Jordan Henderson

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The difference is footballers have a short career. There's absolutely no guarantee that Henderson has any sort of future in either coaching or punditry. Those are very different skills. Don't get me wrong he's made an absolute fortune and if he has spent any amount of time in his career with good advisors or money managers he should already be set up for life, but a lot of them burn through it pretty quickly trying to maintain the same lifestyle they enjoyed as a player, but without any new funds coming in.

I'm in my mid 30's and I wouldn't want to touch Qatar or S.A. or the U.A.E with a ten-foot pole either, but the majority of my career and earnings are still well ahead of me.
The bloke I mentioned was a plasterer rending, that stuff. Left school at 17 looked at the migrants Labour laws, at the time women could drive without a man, then found out about death sentence for 'morality' reasons. He knew enough. His take home was just under 50k a year and he was looking at two times as much for a couple years. Henderson's net worth before the blood money was just shy of Twenty five million US. He wasn't in any economic peril. No matter what post playing work there was.

The bloke I mentioned was a plasterer rending, that stuff. Left school at 17 looked at the migrants Labour laws, at the time women could drive without a man, then found out about death sentence for 'morality' reasons. He knew enough. His take home was just under 50k a year and he was looking at two times as much for a couple years. Henderson's net worth before the blood money was just shy of Twenty five million US. He wasn't in any economic peril. No matter what post playing work there was.

Fucking A.

I hate this excusatory myth that people at the lower end of the wealth spectrum don't have it in them to put morals before money.

.....Those that peddle it are only speaking upon themselves; yet pin their flimsy moral fibre on "everyone". Fuck that!

Last edited:

Throw another £200k at him and he would have changed his mind

Everyone can be bought, anyone that says otherwise is just lying to themselves or out of touch with reality, sorry.

I just wish more footballers were open and honest about their motivations. I could stomach Henderson a lot more if he hadn't spent the last few years posing and instead just came out with "listen, I was pulled out of school at a young age to play football, so I'm a bit lost when it comes to politics. People should not pretend that I'm a role model, I'm a professional footballer which means I get paid to kick a ball around. This is about making enough money to set me and my family up for the rest of our lives, nothing more and nothing less."
I think this case is somewhat different (although I tend to agree with the sentiment) , he relished being a role model and a leader /captain and believed in the cause when it was no cost . It's just when it came down to it he relished the cash more.

Not sure I would be different but I would definatly expect the abuse and be embarrassed by my actions as I swim in my gold plated jacuzzi

That some people would have less of an issue with it if he was at least honest about it, about his motivations?

Unless I'm missing something obvious, I really don't know how that's a statement that is so controversial or wrong.
Slightly less but not significantly as he had been fighting the fight prior to moving. Most other players fine but not him, would get a load of shit regardless

Fucking A.

I hate this excusatory myth that people at the lower end of the wealth spectrum don't have it in them to put morals before money.

.....Those that peddle it are only speaking upon themselves; yet pin their flimsy moral fibre on "everyone". Fuck that!
From what I've read, it's often the working class and poor people who are most generous with their money.

Throw another £200k at him and he would have changed his mind

Everyone can be bought, anyone that says otherwise is just lying to themselves or out of touch with reality, sorry.
I guarantee you that if I had 25m net worth, I could not be bought. I can swear that on my mother, father and every other relative.

I just wish more footballers were open and honest about their motivations. I could stomach Henderson a lot more if he hadn't spent the last few years posing and instead just came out with "listen, I was pulled out of school at a young age to play football, so I'm a bit lost when it comes to politics. People should not pretend that I'm a role model, I'm a professional footballer which means I get paid to kick a ball around. This is about making enough money to set me and my family up for the rest of our lives, nothing more and nothing less."
Did Henderson hold himself out as some sort of LGBT champion prior to this?

I feel like I'm missing context here somewhere.

In isolation, no-one gives a shit about the size of his wage packet....

The footballing world hasn't turned on Messi for going to the US for a bazzlion dollars a week.

And therein lies the great hypocrisy in all this.

If you actually care about human rights, the footballing world SHOULD turn on Messi.

The US has violated numerous rights around the world for the last two decades. Invading countries, killing civilians, setting up a worldwide torture program etc.

Why are they any better than Saudi? Who has more blood on their hands? We all know the next world cup in the US will have none of the controversy that Qatar had either.

And before someone starts, I csnt stand MBS or his murderous regime so this isn't about supporting him. It's pointing out the rank hypocrisy

Exactly. It's like the LIV golfers. Spare us all your bullshit and just admit you've done something for a shitload of cash. Would be a refreshing change and most people could at least respect the honesty.

The footballing world hasn't turned on Messi for going to the US for a bazzlion dollars a week.
He took way, WAY less than the Saudis were offering, and has been very candid as to why. His family felt isolated and miserable in Paris and he wasn't enjoying his football in the chaotic and ego-driven situation at PSG, and Miami offered him the chance to chill, have a team constructed to his personal whims, and be lionized in what is more or less a Latin American city.

The scrutiny of fame falls less intensely on soccer stars in America, that's always been our ace in the hole as an "exotic" destination.

Being imprisoned in a luxury compound in Riyadh would suck, as hard to resist as the pay may be.

If you actually care about human rights, the footballing world SHOULD turn on Messi.

The US has violated numerous rights around the world for the last two decades. Invading countries, killing civilians, setting up a worldwide torture program etc.

Why are they any better than Saudi? Who has more blood on their hands? We all know the next world cup in the US will have none of the controversy that Qatar had either.

And before someone starts, I csnt stand MBS or his murderous regime so this isn't about supporting him. It's pointing out the rank hypocrisy
It’s the hypocrisy people don’t like. I don’t give a shit about other footballers going to Saudi, but when you pretend to be an ally for the lgbt community and then go to Saudi you’re opening yourself up to criticism.

Yes he did
Oh, lol, well fuck him then.

Stalwart military and diplomatic support for Saudi Arabia in their bloody campaign in Yemen and elsewhere of course ranking among America's geopolitical crimes.

Though, in fairness, Inter Miami (plus MLS, Adidas, Apple, Messi's pay packet is coming from a lot of sources) is not a state-backed project in the way Al-Ettifaq, literally owned by the Saudi Ministry of Sports, is.

Stalwart military and diplomatic support for Saudi Arabia in their bloody campaign in Yemen and elsewhere of course ranking among America's geopolitical crimes.

Though, in fairness, Inter Miami (plus MLS, Adidas, Apple, Messi's pay packet is coming from a lot of sources) is not a state-backed project in the way Al-Ettifaq, literally owned by the Saudi Ministry of Sports, is.
Fazz

Its easier to criticise Messi

The whole purpose of the Saudi league is to launder Saudi Arabia’s reputation, it isn’t remotely comparable.

It’s literally functioning as a propaganda arm for the country.

Back
Top Bottom