Rodrigo Bentancur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

least bissouma is back, Sarr probably not far off also. Kulu and Gio also shown to have quality in the middle so it's not the end of all things. Still he was looking silky as fuck before Cash tried to end his season.

Could do with shifting Hojbjerg on in Jan and replacing with a young player with similar characteristics to bentancur

Cheeky bid for Matty Cash? Can’t injure our players then.

Just make him train alone.

Fuck that about trying alone.

Make him a crash-test dummy for defenders to practice the tough-tackling.

And what is left of his legs, fans on stadium tour can take "VIP option" to slid into his chins and spit on his face.

Considering him being totally talentless dud and potential transfer fee of few thousand pounds, it should earn money back in no time.

Heard it here first!!

You're wrong again. "Petulant and nasty" is serious foul play, emotions don't even come into it.

If you're looking to take the player out, which he obviously was, then it's serious foul play. The rule is quite clear on that
You can quote the rule book all you want and I won’t dispute what you’re saying is written within that, but the application of any written laws are just as, if not more important than what’s on paper.

You will rarely find any tackles like Cash’s that result in red cards. I’d personally prefer they did, that’s just not how refs interpret and apply the law today.

He’s not out of control, it’s not studs up. The Romero VAR check before his red was worse, and that wasn’t given upon review.

If what we’re really striving for is consistency of refereeing there’s nothing wrong with Cash getting a yellow because that’s how the law is applied 99/100. If you look at, say, Son’s penalty against Brentford or Nketiah‘s challenge on Vicario, they’re cause for a lot more concern on refereeing standards and consistency.

If we won the game and Benta played on unhurt we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

Football is crazy when a player who clearly has no interest in getting the ball, in turn endangers a player and ends up tearing the ligaments in his ankle isn't a red.

But a defender clearing the ball, getting the ball but following through leads to a red and a 3 game suspension.
Elbowing Gil,was also a red and a penalty. It’s only Spurs though.

You can quote the rule book all you want and I won’t dispute what you’re saying is written within that, but the application of any written laws are just as, if not more important than what’s on paper.

You will rarely find any tackles like Cash’s that result in red cards. I’d personally prefer they did, that’s just not how refs interpret and apply the law today.

He’s not out of control, it’s not studs up. The Romero VAR check before his red was worse, and that wasn’t given upon review.

If what we’re really striving for is consistency or refereeing there’s nothing wrong with Cash getting a yellow because that’s how the law is applied 99/100. If you look at, say, Son’s penalty against Brentford or Nketiah‘s challenge on Vicario, they’re cause for a lot more concern on refereeing standards and consistency.

If we won the game and Benta played on unhurt we wouldn’t be having this conversation.
But we didn't and Rodrigo was injured so, irrespective of how referees actually interpret the laws of the game (and let's face it, you're absolutely correct that there is no consistency so that really doesn't mean anything when considering how they make decisions) how can you argue that Law 12 doesn't apply? If the correct interpretation of that law is that a red card should have been issued, maybe every other decision on a tackle like that (and I can't remember that many where it was so obvious that a player was so obviously taking an opponent out) was wrong and the law needs amending.
I actually think it's good to remind ourselves what the rule book says as that's what referees should be using, not their own interpretation of it (isn't it?) So at the risk of repeating myself,
"Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play."
For me that is precisely what happened - and whilst you and others can of course disagree doesn't that just epitomise what's wrong with the game today - lazy refereeing because if they don't apply the laws on field as written it doesn't matter cause VAR will sort it out? Sadly VAR is just as flawed as on the field refereeing because (shock, horror) it isn't the VAR equipment that's to blame it's the same piss poor referees making the same lazy mistakes with or without the video equipment to help them.
And that's indisputable as it has been proved so many times this year.

Such a shame that red card or not, it won’t shorten or revert Bentancur’s injury……..

But that is not how world works, is it.

If I go on, buy a telescope baton, find Matty Cash and just fucking destroy both of his kneecaps, I will get arrested.
Trial will be held. And most likely I would get some serious kind of punishment for that.

Will it make Cash knees repaired and him able to ever play football again? (luckly) it does not.
But that kind of punishment is meant to DETER OTHERS FROM DOING THE SAME THING in the future in similar situation.
And that kind of deterance should protect potential victims.

So... you know... maybe retrospecitvely punishing dangerous tackles could in future decrease amount of those instances?

I mean... after all this is how we operate as society. If someone gets killed, we do not just shrug shoulders and say "Well, whatever we do with killer, does not bring the victim back", do we?

This is beyond fucking riduclous now, we have to start holding refs to account.

The give all the guff about "player's welfare" but tackles where players don't get injured (Romero on Enzo) get a straight red but tackles with serious career theatening injuries Cash on Bentacur (gets yellow) or Cash on Doherty (got nothing)
It was quite a deliberate action imv probably perpetrated by Dracula whose thinking was probably on the lines of
‘They haven’t got Maddison so let’s take out their only other playmaker’

Absolutely disgraceful and similar to Pele getting kicked out of the’66 WC by Portugal and numerous others since so you’re quite correct in that something should happen to both Cash and Villa!

Cunts
I think this might be the most sorry I’ve ever felt for a player.

Benta is sooo good. He’s a model pro, plays the game the right way and has an incredible attitude. Even some of our own had forgotten how good he was in his absence.

Whilst it might only be 3 months, emotionally this is going to be hard for him to deal with in the short term. The club really need to give all the support they can.

I genuinely can’t remember worse luck with injuries for us than we’ve had just now…..
Matty Cash had better fucking watch out. Horrible little scumbag
I genuinely think they need to crack down on challenges like these... If a DELIBERATE horror tackle like Cash's directly forces the player off injured, whether he's red carded at the time or not, he needs to retrospectively be made to miss as many games as the player he injured...
If it's 2 weeks, so be it, if it's 2 months, tough shit... and if it's career ending, then that's you done too matey...

THAT'LL make players think twice before going in like that, JUST to win 3 points in one game!

I wanna see Cash banned till February.... Maybe that'll stop the fucking dirty cunt wrecking anyone else's season !

I genuinely think they need to crack down on challenges like these... If a DELIBERATE horror tackle like Cash's directly forces the player off injured, whether he's red carded at the time or not, he needs to retrospectively be made to miss as many games as the player he injured...
If it's 2 weeks, so be it, if it's 2 months, tough shit... and if it's career ending, then that's you done too matey...

THAT'LL make players think twice before going in like that, JUST to win 3 points in one game!

I wanna see Cash banned till February.... Maybe that'll stop the fucking dirty cunt wrecking anyone else's season !

Seems he's a gooner and only does Spurs players and only when he's losing to us.

If he'd been given the blatant red he should have for the Doherty challenge that would have probably stopped his impulse this time but he clearly feels like he's beyond punishment against us.

Still want blood and not just Cash. Woolwich, Liverpool, Chelsea... especially the first two

Betting is , he wont be in the squad when we play them next time.
Why would they leave one of their better players out?
We can't go in and smash him up because we will just have an immediate red card and all sorts of problems.

It's quite clear we're allowed to be assaulted every match, but as soon as one of our players steps out of line the ref is there with a card immediately.

How many times have players dived against us with no booking? Yet Bissouma, takes a tumble outside the box and bam - yellow card and off.

Chelsea spend half hour fouling our players and mostly Madisson avoiding even yellow cards. Romero goes in and bam red card. (rightly but what about them?)

Fulham, Palace, Wolves, Villa all kick the shit out of us but rarely get carded.

honestly didn't think it was a red tbh. Cunt of a player that has previous but the foul IMHO was not a red card offence.
I agree for what it's worth.

Me, Deuterz and you alone against the baying mob...

giphy.gif

You keep saying shit like this, but it's meaningless......

If we'd won the CL; no-one would have given a shit about the Mane/Sissoko penalty. It doesn't make the decision any more or less contentious.

If Liverpool would have grabbed a late goal and beat us at the Lane recently; they wouldn't have bothered to kick up such a storm about the Jota goal yet it would still have been a total fuck up on the part of the officials.

Last edited:
But we didn't and Rodrigo was injured so, irrespective of how referees actually interpret the laws of the game (and let's face it, you're absolutely correct that there is no consistency so that really doesn't mean anything when considering how they make decisions) how can you argue that Law 12 doesn't apply? If the correct interpretation of that law is that a red card should have been issued, maybe every other decision on a tackle like that (and I can't remember that many where it was so obvious that a player was so obviously taking an opponent out) was wrong and the law needs amending.
I actually think it's good to remind ourselves what the rule book says as that's what referees should be using, not their own interpretation of it (isn't it?) So at the risk of repeating myself,
"Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play."
For me that is precisely what happened - and whilst you and others can of course disagree doesn't that just epitomise what's wrong with the game today - lazy refereeing because if they don't apply the laws on field as written it doesn't matter cause VAR will sort it out? Sadly VAR is just as flawed as on the field refereeing because (shock, horror) it isn't the VAR equipment that's to blame it's the same piss poor referees making the same lazy mistakes with or without the video equipment to help them.
And that's indisputable as it has been proved so many times this year.
I think this is a fair post, and if the laws were applied the way you’re suggesting I’d have no problem saying it was a red.

But as I said, that’s not how referees apply the laws right now, regardless of what’s written down. My comment only reflect that…..

You keep saying shit like this, but it's meaningless......

If we'd won the CL; no-one would have given a shit about the Mane/Sissoko penalty. It doesn't make the decision any more or less contentious.

If Liverpool would have grabbed a late goal and beat us at the Lane recently; they wouldn't have bothered to kick up such a storm about the Jota goal yet it would still have been a total fuck up on the part of the officials.
It isn’t meaningless.

The review of a foul is based on the foul alone, not the result, not the injury.

It’s clear from reading the last few pages that both of those factors (plus the general poor refereeing decisions we’ve had recently) are affecting people’s assessment of the tackle.

FYI it was a Diaz goal.

How the hell was it worse?

It was a petulant light kick (little more than a tap) that never stood to do any significant harm.
FWIW here’s the link to the match thread at the time of the tackle.

Whilst there are lots of posts about Cash being a cunt and it being a bad tackle, not one poster in the immediate aftermath says it’s a red (one says Romero got sent off for less though).

This is how you know subsequent events have influenced perception of the tackle.

Anyway, back to work for me.

Back
Top Bottom