Richarlison

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How about (and this will be super revolutionary and unheard of I know) we buy a player who can both run about a bit and hit the target with his shots now and again.

It's a radical plan I know.

How about (and this will be super revolutionary and unheard of I know) we buy a player who can both run about a bit and hit the target with his shots now and again.

Now there’s a plan but when we scouted him we saw how elite he was at tracking back and thought we couldn’t miss out on him🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Richy’s level are the teams that he played for prior to us signing him, Watford & Everton. He’s a top of the Championship, lower Premier League level player. Let’s be honest, he wouldn’t get anywhere near the starting 11 of the teams we’re competing against. How anybody at Tottenham thought it would be a good idea to spend £60m on him is beyond me

He'll score. He'll contribute.

But when he goes the hate will turn to someone else.

We're top of the league. Undefeated. Yet some can't just enjoy it. They have to criticise something or someone.

The 'Yeah but...' people are never gonna be satisfied.

Think, sadly he allows peripherals into his mind to easily.

He is allowing worry to enter his muscles via his mind.

Magnesium in plentiful amounts would help him, relax and release this.

Expect Johnson to get the nod next game. If he can get his head right and come through this trial, he’s an excellent sub for both Son and LWF/Johnson.
To further this aspect, of Magnesium being very helpful, as it may be seen in his demeanour, his body carries stress to readily, heavy contribution to this is from a Brain shortage of Mg.

Effects of elevation of brain magnesium on fear conditioning, fear extinction, and synaptic plasticity in the infralimbic prefrontal cortex and lateral amygdala​

Abstract​

Anxiety disorders, such as phobias and posttraumatic stress disorder, are among the most common mental disorders.

Cognitive therapy helps in treating these disorders; however, many cases relapse or resist the therapy, which justifies the search for cognitive enhancers that might augment the efficacy of cognitive therapy.

Studies suggest that enhancement of plasticity in certain brain regions such as the prefrontal cortex (PFC) and/or hippocampus might enhance the efficacy of cognitive therapy. We found that elevation of brain magnesium, by a novel magnesium compound [magnesium-l-threonate (MgT)], enhances synaptic plasticity in the hippocampus and learning and memory in rats. Here, we show that MgT treatment enhances retention of the extinction of fear memory, without enhancing, impairing, or erasing the original fear memory.

We then explored the molecular basis of the effects of MgT treatment on fear memory and extinction. In intact animals, elevation of brain magnesium increased NMDA receptors (NMDARs) signaling, BDNF expression, density of presynaptic puncta, and synaptic plasticity in the PFC but, interestingly, not in the basolateral amygdala.

In vitro, elevation of extracellular magnesium concentration increased synaptic NMDAR current and plasticity in the infralimbic PFC, but not in the lateral amygdala, suggesting a difference in their sensitivity to elevation of brain magnesium.

The current study suggests that elevation of brain magnesium might be a novel approach for enhancing synaptic plasticity in a regional-specific manner leading to enhancing the efficacy of extinction without enhancing or impairing fear memory formation.

(Prompted by a no mark scientist)

He'll score. He'll contribute.

But when he goes the hate will turn to someone else.

We're top of the league. Undefeated. Yet some can't just enjoy it. They have to criticise something or someone.

The 'Yeah but...' people are never gonna be satisfied.
We are all loving it mate. This is a forum to discuss and we are discussing Richarlison. If we want to progress and be a top team for years to come we need to have better players.
I don’t like him as a player because for a front player he’s far too untidy in everything he does. He works hard but that should be a given. Against Fulham in the first half he was excellent and probably our best player but then second half thinks he’s cracked it and tried a couple of tricks and flicks. Front players generally don’t play well for 90 mins but against Fulham he went from one extreme to the the other. He deserved to start last night and in the first half it would have been very difficult for any wide players to play as there was no space. His movement never tried to get in behind as was Deki’s on the other side so all he had was to take it in and try play which he’s not good at.
I think he’ll be better at home where there is more space because as we’ve seen against Bournemouth,Luton and last night on tighter pitches he offers very little.

We are all loving it mate. This is a forum to discuss and we are discussing Richarlison. If we want to progress and be a top team for years to come we need to have better players.
I don’t like him as a player because for a front player he’s far too untidy in everything he does. He works hard but that should be a given. Against Fulham in the first half he was excellent and probably our best player but then second half thinks he’s cracked it and tried a couple of tricks and flicks. Front players generally don’t play well for 90 mins but against Fulham he went from one extreme to the the other. He deserved to start last night and in the first half it would have been very difficult for any wide players to play as there was no space. His movement never tried to get in behind as was Deki’s on the other side so all he had was to take it in and try play which he’s not good at.
I think he’ll be better at home where there is more space because as we’ve seen against Bournemouth,Luton and last night on tighter pitches he offers very little.
And he won't start every game because we'll be looking for different solutions I get that. Ange himself has said that. He picks his team based on what qualities he wants each match and he regularly picks Richy.

I also get players have bad games and that doesn't necessarily make them bad players.

Discussing performances is obviously fine. Picking a scapegoat to constantly bemoan isn't. It's been done on here since before my time. It doesn't make it right.

It’s not Richy’s fault that Levy way overpaid for him. If the Saudis offer 40-50-60M in the summer, I’d bite their hand off. In the meantime, he’s here so may as well make the best of it.

1. Was paying 60M for Richy stupid? YES.
2. Is there anything we can do about it now to get the fee back? NO
3. Did Richy buy himself - NO
4. Is he good enough to come off our bench - I think YES
5. Should we sell him now for 20M now instead of keeping him as a bench option? I say No

He’s not at the level to be a starter in a top 6 side but he’s good enough to be a starter in a bottom half side or bench option in a top 6 side. As the 4th or hopefully 5th option in our front three, he’s fine. If he’s here next season, Richy can start in early round cup games, easier European fixtures and occasionally come off the bench in the league games to make an impact (like against Sheffield United).

I think he’s as good if not better than bench options at other Top 6 sides like Eddie Nketiah and Darwin “I also couldn’t water if I fell off a boat” Nunez - who I think cost 85M.

If you want to talk about how paying 60M was stupid - which it was - I respectfully submit that you should go write about it in the ENIC thread. But frankly I don’t see the point of dwelling on it when we’re top of the table and Brennan Johnson is about to come in and start in Richy’s place.

Last edited:
I doubt anyone would question Richarlison's effort or commitment but he cost 60 million pounds.

Nobody is being dramatic.

We need more from him or better. Means the same thing.
I don’t think you’re going to get any better from Richy - Levy and our scouting department screwed up big time here - Richy is a limited player and I doubt we’d get more than what 20M for him now.

So the question is do we sell him for 20M now or accept his limitations and use him as a bench option and focus on what he can do (understanding that he is a 20M player).

Why are people still going on about fees?

'This player was a snip'. 'This player cost X'. Who cares?

Richy is playing his role. He'll start against Chavs cos he presses and carries out his role.

Can see it happening a lot - Richy starts, harasses and presses when it's tight and then Brennan on to exploit tiredness.

Doubt he'll ever do 90mins but he'll start more often than not and will do what is asked of him.
The fee is an issue because we are going to make nowhere near our money back on it. We would do well to get £20-25m for Richy. The time to sell was just after the WC.

And as discussed elsewhere this is a forum to discuss. I am enjoying being first like everyone else but if we want to progress we need to upgrade.

The fee is an issue because we are going to make nowhere near our money back on it. We would do well to get £20-25m for Richy. The time to sell was just after the WC.

And as discussed elsewhere this is a forum to discuss. I am enjoying being first like everyone else but if we want to progress we need to upgrade.
1. The 60M spent on Richy CAN’T be spent to upgrade anymore - that money is gone.

2. 100% agree with you that we should have sold Richy after the WC but we didn’t and that boat has sailed

So what’s the point of dwelling on these two things?

We’re top of the table and Levy and our scouting group seemed to have learned their lessons and are doing better (or getting luckier) - Signings post Richy have been nothing short of brilliant Ange, VdV, Maddison, Vicario, Porro even Johnson). I’ve been pretty harsh on Levy and are our horrific transfers post Poch but we seem to have turned a corner here (touch wood) so credit where credit is due.

Levy needs to continue to upgrade/make good decisions but that’s got nothing to do with Richy.

Only thing Richy can do for us now is play a role off the bench or be sold for 20M - If you think he be sold for 20M then I respect your opinion - but dwelling on past mistakes that can’t be fixed when we’re FLYING - is pointless in my humble opinion. Water under the bridge.

Last edited:
But the 60M spent on Richy CAN’T be spent to upgrade anymore - that money is gone. So what’s the point of dwelling on it?
Maybe people expect a better buying strategy from the club. We can’t just chuck money around like confetti, we aren’t Man City. Thankfully we seem to have gotten smarter in the transfer market of late.

There’s a difference between criticism and abuse, btw. From what I can see I like Richy’s character and respect his work rate but he is at most a bench player. That is not ‘hate’ or abusive to say that. Most of the posts here are constructive. When I’m in the stadium I will cheer him like I do all our players.

Why are people still going on about fees?

'This player was a snip'. 'This player cost X'. Who cares?

Richy is playing his role. He'll start against Chavs cos he presses and carries out his role.

Can see it happening a lot - Richy starts, harasses and presses when it's tight and then Brennan on to exploit tiredness.

Doubt he'll ever do 90mins but he'll start more often than not and will do what is asked of him.
Like this.

Maddison was £40m but worth £80m surely.

Udogie was £17m but worth £50-60m at least.

Vicario was £17m but worth £50-60m as above.

It’s not Richie’s fault the fee.

Think he had a very poor game, as he allowed his head to be affected again, and the first 20mins he gave it away far too much, yet had Maddison buried the knock down, he’d be on a Goal/Assist every 110minutes this season and his chest would have puffed out.

Delighted we have him, hiwever it pans out going forward.

All the fee talk is bollocks just used as a stick to hit with or to praise who we want. It means nothing.

Half on here want us to spend big but will then complain if player x doesn't live up to it.

Then there's complaining about 'cheap options'.

Fact is our scouting and purchasing will always be hit and miss. There'll always be cheap gems and expensive busts.

What's important is what players bring to the squad, regardless of how much we bought them for.

We seem to have done just that with Madders and Johnson.

1. Madders a steal
2. Johnson TBD but probably a fair price
3. Richarlison a big overpay

Madders and Johnson are the more recent transfers under Ange - as opposed to Richy under Conte so we seem to be going in the right direction - long may it continue .

This is his last season, Johnson is definitely pushing him out of the starting eleven and Gil will be pushing as well.

The only option for him is to play centrally but doubt he'd want to be an understudy to Son.

Back
Top Bottom