Spurs Vs Liverpool - Saturday 30th 17:30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Should we offer to replay the match?

• Total voters
We were good at 11 vs 11, I would agree.

As soon as they went down to 10 men though. It's like we didn't know what to do and our performance dropped. Liverpool were actually the better team once they went down to 10 men until the end of the first half, in my opinion.

The second half in general was a mess. Too narrow, too void of ideas, too many needless passes. I can understand playing against 9 men is tough, you don't train for it and it's literally you against a wall but we were predictable.

We move on. We got 3 points and got out of there and to do it in the last minute will do wonders for the teams belief. A real seismic moment I feel.

Rewatched the game and I agree.

11v11 we were the better team.

10 men turned Liverpool into peak Jose Chelsea with Salah as a target man.

They baited us into giving them chances to counter down our left.

We still had standout performances from individuals BUT

As a team we didn’t create any high % opportunities other than Son’s volley.

That’s because we are really early in the process of this team building and haven’t worked on situations like this through experience yet.

All this talk of replaying the game, should we replay the 1986 World Cup QF whilst we're at it?
Can Mendes have a free hit at an open goal at OT as well while we're at it? Imagine if that had been Liverpool!!?

Nothing should happen at Spurs’ expense or else it would set a major precedent. For starters, Wolves would then want reparations from their game against United back in August. The refs had to issue a statement for that game too. There would be a giant chain reaction of shit.

The best Liverpool are going to get is a rules change in the VAR room. Maybe we’ll even get mic’d up officials. It’s not new to us though, it’s just like how we’ve had two games in the last few years where they literally changed the handball rule after 😂
VAR has already got a little carried away with its own importance... I still think Goal Line technology should be the limit of intervention (see above!)
But anything that still has an element of human error attached to it, is STILL gonna create human error occasionally, as Saturday proved.

Does Salah or Richie get to have another go they miss a shot the first time?
No, course not, cos it's human error... otherwise we may as well just all watch an A I game played by robots!

Hey - if they want a replay, there's going to be some stipulations I think.

#1 - Any replay because of an incorrect VAR decision means that the CL final is also replayed. We were fucked over in that one.

#2 - Replay the game fairly. With fans. From the 60th minute when they went down to 9. Since we are about fairness, let them have the Diaz goal, but scrub off the Gakpo one, because they should never have had the free kick.

Then, it's still 1-1, two incorrect decisions cancelling each other out and we play for 30 mins against 9.

I'm being facetious - they had two decisions in that game directly affecting goals, one in their favour and one against. Fuck off. We've been keeping count over the years, and not just in our games. It's a disgraceful VAR call of course, but they've benefitted from fortuitous decisions for years.

Either way, subconsciously or not, we're fucked the next time a dubious decision is about to go in our favour ...

I think we should just forfeit the match at Anfield now... Cos there's no way in hell we're getting ANYTHING up there (again) this season....

Save us all the journey time & money, and just let them play against XI Spurs cardboard cutouts until they've scored enough goals they deem worthy of punishing us with!

Either way, subconsciously or not, we're fucked the next time a dubious decision is about to go in our favour ...

I think we should just forfeit the match at Anfield now... Cos there's no way in hell we're getting ANYTHING up there (again) this season....

Save us all the journey time & money, and just let them play against XI Spurs cardboard cutouts until they've scored enough goals they deem worthy of punishing us with!
The ire at us is what's annoying, but not unsurprising.

We didn't cheat. The referee team made a mistake and didn't know how to fix it. Why should we be punished or affected because of a bad call that wasn't our fault?

It's not like Levy gave Stockley Park a bag of money. Do they know anything about our chairman? 🤣

That’s because we are really early in the process of this team building and haven’t worked on situations like this through experience yet.

They constantly created overloads out wide in that first half and we couldn't handle it at times. They literally scored two goals (one being disallowed) with 10 men in that first half. They were a threat. Even going through the OMT will tell you that and everyone thought the same.

Liverpool are probably the worst team to play against if you're going up against a team with 10 men. So much pace in that attack, a huge threat on the counter. Newcastle will tell you that.

Second half we definitely went up a gear though in terms of asserting our dominance. Ange most certainly wasn't happy with the tippy tappy nonsense we decided to randomly show up with this game.

I’m getting so much joy drinking in the Scouse tears right now.

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

Knowing us, if we were to do this we’d lose the league on goal difference.

Maddison's strike that was finger-tipped around the post?

Richarlson's pass across the goal face that Kulusevski didn't make the yards to reach?

They are honestly the dirtiest team in the premier league.

I have no doubt Jones wanted to stick one on Bissouma because they know how important he is for us.

Jota should have been booked twice before his first yellow. Forearm to the face on a jump and a hack on Bissouma when he blew by him.

They were leading with forearms and elbows on aerial challenges from the start. Diaz, Jota when he came on.

Tbh they played like a Jose Chelsea team. Direct hoofs or quick counters down our left once they went down to 10.

After all that Allison was their best player and made 2 world class saves. And they still feel hard done by.

Honestly starting to think they are a cult
Think you spelt the last word wrong

Maddison's strike that was finger-tipped around the post?

Richarlson's pass across the goal face that Kulusevski didn't make the yards to reach?

Richy pass was 11v11

Maddison shot was a world class save but was outside the box so not really high %, even if hes great at those shots.

Allison was still the MOTM though, I agree.

Just saying the team could improve vs 10 and 9 men.

They constantly created overloads out wide in that first half and we couldn't handle it at times. They literally scored two goals (one being disallowed) with 10 men in that first half. They were a threat. Even going through the OMT will tell you that and everyone thought the same.

Liverpool are probably the worst team to play against if you're going up against a team with 10 men. So much pace in that attack, a huge threat on the counter. Newcastle will tell you that.

Second half we definitely went up a gear though in terms of asserting our dominance. Ange most certainly wasn't happy with the tippy tappy nonsense we decided to randomly show up with this game.

Those overloads only really happened after 11v10.

I know the disallowed goal was 11v1 but we'd have still won the game 11v11 based on what had happened at that point in the game.

This so called journalist is more Hunchback of Notre Dame than Nostradamus

His twitter feeds an embarrassing load of guesses that never happened.

25 year old wrong un stealing knickers off clothes lines is my guess.
There’s no way that can happen. The absolute can of fucking worms that will open will be huge…

And if that “journo” is as good as you say, my money says he took the pegs and left the knickers👍👍

Last edited:
I did. It was our poorest performance of the season that needed a shit load of luck to happen the way it did. From an offside goal to an own goal in the dying seconds.

We were far too slow and childish in our play. Little fucking tika taka passes between eachother against 10 men was stupid. Immature.

That last minute goal doesn't change the performance, just the result. We were a second away from everyone calling the result a joke an an abomination. That's on performance.

Obviously I don't really care now the games over and done with. We won at home to Liverpool. And I was buzzing. But the performance was poor no two ways about it. And those ratings reflect that. They don't all go up one or two just because we happened to get a lucky break.

I think this is a minority opinion

The execution isn't always there simply because the players are still learning what do and when. But the tactics are to draw the press in Spurs own half and then break through it via Bisssouma, with Maddison providing the polish. Its risky and takes getting used to but its working so far. There was some lovely one-touch short passing that did just that.

This resulted in genuine scoring opportunities: Kulu not making the yards for Rich's ball, Richarlson hitting the post, Richarlson skying it over when a better striker tests the keeper at least, Maddison' strike that was finger-tipped around the post, Son's volley. On another day they go in, but that's football.

My hope is that when/if things don't go the way of team, there isn't a pile on the manager without some reflection on the context of the magnitude of and pace of the job being done.

We matched them and they couldn't bully us so they lost their discipline. Then they parked the bus and we didn't have enough depth on the bench to exploit. 11 vs 11 with no bus parking we would have matched a good Liverpool side, probably still nicking a win with our home advantage.

Yeah I was very surprised at how poorly disciplined they were. They have 4 reds in 6 games. That has to start with their manager.

Richy pass was 11v11

Maddison shot was a world class save but was outside the box so not really high %, even if hes great at those shots.

Allison was still the MOTM though, I agree.

Just saying the team could improve vs 10 and 9 men.

And that’s fine.

Nobody should expect us to be anywhere near the finished product yet. Ange doesn’t.

What’s really great is that we’re picking up results whilst rebuilding.

Something that Ange wasn’t able to do at the start of his Celtic tenure.

We’ve all got to be chuffed with that!

Twitter is obviously a hell hole but reading the comments on the Athletic this morning and fans of most clubs seem pretty realistic about things and are of the view it happens to everyone and whilst that’s not good enough, just because it is Liverpool isn’t a good enough excuse to open more can of worms.

Back
Top Bottom