Tottenham Hotspur v Brentford (H) | Wednesday 31st January @ 19:30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Basically refs in premier league are shit. Frightened of making big decisions and upsetting crowd. Said for years uefa refs are best. Clean cut decisions. Also like VAR x-ray type decision making they have. Premier league should use that.
Agreed. Best officiating I’ve seen in the last couple of seasons was definitely at home in the CL last season v Frankfurt. Excellent ref and team.

Picked up a shitty virus a couple of days back and flogged my tickets for this one on.

Probably for the best as that may just well have finished me off.

Not for the purists perhaps but personally I'll take a bit o' Angeball all day long! We must be the most watchable team on the planet right now. Especially for the neutrals.

we should be doing teams like Brentford 3-0 or 4-0 ++
Ange ball means you will always have to score more after mistakes at the back
To be fair it was two very bad errors from Udogie that gifted them the goals. Don't remember too many other great chances for them.

Those types of errors don't happen often - never mind twice in 1 game!

Outside of that 6 month period under Conte in 2022....what has Kulu really done...? I mean seriously...this season his decision making hasn't been great, not much of a dribbler...doesn't score many goals...uh.....

The only thing he is good at is holding up and progressing the ball....that isnt enough...

If we ever wanna win the league or win trophies...we have to do better than Kulu.
tottenham-hotspur-v-sheffield-united-premier-league.jpg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRlPRJxOAm4

Very entertaining if stressful game too. Great to be back though!

First half we got sucked into Brentford's tactics and struggled to create anything. 2nd half however we were much better, Ange's subs worked a treat it allowed for so much more creativity. Hojberg did well when come on.

Richarlison was my MOTM. Nice to see Johnson score considering he gets some stick.

Brentford are a bunch of cheats and that Maupay is deffo getting them relegated.

The referee was absolutely awful.

So very poor in the first half, that was unreal. Incredible for the first 10-15 mins of the second...could (should?) have scored more than 3.

I admire Ange's philosophy and that he always wants us to play, look for a pass etc, but comes a time when you gotta drop back a wee bit and when you got the ball in the dying minutes, take it to their corner flag and waste whatever time is left...instead of looking for one more pass like Kulu did twice. It sure ain't pretty, but it's much better than nearly conceding the equalizer at the death.

Hopefully the boys learn that they gotta be on their A-game from minute 1 every week. Gotta be more clinical in both boxes and cut them silly errors from our game. Then we're golden.

COYS

That was a whacky game. Loads of control first half but not a lot of penetration (matron), interspersed with mad moments of back door flapping in the wind.

Udogie was a real mixed bag. Offensively pretty good, defensively very bad all night. In between was very involved in the game.

The subs were kind of baffling. I never want to see Kulusevski as an 8, but I guess if you want to take some risks and swap some control to have more "offensive" players on the pitch I guess the Skipp/Johnson/Kulusevski re-jig is gettable (not what I want to see but gettable). I really didn't get the need to just straight swap Bentancur and Hojbjerg at the same time? It meant later on in the game you have no ability to put things back to a more safer - see ut the game - midfield. Especially as Maddison was making his first start for three months as well. And I'm not sure what the perceived gain was meant to be?

As a result, the second half felt like a bit of a chaotic mess at times. I guess if Udogie hadn't gifted them a goal out of absolutely nothing, it might not have become or felt quite so chaotic and desperate.

Kulusevski nothing. Again. Set the tone in the first couple of minutes when put clean through and bumbled it away. The rest of the game was one big fucking bumble for him.

Ange's football is definitely coming with back door issues though. We didn't actually allow them loads of shots and they only had three shots on target, but some of that was due to some pretty scary last ditch defending. Several times they exposed our system and had some very dangerous situations.

That said, there were, as ever, plenty of positives. First half wasn't as bad as some were making out, we controlled the ball pretty well, tried to press them high and turnover, keep them squeezed up, but everything was very narrow. And Brentford's tactics were looking to be paying the odd break away dividend.

That blitz of the first ten minutes second half we just blew them away. Some great transition football. After that it all got a bit messy. We had small spells of control, but also spells with no control.

Having Maddison back really helps with build up. Werner was decent tonight, some good runs, posed them some questions, played a part in a couple of goals and worked pretty smart without the ball. I liked when he lost it in the second half he raced back to win it back from the opposition player. Johnson did ok when he came on, got himself into a good place to score and seemed to be working a bit harder without the ball.

Ps: ref and VAR were utter wank again...but I guess we shouldn't be surprised at this point. We'll probably still be paying the price for that Liverpool gift 10 years from now...

There’s no comments section on the EPL Table
We are proper 4th, that’s it.
Brentford Shopping Centre has a darts shop and a Ladbrokes - get fucked!
COYS

Yeah I think the longer it goes on the more obvious Kulu at RW doesn't really work, ESPECIALLY with Ange-ball where all he needs his wingers to do is have pace for the transition, beat their man and get low crosses into the box.

I think we have some tough decisions to make on both wings. Neither Son nor Kulu are ideal Ange wingers. CF is less of a concern with Richy in this form and Son able to play there too.

I think the obvious move in the summer is you make Werner permanent and between him and Son, LW is fine for next season.

You then go all out for a game-changer at RW, no idea who that is. He then competes with Johnson.

Kulu will become a bit of a utility player unless he can reinvent himself in a more central role imo.

Probably the most divisive player in the squad (sit down for now Brennan)
Comes into his own against the better teams for me or when we're under the cosh where he holds the ball well and has this uncanny knack of wriggling away from 2, sometimes 3 players with the ball and all of a sudden creates a lot of space.
If he could cut out the dithering and even if it was just every now and again go down the line. Keep em guessing but we rarely if ever see it?
So yeah given what we're trying to achieve maybe his days here are numbered.
Seems a good lad though!

Yeah I think the longer it goes on the more obvious Kulu at RW doesn't really work, ESPECIALLY with Ange-ball where all he needs his wingers to do is have pace for the transition, beat their man and get low crosses into the box.

I think we have some tough decisions to make on both wings. Neither Son nor Kulu are ideal Ange wingers. CF is less of a concern with Richy in this form and Son able to play there too.

I think the obvious move in the summer is you make Werner permanent and between him and Son, LW is fine for next season.

You then go all out for a game-changer at RW, no idea who that is. He then competes with Johnson.

Kulu will become a bit of a utility player unless he can reinvent himself in a more central role imo.

IMO, Son can still play LW at a decent/pretty good level based off of his performances on the wing this season, but he is not the dribbler he used to be...rather have him as the striker on this team.

Kulu is a maddison back up at best IMO.....hes good at certain things but overall a limited player.

Agree that RW is a huge issue.

Was working tonight so didn't see the game. Why were skipp and rod subbed at half time? Any injuries or just tactical?
Skipp did pretty well in the first half so I think he must have had a knock.

Bentancur struggled a bit and lost his head a couple times.

Either way, the changes clearly worked and we were a lot more threatening with Kulu and Maddison in the middle with Johnson on the flank. Højbjerg put in another excellent shift imo too.

Back
Top Bottom