Everton - Spurs - Feb 3rd - 12:30pm KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is where I am confused. Easy I know . But aren’t we supposed to have bought an amazing defensive pair? Yet we ship goals like it’s the natural order of things.
To quote some American, attack wins games, defence wins championships.
Best defensive record in the EPL currently, the top 3 sides.

We've conceded 13 goals when Romero and van de Ven have completed 90 minutes together (12 games) with 5 of those goals coming from set pieces.

I imagine not having a spell of playing full backs at centre back would probably have helped out tremendously.

People bringing up our defense after the Everton game is a bit odd. They created sweet fuck all against us besides set pieces, which is a structural thing. Even then, the first goal was a foul.

With so many of our own fans burying their heads in the sand every time we throw points away in such a soft bellied fashion I think this club fully deserves the 'Spursy' tag we've been saddled with....

Happy Clappers. = .The enemy of Ambition and the harbingers of Mediocrity
But whiners like yourself shows ambition?

Error...No

I certainly don't remember EVERYONE saying they'd be happy with 7th or 8th.

Maybe a few losers who are happy to settle for mediocrity but certainly not everyone.

No European football. No domestic cup runs. And a 7th / 8th place finish!!!!!

That would be an absolutely shocking, appalling, under achievement for the 4th richest and most profitable football club in the county.....regardless of the brand of football on offer
A few losers ?!?

The general feeling was that we needed a total overhaul after conte and that if we were to move to a more attacking playing style, a lot of that squad would have to be moved on and replaced.

I think you’re suffering from short term memory loss my friend. Pep, Klopp and even Artetas brand of football were not done in 6 months of work with the squad.

I’m enjoying the transition this season. Will enjoy it more as we go along seeing the squad improve

I don’t think it’s the players that’s the problem, it’s how we are setting ourselves up to play that is making us easy to create chances against. Because Ange sets his teams up to play on a certain way & rarely deviates from that, opposition managers set up their teams to exploit the gaps that we leave.
For most of the game, Udogie & Porro are playing as an inside left & inside right which leaves hugs gaps down both flanks. If play then breaks down, the opposing teams always look to exploit the wide areas which in turn pulls our 2 CH’s out of position as they have to go out wide to cover leaving gaps in the centre of the pitch.
We need to find that middle ground where we tighten up a bit & not being so gun ho when we have possession & we are attacking

This is where I am confused. Easy I know . But aren’t we supposed to have bought an amazing defensive pair? Yet we ship goals like it’s the natural order of things.
To quote some American, attack wins games, defence wins championships.
Best defensive record in the EPL currently, the top 3 sides.

Defending isn't just down to your defensive pair or the backline or the keeper, just like attacking isn't just down to your forwards.

77% possession yesterday is probably one of the lowest of the season, it means we couldn't keep the ball and kept giving it away, if you do that then you put pressure on yourselves and concede chances.

That's the story of our season, we've given away silly goals due to individual errors or lack of concentration this is down to personel and experience and also a host of unprecedented injuries to key players and Intl call ups has caused major disruption.

This season actually reminds me of Poch's first season a bit, we let in a crazy amount of goals because we couldn't get our pressing structure right and we were tiring a lot, we then went onto have one of the best defences in the league.

It is concerning but expected nonetheless, we've made good progress under Ange and because we are fighting for top4 people forget that we are still in our debut season so in that context we are doing well.

A few losers ?!?

The general feeling was that we needed a total overhaul after conte and that if we were to move to a more attacking playing style, a lot of that squad would have to be moved on and replaced.

I think you’re suffering from short term memory loss my friend. Pep, Klopp and even Artetas brand of football were not done in 6 months of work with the squad.

I’m enjoying the transition this season. Will enjoy it more as we go along seeing the squad improve

Surely to Fuck even the most happy clapping, easy going, glass half full, optimistic, never critical fan would be disappointed with a 7th or 8th place finish, on the back of no European football, and with early exits from both domestic cup competitions......

Please tell me I'm not wrong :avbcringe:

Airfixx Airfixx . Please tell me on not wrong, mate.

Surely to Fuck even the most happy clapping, easy going, glass half full, optimistic, never critical fan would be disappointed with a 7th or 8th place finish, on the back of no European football, and with early exits from both domestic cup competitions......

Please tell me I'm not wrong :avbcringe:

Airfixx Airfixx . Please tell me on not wrong, mate.
No one wanted early exits from the cups. Getting city in the 4th round was a killer.

Just think of the context and bigger picture - the amount of change we’ve been through and more still to come.

We’re doing ok - yesterday was a rough one to take but overall we are on the right track.

Stats are stats - no matter what or how you feel

==
Tottenham have now conceded EIGHT goals after the 90 minute mark in the Premier League this season.

That tally is more than any other side in the league this term and the most they have ever conceded in a the EPL campaign.

I don’t think Skipp or Hjojberg are crap it’s just you can’t have them both on at the same time - it’s a shame Gio is made of glass as Gio for Maddison would have been a better sub , the subs were very strange but I also think Ange had little other options other than leave Maddison on but then maybe Ange knows he can’t play the full game yet without risking Injury!
The result today hurts as it’s the same again , a goal right at the end but hopefully after Brighton we will have a full squad back again and can finish the season strong - I don’t just mean results , I want to see some of that good football from the start of the season again!
Yes but it was only a few more minutes. Surely MADDs could have seen the game out? Could have told him not to track back and just hold the ball up. He could have played where kulu played who was shite and has been for weeks!

==
Tottenham have now conceded EIGHT goals after the 90 minute mark in the Premier League this season.

That tally is more than any other side in the league this term and the most they have ever conceded in a the EPL campaign.

AVB and Tim Sherwood have higher won percentages as Tottenham mangers than Pochettino and Redknapp respectively

But stats are stats no matter what or how you feel :sonpoint:

Teams have had time to work out how to get at us. We get murdered in the full back positions as ours are always central and far up the pitch.
100%!
Keep saying this we can’t have FBs tucked all the time. A) it reduces out balls from CBs who only then have BJ and Werner to pass to abd they are crap receiving the ball facing our goal with defender right up them. B) we leave do much space for opposition in those wide areas and they all the time in the world to pick a cross out. C) our play tends to go all through the middle hence why no one looks to play balls out wide.
Great example was PEH pinged ball out wide to Porro one time. He then passed and moved and got to byline to cross. Can’t remember if that resulted in richi chance in 2nd half.

==

Dropped just 4 points from those 8 goals. Gained 6 from scoring after the 90th minute mark.

Man City have dropped 6 points from conceding just 3 goals after the 90th minute mark this season.

Those are also stats.

We’ve seen under Conte etc that shutting up shop just puts you under more pressure - should keep the ball and play front foot in their half, or at least try
Exactly! People keep going on about all out attack Angeball. Did we see any attacking play after 20 mins in the 2nd half? We didn’t have a shot! I just don’t get it as in what we are trying to do with the ball. We struggle to move the ball into their final third as they pressed. Yet they were all over us in our third. How comes they could play in our half but couldn’t on a consistent basis do the same. The sloppiness is a result of all that slow passing g at the back which tend to go nowhere then one of the defenders tries to force and play a risky ball into midfield.
Which we then lose.

I thought Everton did well to find our weaknesses and their fans were excellent and influencing the ref.

Vicario had a poor game and seemed to lack confidence. Once again, as we saw against City and Brenford he was reluctant to come out and play sweeper, and more often than not hesitated and retreated back to his goal.

Every team will be looking to target him on corners now. I'm surprised the ref didn't give the foul for the first goal, but hey.....if it's allowed down one end, why didn't we do the same down the other?
Because it's only allowed at one end.

I am not going to start moaning , I would have taken tenth this season at the start as long as we stopped the Jose/Nuno/Conte ball . Ange has changed the style of football and the trajectory of the club in double quick time , add to that the recruitment seems appreciably better last couple of seasons .

Lot depends on the summer window for me , title this year was never realistic but I think if we recruit well in the summer I trust Ange to have us in the mix next season.

I am happy with things and expect a few wheel off moments to come still , I think it’s to be expected .
We were a shambles last few years and we are 2 points behind Woolwich where Arteta is lauded as a genius by the media (lol) , he has had 4 years longer to shape his team.

I am very happy as it stands , yesterday was frustrating no more than that for me , I’m certainly not second guessing Ange on tactics
Careful Ed, you're edging towards a "Levybot" accusation with that take.

Don't blame Ange, or tactics, or high line, or Hoijberg, or Harry Winks(!) This one's on me...

When Ange brought on Dragusin on 88, I genuinely thought to myself; "thank fuck we finally have a player and an option to finally see a game out ..."

5 minutes later.... Boom!

I have a feeling Radu will see a few reds and concede a few pens in his Spurs career with that 'no nonsense style'
...we're not allowed to have a player like that without getting regularly punished for it...
Exhibit A: Romero!
Not sure no nonsense! Both his “challenges” were dumb and didn’t need to do either. Another day some ref might give pen. I know his young but surely someone would have told him don’t do anything g stupid and give the ref /var something to look at.

Back
Top Bottom