January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sigh, if only we took the plunge on Kelly during the summer. I know Levy wanted to clear out the squad before he brought more in but we could really, really use him.

I thought someone pulled the plug at their end.........?

(Sure he was being mooted at something minor like 11-14m.)

I thought someone pulled the plug at their end.........?

(Sure he was being mooted at something minor like 11-14m.)

Don’t know accurate it is, but some of the media had them rejecting our bid of 20m. He’s apparently out of contract in the summer so I see why we might have wanted to wait for January for a cut price deal.

Ange had also mentioned the need to trim the squad at the end of the summer window, but if there was one position we could use a reinforcement for now, it would be CB.

What is Maddison?

We need another one of those

He’s a L8 in our system. Admittedly with some license.

We have GLC who can play there for now.

We should have put the money we spent on Johnson (plus some) on Eze last summer. Now he’s signed a new contract, very difficult. He could have played L/R8 or as a Lfw

There are people like Thuram, Le Fee, Majer, Brandt. None easy in Jan.

He’s a L8 in our system. Admittedly with some license.

We have GLC who can play there for now.

We should have put the money we spent on Johnson (plus some) on Eze last summer. Now he’s signed a new contract, very difficult. He could have played L/R8 or as a Lfw

There are people like Thuram, Le Fee, Majer, Brandt. None easy in Jan.

Thuram seems more Sarr to me.

L8 and R8 have very different roles for us imo

Majer I like

Agreed.

But at least Romero and Udogie are both back together as part of that back line in three games time.
Udogie will be back for our next game, was a 2nd yellow so 1 match suspension.
Does at least allow us to drop 1 of Royal or Davies if the other is going in at CB, more than likely Davies. I think for now with Dier guaranteed to start our next 2 you can't afford to have either of the young guys starting, could be catastrophic for their confidence if we had a howler and got pumped.
When Romero is back I would rather see one of Phillips or Dorrington given a chance next to Romero, they will mess up and make mistakes but either has to be better suited to a high line than Dier.

I’m not quite sure what Sarr is really (6/8) and whether he’s got a super high ceiling. He’s a great lad with a good engine. Thuram is technically better and carries the ball forward better.

If he can develop his dribbling he'll be immense, but for now he's just a workhorse. Needs to work on his retention/shielding etc.

I’m just watching the Pslace game now. Would still really love Eze here. Why the fuck did he commit himself to a new contract at Palace? He’s too good to spend any more time there.

He’d have to up his off ball work if he came to us, but Maddison has I think, and Eze had a great attitude by all accounts.

I’m just watching the Pslace game now. Would still really love Eze here. Why the fuck did he commit himself to a new contract at Palace? He’s too good to spend any more time there.

He’d have to up his off ball work if he came to us, but Maddison has I think, and Eze had a great attitude by all accounts.

There simply MUST be a release clause.... Logically wouldn't kick in until the summer (or possibly even the one after).......

The new deal has to be about trying to just get another year or two out of him without losing him for free (whilst om his side he gets a nice pay bump).

....I wonder if it also nullifies QPRs initial sell-on clause.

Last edited:
It's too early to pay £40-50m for an 17 years old I reckon but there is something about Archie Gray...
And his contract expires 2025.

I'd much rather we went £40m in on him than someone like Kalvin Phillips. He looks a gem

Bale signed a new deal the year before he went to Madrid. There's probably an agreement that he can go next summer, maximising the fee for Palace.

I’m not quite sure what Sarr is really (6/8) and whether he’s got a super high ceiling. He’s a great lad with a good engine. Thuram is technically better and carries the ball forward better.

Sarr is definitely an 8.

Technically better than he gets credit for and really good weight of pass.

Already 2 ast and 1 goal this season. 10 GIs very much on the cards. Needs to get back to runs into the box.

Don’t really want to see him in the L8 again though, he’s not that player who links MF to the FWDs like Maddison. that’s the player we need in January.

Also think we can see now that we should take the money for Hojberg if we get it. Just not suited to 90min in this football, especially not as a 6. Let people run off him for both goals.

January now looks like this for me:

CB
L8 (8/10 hybrid) - sell GLC
6 -Sell Hojberg
L/R winger

2 of those should have been done in the summer and we might have won the game of they had been. Still, at least Levy got a summer holiday in.

Those bemoaning a lack of players cannot realistically have expected us to be so ravaged or indeed to ne effed-up by Romero's continued indidcipine.

Yesterday we lost because of a wonder goal and a midfielder (Lemina) who was better than our own. Defensively we stood up in truth and had withstood the barrage.

Whether it's January or next summer we need a striker, a quality midfielder, better than Bissouma, Sarr and Hjojberg and a central defender.

But yesterday we lost, more because our midfield and attack were not good enough, than anything our defence failed to do in my opinion.

A wonder goal and a slightly scuffed one are nearly impossible to stop, but a 2 goal lead would have made that unlikely to have happened.

I think November and December will be a struggle, and think we are now going to see our real level.

For me it's important that we get rid of the hopeless players, that aren't good enough to start or replace starters and are too old to be seen as talents that can be cultivated and get starts or sold for lots of money.

These players are as far as I see it:

- Dier
- Højbjerg
- Lo Celso
-Richarlison

Players that can accept sitting on the bench and come in when called for, I think we can keep:

- Davies

Players that aren't good enough and still young enough to be able to sell, that we need to get rid of:

- Gil
- Royal

Plus, we need to sell the dross out on lone.

What we need to buy.

If Phillips and Dorrington aren't seen as good enough on the bench and some game time we need one CB.

We also need one talanted young playmaker, a young player in Maddison, Eriksen mold, that can get minutes when Maddison is tired or injured. Can Donley be that player this spring?

Finally, is Veliz good enough to come in if Son gets injured during this national break and we are missing Richarlison already?

I think Veliz needs minutes and I'm not sure how he can get them.

Back
Top Bottom