January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Would be ridiculous to spend that much money so late in the Jan window. Hardly anyone spends that much on players. We should wait till the summer. We have just one game a week and have enough players albeit not good ones in certain positions. However once son, Biss and Sarr are back we have good options. We could still have midfield 3 of Biss bent and Sarr pushing MADDs up
top along with son and a.n.other.
From the BBC 'gossip' page

Tottenham are considering a £50m move for Bournemouth's 26-year-old English striker Dominic Solanke. (Sun)

Tottenham may make a late bid to sign 23-year-old England midfielder Conor Gallagher from Chelsea. (Guardian)

IMO I think we may have done all our business.

So it's looking very likely we have "only" signed a backup winger on loan and a backup CB for a fairly reasonable sum.

If you isolate that from the fact everyone else is broke as fuck and can't seem to keep the lights on, is it actually a good window? Even for January?

I guess we'll find our as the likes of Sarr, Bissouma and Son come back in February. With a full squad and no cup games, we have an opportunity to try to establish who our absolute best 11 are and if they are good enough.

In some ways, adding a few more would be muddying the water for now. We've seen how adding tonnes of players at Forest and Chelsea just completely confused them both.

So it's looking very likely we have "only" signed a backup winger on loan and a backup CB for a fairly reasonable sum.

If you isolate that from the fact everyone else is broke as fuck and can't seem to keep the lights on, is it actually a good window? Even for January?

I guess we'll find our as the likes of Sarr, Bissouma and Son come back in February. With a full squad and no cup games, we have an opportunity to try to establish who our absolute best 11 are and if they are good enough.

In some ways, adding a few more would be muddying the water for now. We've seen how adding tonnes of players at Forest and Chelsea just completely confused them both.

Dragusin has been signed to compete for a starting role. We needed him in the winter but better late than never.

Also factoring in the timing of signings makes sense. We did our business early to maximize the impact of the players coming in.

Always nice to have that plan B option especially when the incoming player is established international quality like RVP and you don't need to consider sell on value. Most clubs now - even Chavs - seem to factor this into their spending and recruitment strategies. I'd say we're currently better than most other EPL clubs at this.

Hopefully we keep our best young players and build the squad around the likes of MVDV, Udogie, Porro, Sarr over the next 5 - 10 years which should see us sustain title challenges. Just need Citeh to fuck off down to L2 first!
100% We did this with Perisic too - Didn't like him that much at Spurs other than a brilliant dead-ball player he's never as good as he is when playing for his country.

For all my positivity surrounding how I feel based on what we are doing (and have done recently), it's still largely vibes-driven. So for instance this season (admittedly not until we get Biss, Sarr and Son back) I need to see us playing consistently well, as we did for most parts pre-chav game. I've been encouraged by our results with so many players out (I was mostly encouraged by how we played when we lost e.g better team vs West Ham, Villa & Man U) the only PL game we've been outplayed in this season was oddly vs Brighton their only win in their last 7 games and the Wolves game which wasn't a good watch either).

Whilst Davies & Emmerson were excellent when covering Romero and VdV, we saw vs Utd their impact in helping us dominate the majority of the game. Need to see us finish this season with some beautiful football, we've shown and I've been impressed with our resistance and competitiveness without our best players.

We've shifted some massive wages off our books this season (Kane, Lloris, Perisic, Dier, Reggy, probably 50% of Ndombele's £200k and others) and largely recruited some very young players, where we've gone from the oldest team in the league to one of the youngest in a shortish period. Always feel that leaves the door open for one very key "old head signing" but maybe we don't need that as we already have one in Son.

Neto recently came back after being out for 2 months with a hamstring problem :cool:
Top talent but far too injury prone to spend that amount Wolves would want for him.

10 g 12 a in 103 apps for Wolves.

Has good games and people get excited but he's a back up wide player on a title-challenging prem squad.

They might need to be imaginative to find the missing piece tbh. Not sure that's Pedro Neto, especially for the money they'd ask.

Had looked at HS's recent lineups and seen he wasn't playing. A bit concerning that they don't want to make use of him for the next 2 years (if he's as good as we are made to believe).

He's 16 and they aren't going to make any more money from developing him so don't have much incentive to push him over any experienced CBs they have on the books. I think we only left him there because we couldn't bring him and loan him ourselves yet.

Had looked at HS's recent lineups and seen he wasn't playing. A bit concerning that they don't want to make use of him for the next 2 years (if he's as good as we are made to believe).

Same reason we wouldn't start a highly rated youngster and continue to develop them if he was no longer our player, I reckon.

Well you can see with your own eyes this far he doesn’t look a good fit! We spent a lot of money on him apparently told he is what we needed. We didn’t spend that much money to have to develop him.

Actually we DID spend all that money to develop him. The club/Ange/Ali Gold literally said he was signed with the future in mind, and not expected to be anywhere near a finished article.

Before you ask me to post a link, no I won't. It was said/written/social media'd so you can do your own research because I do not have the time to go back hunting for it.

Same reason we wouldn't start a highly rated youngster and continue to develop them if he was no longer our player, I reckon.
2 years is a long time and I would hope he's already better than whatever rando they have at CB despite his age. If that's the case the value for them is improved performances for the next 2 years.

Back
Top Bottom