing so we stop the supply to suarez. we dont need to worry about suarez if he doesnt get the ball, just like teams don't worry about Soldado cos he never gets the ball. prevention is better than cure right!!

……...Lloris
.Vlad Dawson Capoue
Walker…………
…….…Townsend
…………... Sandro

. Paulinho ……... Dembele
……...……..Holtby
……
……….Soldado

I have also been giving this kind of formation thought of late. With injuries we want our best 11 on the pitch even if 1 or 2 are out of position. My personal lineup was slightly different but same idea.

...............lloris
kaboul.....vlad.....capoue
walker.................townsend
paulinho....sandro...dembele
...........lamela
....................soldado

No worries about Sterling?

Kid's gotta have the best set of lungs ever, fucking everywhere, always moving and fighting for possession, pacey. Striking, meh, but everything else is pretty damn impressive in my book. Always gets the ball or whistle.

Also creates a lot of chances, especially in the West Ham game, meh, but, something we certainly weren't able to do.

Lloris
Walker Capoue Vlad Naughton (I just don't fancy Dawson v Suarez)
Sando Dembele Holtby (Dembro parntership dominates top sides, Hotlby is buzzing atm)
Lennon Lamela (Lennon must play, so much better with him in the side. Lamela/townsend/chadli. Im easy on this side.)
Defoe (Looked sharp against Sunderland, no reason to drop)

Kid's gotta have the best set of lungs ever, fucking everywhere, always moving and fighting for possession, pacey. Striking, meh, but everything else is pretty damn impressive in my book. Always gets the ball or whistle.

Also creates a lot of chances, especially in the West Ham game, meh, but, something we certainly weren't able to do.
Just a shit Aaron Lennon

Our best XI includes Dawson

here's a great stat from the OS today

We've only lost six of the last 42 PL matches Michael Dawson has started.

I expect Daws to captain us, as usual, on Sunday

Rose Eriksen and Ade were in the training pix today apparently

I wonder if any will start v Pool, probably not.

Apparently Vlad didn't train nor did Verts who surely won't play v Pool or West Ham.

Pool have got some good players, so have we. They have one who's on a different planet to all the others who will be on the pitch, agreed. When Hugo's at his best though, he's our world class player, let's hope he is right at the top of his game. I expect Pool to concede, so a clean sheet should win it for us.

I'm really looking forward to this game, and just hope our fans in the ground are 'proper up for it'.

was worried about this game but with gerrard and henderson out i´m much more confident. I just hope to god at least one of chiriches or kaboul are fit enough to play. Think Capoue was ace at centre back at sunderland but this is a very different prospect altogether.

My instructions would be for sandro to kick suarez in the ankle any time he goes anywhere in the final third. keep the ball away from him and we have a shot. Hell, with our strong possession game we may even be able to tempt him into a rash challenge or two and see the obligatory scouse red card at the lane

Just bake in the fact that West Ham only play well against us, ONLY, Andy Carroll will be back for his one game a season against us you watch

……...Lloris
.Vlad Dawson Capoue
Walker…………
…….…Townsend
…………... Sandro

. Paulinho ……... Dembele
……...……..Holtby
……
……….Soldado

Personally I'd love this, and think it would be excellent against Liverpool's depleted midfield.

Our best XI includes Dawson

here's a great stat from the OS today

We've only lost six of the last 42 PL matches Michael Dawson has started.

I expect Daws to captain us, as usual, on Sunday

Rose Eriksen and Ade were in the training pix today apparently

I wonder if any will start v Pool, probably not.

Apparently Vlad didn't train nor did Verts who surely won't play v Pool or West Ham.

Find me how many of those were wins. And how many were draws due to a shoddy mistake?

:troll:

Find me how many of those were wins. And how many were draws due to a shoddy mistake?

:troll:
I leave that to your research :) Actually awhile back I did some research on this, and our ppg increased significantly with the return of Daws, compared to the start of last season when AVB stupidly dropped Daws, doubtless to much cheering from many wrong-thinking Spurs fans,

The stats definitely indicate we are more successful with Daws in the team. Of course there can be other factors, but if Daws was as poor as many Spurs fans make him out to be, it's unlikely that we'd do so much better with him than without him.He's our captain and one of our first choice CBs for good reason, he's a major asset to the club.

I'm so pleased it will be him in defence and not, for example, Vlad and Cap v Pool. I like those two players, but not at the expense of Dawson.

Nobody seems to worried about coutinho? IMO him and gerrard are making that team tick currently. Awesome Gerrard is out now we just need to contain coutinho, possibly even allen, and in doing so we stop the supply to suarez. we dont need to worry about suarez if he doesnt get the ball, just like teams don't worry about Soldado cos he never gets the ball. prevention is better than cure right!!

Sorry cant agree with that, Saurez is the type of player who will come and get the ball and make his own goals out of nothing - Soldado doesn't do that,

Back
Top Bottom