January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Seems odd to want him if they're not going to give him some game time. There will be teams out there who want Gil and can offer game time.

Beat us to the punch on the loan for Fatty... Now want to loan a replacement from us.....

Funny ol' game, Saint.

Blackburn manager been talking about Wharton today, confirmed the Palace bid rejected and that they would want him loaned back if they did sell him:

"It is my understanding that the club has rejected the offer," Tomasson said.

"You know what I think about Adam. He was a boy when I came here and I saw his talent immediately, it's nice to see his development each season.

"He's not the finished article yet but on the ball, he is Champions League level, I have trained and played there, I know what is needed. At the same time, he's developed a lot definitely.

"One day, he will go away, we know that, with his quality. I think it is good that the club have turned the offer down. It needs to be the right market value.

"If I have understood the club correctly, if they did sell him for the right amount they would want to loan him back immediately," Tomasson explained.

Venky's (Blackburn owners) have got ongoing problems with India's foreign capital controls rules which stop them investing further in Blackburn - and that can even impinge on Venkys sending money to Blackburn to pay wages or HMRC tax bills, keep the lights on etc

Blackburn itself might start to have FFP issues as its last big player sale was almost 3 years ago, with operating losses since, so now is the right timing to book a profit on player sale and overcome the ffp issue for another 3 years.

Spurs are not desperate for Wharton to come here in January, and there's merit in him finishing the season at Blackburn - he only broke into the side last season so has about one season's games under his belt, another half season taking him up to about 60 Championship games played makes sense.

So my guess is a £20m bid and loan back for rest of season - and maybe even loan of a 2nd player from Spurs might get the deal done. If they are short of a GK - Whiteman and Spurs would be probably be delighted to get the loan !

Top price I think for a similar age player from Championship was probably £26m for Alex Scott - I think everyone else at £20m or less, so if Blackburn need to sell (and I think Venky's situation gives them limited choice on a sale)

Mitoma injured.

RBZ might think he could do a job on the right or maybe even centrally.

Seems a waste of a signing and squad place for Brighton if they had no plan. Especially when you consider how good they tend to be with their recruitment.

Isn't Fati out injured too - I'd think Gil would be a similar replacement for him

Howe has actually said Newcastle have FFP/Sustainability issues so probably needs to sell a player

So no chance of players in without a sale - and sale probably of one of their best players such as Gordon ..... but not too many buying clubs around so they might feel disappointed on price they get.

And no point in Spurs loaning Hojbjerg out with only a year left on contract on his return ....
Even though we have more than twice the revenue they have, I remember some posters up until this past summer transfer window claiming Newcastle would overtake us thanks to their wealthy owners. How's that working out?

would rather he was sold but Brighton will be paying all his wages and what better club for him to showcase his 'ability' and prove he's cut out for this league.

I think he will have the same problem there. Lack of game time. Obligation to buy hopefully if we loan him there.

Edit: looking at their injuries and Mitoma, Fati, March, Adingra, Ensico are all injured.

If anyone hears from a more reputable source such as ‘random drunk bloke in a pub’ please can you keep us informed.
I'm on nodding terms with hercules's cousins daughter's hairdressers best friend and he told me that it's done and that we are also signing wharton , Eze and Gallagher this month with no loan backs

I consider this to be a far more reputable source than TeamTalk

Now pay me

Ornstein called out in an Athletic Q&A today…

Charles L asked: You said at the start of the window that Spurs had no money to spend. Not sure you’ve got your finger on the pulse of what’s going on in N17 as much as you do at other clubs…

Ornstein: Thanks for that, Charles. Tottenham barely spent on (loan signing) Timo Werner. They spent on Radu Dragusin but the year-one financial fair play cost will be more than covered by the departures of Eric Dier, Hugo Lloris, Sergio Reguilon, Japhet Tanganga, Ivan Perisic and Djed Spence (Genoa’s option to buy the latter would raise good money if activated).

Nusa is not done yet, so we don’t know the finances involved and a midfielder like Conor Gallagher could probably only be funded by a significant departure.

Is that sufficiently on the pulse?

Back
Top Bottom