Guglielmo Vicario

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm a tad flummoxed as to why Woolwich are playing Raya ahead of Ramsdale. Ramsdale has the odd howler in him but he probably got them an extra 12 - 15 points last year with big saves.

Cost them points a couple of times also.

Vicario was very highly rated in Italy before coming to Spurs. I suspect with a few of them (and definitely Madders) the Ange factor played a part.

Yeah, I don't know Italian football though, despite my Italian cousins sending me pictures of Chiesa on a daily basis.
Was Vicario rated by Italians? My cousins said they rarely watched his games so had no opinion.
This is from before Vicario had played a game for Spurs.

Spurs’ Vicario has fans in high places back in Italy​

Pagliuci, who made 165 appearances for Inter and won 39 caps for Itlay, has seemingly been urging the Nerazurri to snap up Vicario for many months.

When asked about a potential replacement for Andre Onana, the 56-year-old told Sempre Inter back in March: “Vicario is a very good goalkeeper, he will be the most sought-after goalkeeper of the transfer window.”

Pagliuci told Gazzetta dello Sport (via Football Italia) around the same time: “If Inter sell Onana for a good price and sign Vicario, that’ll be a great deal for them.

“He’s the goalkeeper I like the most in Serie A and has the right maturity now for the step up.”

Meanwhile, the legendry Buffon, who is considered by many to be one of the best goalkeepers to ever play the game, told Gianluca Di Marzio last year “Vicario is doing things out of the ordinary”.

This is from before Vicario had played a game for Spurs.

Spurs’ Vicario has fans in high places back in Italy​

Pagliuci, who made 165 appearances for Inter and won 39 caps for Itlay, has seemingly been urging the Nerazurri to snap up Vicario for many months.

When asked about a potential replacement for Andre Onana, the 56-year-old told Sempre Inter back in March: “Vicario is a very good goalkeeper, he will be the most sought-after goalkeeper of the transfer window.”

Pagliuci told Gazzetta dello Sport (via Football Italia) around the same time: “If Inter sell Onana for a good price and sign Vicario, that’ll be a great deal for them.

“He’s the goalkeeper I like the most in Serie A and has the right maturity now for the step up.”

Meanwhile, the legendry Buffon, who is considered by many to be one of the best goalkeepers to ever play the game, told Gianluca Di Marzio last year “Vicario is doing things out of the ordinary”.

This was posted when we signed him but fans were like

Blah blah blah cheap option, typical Levy etc...

Cat Typing GIF

Amazing what good scouting and having a plan can do isn't it.

Is it too late to jump on that bandwagon yet? I personally cannot get enough of this narrative.

People keep pointing out Raya and then adding Onana. But did you guys watch Scum vs Chelscum? Both of the clowns that were supposed to keep the goal clean were fully responsible for opposition goal. Raya positioning was absolutely idiotic, but Sanchez ?!?! No one mention Sanchez direct assist to Rice?

Transfers happened this summer; all 26-28 (prime for GK), signed by "top 6" clubs in EPL
Gulielmo Vicario (27) -> Empoli to Tottenham 20 mEUR
Robert Sanchez (26) -> Brighton to Chealsea 28,7 mEUR (so ~9 mEUR more expensive)
David Raya (28) -> Brendford to Woolwich; loan fee of 3,3 mEUR + 31 mEUR clause to make it permanent (so ~14 mEUR more expensive)
Andre Onana (27) - > Inter to ManU 52,5 mEUR (~32 mEUR more expensive)

And there is no doubt even for a second which of the 4 I'd pick to guard Spurs goal.
Even if transfer fees are set aside (but Vic cost least from those options).
All of other 3 have been involved in pretty pathetic high level blunders. Except for Vic....

Is it too late to jump on that bandwagon yet? I personally cannot get enough of this narrative.

People keep pointing out Raya and then adding Onana. But did you guys watch Scum vs Chelscum? Both of the clowns that were supposed to keep the goal clean were fully responsible for opposition goal. Raya positioning was absolutely idiotic, but Sanchez ?!?! No one mention Sanchez direct assist to Rice?

Transfers happened this summer; all 26-28 (prime for GK), signed by "top 6" clubs in EPL
Gulielmo Vicario (27) -> Empoli to Tottenham 20 mEUR
Robert Sanchez (26) -> Brighton to Chealsea 28,7 mEUR (so ~9 mEUR more expensive)
David Raya (28) -> Brendford to Woolwich; loan fee of 3,3 mEUR + 31 mEUR clause to make it permanent (so ~14 mEUR more expensive)
Andre Onana (27) - > Inter to ManU 52,5 mEUR (~32 mEUR more expensive)

And there is no doubt even for a second which of the 4 I'd pick to guard Spurs goal.
Even if transfer fees are set aside (but Vic cost least from those options).
All of other 3 have been involved in pretty pathetic high level blunders. Except for Vic....

Nah we should have paid up like Big Clubs do

Right ?

:D :D :D :wall:

So happy Fabio signed Vicario.

I'm a tad flummoxed as to why Woolwich are playing Raya ahead of Ramsdale. Ramsdale has the odd howler in him but he probably got them an extra 12 - 15 points last year with big saves.

Vicario was very highly rated in Italy before coming to Spurs. I suspect with a few of them (and definitely Madders) the Ange factor played a part.
Both Raya and Ramsdale are nowhere near as good as made out. £65-70mil on the pair which is insane to me.

Three years ago they had Leno and Martinez, yes they have better “distribution” now but you can definitely argue that their ex-goalies are better at the bread-and-butter aspects.

I can’t say I agree at all with that statement on Ramsdale. Good with his feet, very average at making saves. I’m pretty sure I saw his xG was bang on the amount they conceded. One of the reasons their title push collapsed with him. Raya to me is slightly better with his feet, and slightly better with his hands. Both good keepers, neither great.

I thought Vicario made a few strong saves (especially the first one) but looked a bit shakey in a few moments on the ball. Overall a decent game but he could have been punished.

He's a top keeper, I feel so safe when he's in the sticks, our defenders must feel the same - a world away from Lloris.
When were you last this confident in our back line? I’ve done over 40 years of supporting and I can’t recall being this calm about our defence.

Even with Walker, Rose, Toby, Jan and good Hugo, three of them had a mistake in them. Can’t see that with this five.

Back
Top Bottom