Tottenham Hotspur vs West Ham United. Thursday the 7th of December 2023 at 20:15pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I trust the manager to do his job as far as using the talent he's got at his disposal, and his ethos but giving managers outsized auhtority over transfers has always been iffy.

I thought we wanted to move away from that kind of thing to a more systematic, data-driven transfers?

If the price doesn't matter why refuse to pay 100m for transfers? Isn't that what we've going on about the last few days?

Let's end it here, cos you're just dishonest, we won't agree on this stuff.

I very much doubt we'll go as far as being 100% computer driven....... The idea that they don't also have to pass an eye test or that the gaffa doesn't influence things in any way is very disconcerting.

You're (Mostly) wrong and amazingly naive. Only Tottenham get a hostile referee EVERY match. Spurs have had no penalties so far and 3 against. Spurs gave had 3 players sent off, and none against. Arse have had SIX penalties and it does not include the number of soft free kicks they get EVERY match.
Kai Havertz can lunge in from five yards away and commit a red card foul against Newcastle and not get a red!

Matty Cash brutally kicked one of our BEST players Rodrigo Bentancur off and was no red card and VAR didn't do anything. Tottenham needed him last night but he's out till next year.

Bowen gets fairly tackled by Romero he goes down screaming ref books Romero. Every dive West Spam did got a free kick but Spurs weren't getting every proper foul. Kuluchevski gets hit in the face doesn't get a penalty! The referee made West Spam win yesterday and it will be the same when you play Newcastle.

Because "fans" like you accept it things will never change.

All some do on here is moan at the players when they ain't perfect. They get nothing from the refs and nothing from the moaners on here.
What the fuck are you on about now??....we've had 2 sent off against us in one match, Liverpool ffs....give it a rest it's boring.....we're where we are because of our own incompetence, injuries and suspensions, that's it.

In the next breath someone will be returning to the notion that "sometimes you have to pay that little extra to get the man the manager wants".......... Or the more futile "Pay da ting! Who cares; It's not my money!". Then there was the whole "Vicario was too cheap" phenomena.

The fact is; if the club is prepared to spend 50m quid on a player who's already done good work in the prem and they also believe he still has a higher ceiling to reach and said player is allegedly was a top priority for the manager then there really ought to be very little to criticise in that principal.
Trotting that one out again? You have to pay a little extra to get the best players, not just give into the whims of the manager. How about not conflating me others who say different things?

It's not hindsight from me is it? I said at the time we were negotiating for him that he didn't stand out statistically or with the "eye test". The principle I'm criticising is the seeming surrender to the manager's ill-informed whim.

As I said in an earlier post, his good work in the PL was in a fundamentally different system such that there was no way to know if he would have the skills that are relevant to our current system.

Ange is not a scout, he has very little time to analyse players after all the time spent coaching and doing press. It's not like Celtic where brought a bunch of players from the J-league where he got to see them regularly.

Paratici on the other hand primarily deals in spotting talent and getting the deal done. Which is where our recent transfer successes come from.

I very much doubt we'll go as far as being 100% computer driven....... The idea that they don't also have to pass an eye test or that the gaffa doesn't influence things in any way is very disconcerting.
Again, never said 100% data-driven. I've expressed my distrust of data in football plenty of times in the past. Also never said the manager should have no say.

Trotting that one out again?

What do you mean "again"?

You have to pay a little extra to get the best players, not just give into the whims of the manager. How about not conflating me others who say different things?

If you read a bit closer I didn't attribute any of that directly to you...... It stands to reason that no-one said ALL of those things.

Perhaps chill out, yeh.

Again, never said 100% data-driven. I've expressed my distrust of data in football plenty of times in the past. Also never said the manager should have no say.

And again..... I'm voicing thoughts inspired by what you said; not pinning opinions onto you.

And again..... I'm voicing thoughts inspired by what you said; not pinning opinions onto you.
Probably should post it without quoting me then. Quote implies a response unless stated otherwise.

Probably should post it without quoting me then. Quote implies a response unless stated otherwise.

It is a response..... The response doesn't pin the "100%" thing on you though.

Besides my other post DIDN'T quote you and you still dove in complaining I was mis-representing your comments.

Seriously; chill out fella..... I thought we were just 'chatting'.... I've not been at all confrontational here.

Last edited:
I'd still take this team and manager over what we've seen for the last 4 years. Easily a better watch. At least there's more than a couple of glimmers of excitement in each game.

I've written this season off in my head. Just enjoying the football as a spectacle. I even like the risky playing short passes in our own box stuff. It's different, shows courage and skill.

I'd rather pay to watch us lose a few and win a few playing like this than how we did under Conte and Jose and Nuno.
If that Bald Bastard Cunt discovers some self-respect (long shot) and gives Ange what he NEEDS, then we can expect far more than a mixed bag of wins/losses and pretty footy.

We need QUALITY in DEPTH.

We would have still been flying if we had good cover for injuries/suspensions.

We'd be right up there.

The buzz and momentum just got cut, just like that.

Like someone taking the needle off of a record.

And we didn't have the players, to put it back on again.

I said from the start - DO NOT blame Ange when things go wobbly, because he has come into a failed SQUAD situation.

And it still needs to be sorted properly.

I will see that Bald Bastard go before Ange.

Had enough of that scumbag getting away with this.

"We've got our spurs back"

STFU, you conman cunt and do your fucking JOB - sincerely.

And people need to stop pretending they don't know what the core problem is, here.

We can have whatever manager we want, but the real PROBLEM - THE TRUE ROT - would remain:

#BaldCunt

Trotting that one out again? You have to pay a little extra to get the best players, not just give into the whims of the manager. How about not conflating me others who say different things?

It's not hindsight from me is it? I said at the time we were negotiating for him that he didn't stand out statistically or with the "eye test". The principle I'm criticising is the seeming surrender to the manager's ill-informed whim.

As I said in an earlier post, his good work in the PL was in a fundamentally different system such that there was no way to know if he would have the skills that are relevant to our current system.

Ange is not a scout, he has very little time to analyse players after all the time spent coaching and doing press. It's not like Celtic where brought a bunch of players from the J-league where he got to see them regularly.

Paratici on the other hand primarily deals in spotting talent and getting the deal done. Which is where our recent transfer successes come from.

So don't back the manager then and go against his blessings, oh okay cool.

Might want to tell the folk who insist on we have to back the manager at every opportunity otherwise we've failed him.

Interesting stance...

So don't back the manager then and go against his blessings, oh okay cool.

Might want to tell the folk who insist on we have to back the manager at every opportunity otherwise we've failed him.

Interesting stance...
Like I said, you're dishonest, no point in us having a discussion.

If that Bald Bastard Cunt discovers some self-respect (long shot) and gives Ange what he NEEDS, then we can expect far more than a mixed bag of wins/losses and pretty footy.

We need QUALITY in DEPTH.

We would have still been flying if we had good cover for injuries/suspensions.

We'd be right up there.

The buzz and momentum just got cut, just like that.

Like someone taking the needle off of a record.

And we didn't have the players, to put it back on again.

I said from the start - DO NOT blame Ange when things go wobbly, because he has come into a failed SQUAD situation.

And it still needs to be sorted properly.

I will see that Bald Bastard go before Ange.

Had enough of that scumbag getting away with this.

"We've got our spurs back"

STFU, you conman cunt and do your fucking JOB - sincerely.

And people need to stop pretending they don't know what the core problem is, here.

We can have whatever manager we want, but the real PROBLEM - THE TRUE ROT - would remain:

#BaldCunt
While I don't have the vitriol of many others here for our esteemed overlord (no not Case), I have come to the conclusion that he is out of excuses or reasons to not compete in the transfer market.

There are no excuses to not get the squad that the manager desires. I get that it might take a couple of windows still, but we have January coming up and then the summer. £100m from the sale of Harry, TV money, gate receipts, venue hire etc. etc. etc. for me mean that the time has come to put up or shut up.

The only time I've ever almost been ENIC out is when we ditched Poch and employed Mourinho. A terrible era in our history. However, I really think he's got until the end of the summer transfer window to show that he is interested in the achievements of the football club on the pitch rather than increasing the value of the balance sheet.

Until then I'll still give him the leaway I think he has earned.

Like I said, you're dishonest, no point in us having a discussion.

That is essentially the crux of what you're saying though isn't it?

All I've done for you is removed all the bullshit you surrounded it with in your message

If you're going against the manager then you're not backing him which is interesting because if the club don't back the manager the manager gets pissed off and ends up downing tools and getting sacked, wasn't that the case for the previous ones?

Unless you think you're the expert here and everyone should listen to you, I'm not sure if I can trust your word over the manager, no offence...

BTW I just read your last post, Johnson was a data let transfer - it's the same reason why Brentford (who also use the same method) were in for him but they pulled out - The transfer wasn't solely on Ange if that's what you're getting at then you're kinda wrong.

Last edited:
I watched the game last night but have re-watched for ratings purposes but only the first half so far. Johnson was wasteful and Son did very little. We had 18 failed attempts around the box to either score or deliver a killer pass. Porro and Romero for me were our best players first half although Porro was slightly wasteful. Hojbjerg was not as bad as some have suggested. I rated him a 6 for the first half.

You're (Mostly) wrong and amazingly naive. Only Tottenham get a hostile referee EVERY match. Spurs have had no penalties so far and 3 against. Spurs gave had 3 players sent off, and none against. Arse have had SIX penalties and it does not include the number of soft free kicks they get EVERY match.
Kai Havertz can lunge in from five yards away and commit a red card foul against Newcastle and not get a red!

Matty Cash brutally kicked one of our BEST players Rodrigo Bentancur off and was no red card and VAR didn't do anything. Tottenham needed him last night but he's out till next year.

Bowen gets fairly tackled by Romero he goes down screaming ref books Romero. Every dive West Spam did got a free kick but Spurs weren't getting every proper foul. Kuluchevski gets hit in the face doesn't get a penalty! The referee made West Spam win yesterday and it will be the same when you play Newcastle.

Because "fans" like you accept it things will never change.

All some do on here is moan at the players when they ain't perfect. They get nothing from the refs and nothing from the moaners on here.
Conspiracy theories abound....🤣

What the fuck are you on about now??....we've had 2 sent off against us in one match, Liverpool ffs....give it a rest it's boring.....we're where we are because of our own incompetence, injuries and suspensions, that's it.
Plus we did get away with an obvious and clear handball yesterday...

Back
Top Bottom