Richarlison

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He is probably going to end up becoming a squad player and being a sub option for winger and striker. As long as he’s fine with that, I’m happy with him. The 60m fee is not his fault and he’s just not a technical enough player to be world class… he always puts in a shift if his head is right.

Go ask Daniel Levy - No one here has an answer for you.
That weird angry little Italian had to be made to feel like he was spending money. He loves that like cooked food.

He'll score. He'll contribute.

But when he goes the hate will turn to someone else.

We're top of the league. Undefeated. Yet some can't just enjoy it. They have to criticise something or someone.

The 'Yeah but...' people are never gonna be satisfied.
To be fair, they've been wrong about just about every other player we've bought, and the manager we've employed, so they need to grasp onto their last 'I told you so' hope in Richarlison.

I thought he had a reasonably decent game against CP. Was involved in much of our build up positively, got into decent positions, but have to say his finishing, when the opportunities presented themselves, was poor.

I've said it on here before, there isn't another fan base in World Football, that actively looks to hate their own players as much as ours does. Unbeaten and top of the league, the default reaction is still to dig out a scapegoat to focus their hate on.

In a vacuum, I actually don’t mind him as a squad player, but obviously the £60m fee is an anchor and we’ll never get it back.

It’s up for the club to decide if it’s worth keeping him around as attacking depth (possibly stunting the likes of Veliz Scarlett and Donley), or selling at a loss.

Ahh well, win some, lose some.

Vicario, Udogie, Sarr, Bissouma was a combined £72mil on the flipside.

wasnt great yesterday, few nice first time passes on, missed another... the header back to maddison was good and madders should of done a lot better.

another game to add max points to his PPG.... :levyeyes:

Richy’s level are the teams that he played for prior to us signing him, Watford & Everton. He’s a top of the Championship, lower Premier League level player. Let’s be honest, he wouldn’t get anywhere near the starting 11 of the teams we’re competing against. How anybody at Tottenham thought it would be a good idea to spend £60m on him is beyond me
Total hyperbole here. Richy may not cut it as a starter on a title/top 4 challenger but to say he’s a championship player is wild.

We got robbed of 60 mil for him, there is no doubt. But he’s absolutely a good enough player to play for most PL teams. Brazil don’t start English championship players in their XI.

Total hyperbole here. Richy may not cut it as a starter on a title/top 4 challenger but to say he’s a championship player is wild.

We got robbed of 60 mil for him, there is no doubt. But he’s absolutely a good enough player to play for most PL teams. Brazil don’t start English championship players in their XI.

True, but he has definitely gone through a Freaky Friday moment

If it can turnaround great, but no room for sentiment.

I think its probably fair to say he's been a little 'under whelming' partly due to last season being pretty poor for many of the players with the World Cup in the middle of the season being responsible for a lot of injuries in 2nd half of season and poor form.

He's not been a 'standout' this season either, partly because we've got players like Son, Maddison, Van de Venn, Romero, Vicario and others having very good seasons.

But it would be wrong to say he's been poor or not contributed this season - his goal and 3 assists in 10 PL games this season makes him the 3rd highest goal contributor behind Son (8 goals, 1 assist) and Maddison (3 goals, 5 assists). I suspect some individual 'man management' and maybe finishing coaching would help him increase his numbers.

Johnson coming in, if he can replicate his link up play with Son and Maddison from the Palace game, might take some pressure off him too.

I think its probably fair to say he's been a little 'under whelming' partly due to last season being pretty poor for many of the players with the World Cup in the middle of the season being responsible for a lot of injuries in 2nd half of season and poor form.

He's not been a 'standout' this season either, partly because we've got players like Son, Maddison, Van de Venn, Romero, Vicario and others having very good seasons.

But it would be wrong to say he's been poor or not contributed this season - his goal and 3 assists in 10 PL games this season makes him the 3rd highest goal contributor behind Son (8 goals, 1 assist) and Maddison (3 goals, 5 assists). I suspect some individual 'man management' and maybe finishing coaching would help him increase his numbers.

Johnson coming in, if he can replicate his link up play with Son and Maddison from the Palace game, might take some pressure off him too.
He's not useless but he's far far below the standards we're striving towards. A couple of g+a can't mask that. He has so little technique, so little athleticism, he's never gonna be good enough.

Hopefully Johnson take his spot, and after that we sell him in the summer. Should be enough to go towards some other signing that might turn out better.

Good lad but I don't want us repeating the recent era of holding on to crap players forever like we did with Moura, Winks, Sissoko etc.

He's not useless but he's far far below the standards we're striving towards. A couple of g+a can't mask that. He has so little technique, so little athleticism, he's never gonna be good enough.

Hopefully Johnson take his spot, and after that we sell him in the summer. Should be enough to go towards some other signing that might turn out better.

Good lad but I don't want us repeating the recent era of holding on to crap players forever like we did with Moura, Winks, Sissoko etc.

I'm sure Ange will assess him in the summer - but we have a number of less productive players and/or those with question marks against them that probably need moving on before him if possible such as Ndombele, Lo Celso, Sessegnon, Reguilon, Rodon, possibly Gil et al, whilst Lloris and Dier's contracts end in June.

I'm sure Ange will assess him in the summer - but we have a number of less productive players and/or those with question marks against them that probably need moving on before him if possible such as Ndombele, Lo Celso, Sessegnon, Reguilon, Rodon, possibly Gil et al, whilst Lloris and Dier's contracts end in June.
Only one on that list worth talking about is Gil... and maybe Lo Celso. The rest are obvously surplus to requirement and are not part of Ange's plans already.

I think its probably fair to say he's been a little 'under whelming' partly due to last season being pretty poor for many.

But it would be wrong to say he's been poor or not contributed this season - his goal and 3 assists in 10 PL games this season makes him the 3rd highest goal contributor behind Son (8 goals, 1 assist) and Maddison (3 goals, 5 assists).
Yep.
Facts are more interesting than opinions.

Think, sadly he allows peripherals into his mind to easily.

He is allowing worry to enter his muscles via his mind.

Magnesium in plentiful amounts would help him, relax and release this.

Expect Johnson to get the nod next game. If he can get his head right and come through this trial, he’s an excellent sub for both Son and LWF/Johnson.

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

The fee is an issue because we are going to make nowhere near our money back on it.

Nothing you can do about that now; which is why it's not constructive to shackle the player with the fee after the fact and harp on about it in every other damn breath..... We saw all this crap with Lamela.

Some of you just don't learn.

The simple fact is that the club 'own' the player and all that remains is to get the most out of them; in terms of performances and eventual sell-on fee.

We would do well to get £20-25m for Richy. The time to sell was just after the WC.
2. 100% agree with you that we should have sold Richy after the WC but we didn’t and that boat has sailed

Drop the revisionist nonsense too, chaps......

He was injured either side of the world cup and was literally just 2 1/2 months into his Spurs career.... No club on earth is gonna drop 60m on a player and then bin them off after a couple of months having just lit up the world cup. Not one.

You're playing hindsight games to the extreme here.

Lastly, anyone claiming that he's been nothing more than poor all season is talking shit.

Last edited:
Nothing you can do about that now; which is why it's not constructive to shackle the player with the fee after the fact and harp on about it in every other damn breath..... We saw al this crap with Lamela.

Some of you just don't learn.

The simple fact is that the club 'own' the player and all that remains is to get the most out of them; in terms of performances and eventual sell-on fee.

Drop the revisionist nonsense too chaps......

He was injured either side of the world cup and was literally just 2 1/2 months into his Spurs career.... No club on earth is gonna drop 60m on a player and then bin them off after a couple of months having just lit up the world cup. Not one.

You're playing hindsight games to the extreme here.

Lastly, anyone claiming that he's been nothing more than poor all season is talking shit.
Just a few points (not that I should jump in, really)

1. The club supposedly operates on a fairly strict budget in the transfer market so it's reasonable that fans will note that a large fee was dropped on a player who hasn't really lived up to it. It seems a fair line of discussion for me, on a forum message board for fans to discuss that player.

2. I agree that we won't get the fee back, irrespective of when we sell/or would have sold Richy, but that reaffirms rather than disproves points about the fee, no?

3. Who is saying he has been poor? The majority of posts seem balanced to me. My own view is he's a hard-working player and contributes (hence why Ange keeps picking him!) but doesn't score enough goals or add too much in terms of incisive passes. That's pretty fair and isn't abuse, saying he's rubbish, etc etc.

I don't really understand the nub of your post to be honest, this is a forum board to discuss players where we might make points about them that aren't wholly positive. As long as people are reasonable and balanced I don't see what the problem is. If you buy a 60m striker and they contribute 2 goals in 37 PL games it's reasonable to assume questions will be asked. Just because someone doesn't totally mirror your own view doesn't make it 'nonsense', btw.

Back
Top Bottom