Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
This situation with players basically refusing to move on, even when they know there is no chance for them here. Got me thinking. In what other workplace environment could you do this ?

I have volunteered for some (easy) overtime this morning, Couple of hours drive, hour on site (all being well) and back home for Saturday brunch (is that still a thing)..

So, what I am going to do is email my manager tell him I don't fancy doing the overtime now, even though the customer will have made arrangement for my visit. But, I am still going to take my pay.. I may also not even bother turning up next week. Will let you know how I get on..

Footballers really do live in a completely different working world to the rest of us lot.
It’s not quite the same, they would face disciplinary procedures for not turning up.

As long as they train when they are supposed to and turn up for anything else they are contractually obliged to then short of doing something outside of work that brings the club in to disrepute, they are golden.

We don’t like it, but it’s not their problem of the manager doesn’t want to pick them forbthe match day squad.

As for moving on, it’s not like being a BT engineer for instance - BT don’t fancy you anymore so they’ve arranged for you to work for a firm in Turkey for a year - off you fuck.

I am not defending L & L transfer dealings but Spurs also had to pay the fees of Porro and Kulu, so that's around £70+m
Kulusevski is paid over 6 years. £25M spread over 6 fucking years! Stop mentioning his transfer as a ridiculous amount...

Anyone that has shown evidence of being a top attacking talent that will inspire hope among the fans.

High profile examples:
Ansu Fati, Lautaro Martinez, Vlahovic, Osimhen, Jonathan David, Raphael Leao, Moussa Diaby, Chiesa, Kvaratskhelia, Dani Olmo.

Lower profile examples are for our scouts fo identify but a relatively untested young player from Argentina that needs 6 months to settle isn't encouraging for the short to medium term.
Most of that lot aren’t coming to a team that finished 8th and are out of Europe.

I like the philosophy of getting young players like Phillips and Veliz who could be stars of the future. VDV and Udogie are young as is Vicario and Brennan Johnson.

Would have liked to have got the defender from Southampton Bella Kotchap as young but also had a season in the prem. whilst others scoffed Gallagher for me would have added goals from midfield and also quite young. Hope we go in for Toney in Jan as prem proven

Best thing about this window?

The demise of SC ITK.

Those jokers took a helluva beating this window.

Ansu Fati being the best of the bunch right at the end.

There really can’t be many mugs left willing to pay for that bollox style anymore
Yeah right - it will be bald cunt shifted the goal posts at the last minute, blah blah blah.

Don’t get me wrong, I can’t stand Levy, but those ITK cunts just hang everything on him

Good grief, the spoilt, petulant whining, the sense of entitlement, the hatred being poured onto contracted players for not following the wishes of anonymous keyboard warriors is a sight to behold.

Still, I have no doubt that the most vociferous of these will put it behind them now and thoroughly enjoy our efforts to continue our fine start to the season in seven hours time.

Maybe.

YIDS YIDS YIDS

Well, Clement Lenglet of course, but that just goes without saying. :)

More seriously, and I'm including the entire transfer window (also, as you are right to infer, probably being too liberal with the words "big and exciting"). Here are a number of interesting players Spurs either lost out on or just never bothered with (perhaps because they weren't represented by one of Spurs preferred agent groups).

My point is, how often do Spurs beat out one of the other big clubs for a player? Often times they can't even compete because the players don't want any part of coming to Spurs. And you've got situations like occurred with Luis Diaz where some other Premier League team just decides to step in at the last minute knowing Spurs can't or won't compete.

David Raya (supposedly on verge of signing, made unrealistic offer and lost out)
Pau Torres (discussed previous years, not sure about this year)
Declan Rice (never stood a chance at)
Ansu Fati (discussed, botched, beaten out by-----Brighton)
Sofyan Ambrabat (discussed previous years)
Mousa Diaby (really playing well, but apparently never in Spurs consideration)
Nicolo Zaniola (couldn't get it done previous years)
Alex Scott (outbid by Bournemouth)
Joao Pedro (hasn't met de Zerbi's expectations yet, but has looked good at Brighton in stretches)
Evan Joe Ferguson (never made a serious run at, eventually he'll end up at one of the big spenders)
Nicholas Jackson (can't believe Chelsea got him at 30 million)
Moises Caicedo (granted, what Chelsea paid makes no sense)
Josko Gvardiol (never got past the rumor stage a year or so ago)
Harvey Barnes (apparently a really unrealistic offer was discussed when he might have been available as part of the deal for Maddison)
Mohammed Kudis (don't think I ever heard mentioned)
Think you forgot Mbappe, Bellingham, Neymar, Hojlund, Szoboszlai and Doku ;)

So If you consider;
Deki - £25m
Porro - £39.7m
extract that from the money spent;

ClubMoney SpentMoney ReceivedNet Spend
1. Chelsea£424.8m£220.1m£204.7m
2. Woolwich£203.5m£78.8m£124.7m
3. Man Utd£167.4m£42.9m£124.5m
4. Bournemouth£109.9m£0£109.9m
5. Tottenham£148.7m£110m£38.7m

Which puts us at around 12th on net spend amounts these teams;

Crystal Palace£36m£800k£35.2m
Luton Town£20m£0£20m

So yeah this pretty much confirms the manager hasn't been backed and the window was a bag of shit.

Anchorman Celebrating GIF
Wouldn’t say it was a bag of shit, signed good players for the first time in what seven years? But in terms of investment, it really doesn’t correlate with ticket prices and the faux veneer of a big club.

It’s time for these bastards to go. Fuck off Lewis, get in the ground you speculative old cunt. Byrite can get to fuck too - unauthentic failed accountant, just go. 23 years and you are hated…READ THE ROOMYOU DELUDED DWARF

That isn’t going to happen. Fucks the structure of the international game. Won’t be sanctioned by FIFA or any other feds
Mate, they took on golf and won in a matter of months. They have an objective here and will threaten something big that disrupts the UEFA/FIFA gravy train if they aren’t welcomed into the CL. Will be playing in it within 3 years IMO

I said it in the Hugo thread but we seem to have players who are the footballing equivalent of Nadine Dorries . Do nothing for their money but hang around taking a wage . Hugo has gone full Mad Nads by saying he’s leaving and then staying , even she was shamed into going eventually

Shambles is an understatement

Fingers crossed that A) we don’t get a CB injury before Jan, and B) we’re working on bringing a CB to the club first day of the winter window.

Time to move on for a few months, bollock head has given us what we have got, let’s hope we scrape by and win enough games - starting today

In case you did not know: almost all transfer fees are spread of several years but it was this year Spurs took up the option on Kulu.
Now you can calm down :cool:
Then why have you said that we had to pay £70M when that's simply not true?
On top of that, the "£70M" wasn't even used to improve the squad, so that's irrelevant. I bet you were one of the people who counted Porro's fee on the january window as well, so you can't have it both ways.

So we didn't make 3 additions to our starting XI (4 if Johnson hits well)?

Sarr, Biss & Udogie don't also stand to improve our first XI compared to last year?
We are obviously in a rebuild, so what is the objective now?

I reckon with 1 game a week now another cup has gone up the Swanee we should be looking at top 4, so that next Summer we look very attractive to the better players that demand Champions League.

If we have no injuries we are OK at the back, but it is fingers crossed. My main beef is that we didn't get someone we could rely on to score goals in the Ange system ... Vlahovic was the obvious one.

Not sure of the entire breakdown but Squawka has us 5th on net spend for the window.

ClubMoney SpentMoney ReceivedNet Spend
1. Chelsea£424.8m£220.1m£204.7m
2. Woolwich£203.5m£78.8m£124.7m
3. Man Utd£167.4m£42.9m£124.5m
4. Bournemouth£109.9m£0£109.9m
5. Tottenham£213.4m£110m£103.4m

I assume they're adding the Porro & Deki deals into the money spent?

Yes. Because that's when we became liable to pay. They were (along with Lenglet and Danjuma) marked as loans last season.
Last season Romero was marked as a £42.5m fee even though he signed the season before

Wouldn’t say it was a bag of shit, signed good players for the first time in what seven years? But in terms of investment, it really doesn’t correlate with ticket prices and the faux veneer of a big club.
The incomings have been good bar a quality back-up centre-back or two.

Shifting the deadwood has been a complete cluster-fuck.

Back
Top Bottom