Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
We need reinforcements, if we can't get fees for our cast-offs then send on loan or rip up contracts.

Can't we agree to a mutual termination of Hugo's contract? What sort of fees does Levy think we can get for an old keeper that is past his best?

We finished 8th last season, teams around us are spending money, we sold our best player a week ago and since then? Nothing, nada, sweet fuck all.

It's quite disturbing.

Last edited:
We need reinforcements, if we can't get fees fro our cast-offs then send on loan or rip up contracts.

Can't we agree to a mutual termination of Hugo's contract? What sort of fees does Levy think we can get for an old keeper that is past his best?

We finished 8th last season, teams around us are spending money, we sold our best player a week ago and since then? Nothing, nada, sweet fuck all.

It's quite disturbing.

If you were paying attention you'd know that Hugo himself is the hold up.

I've no problem with a punt (eg Orban) IF it's via Ange's eyes; but people need to then embrace it for what it is...... Which they won't.

The sub-text is that people want 'guaranteed' goals...... I don't think David ticks that box either.
Anyone who's watched us since before Kane should know there's no such thing (Jurgen gets a hard pass on that)

Rebrov, Soldado (who broke my heart) et al.

It doesn't have to be marquee and it doesn't have to be a "guaranteed" 20 goals per season. We will score from other areas but the #9 needs to provide the threat in behind and in the box but also link with the wide players and the #8's. That's why Felix was the dream (which of course, never comes true)

But I'll take any Champo clogger if Ange thinks it benefits the team. That speaks more to my belief in Richarlison than anything else sadly.

If you were paying attention you'd know that Hugo himself is the hold up.
Well that's because he should have been sold on a year or two ago , when we could have commanded a fee for him and decent clubs might have actually wanted him.
And keepers like Raya or a.nother would have been cheaper than they are now.
Planning - both in recruitment and sales just hasn't been what it should have been.
Ultimately ,that's down to Levy as he employs the people that should have been putting that planning into place ( plus he's involvement on the ins and outs including negotiations )

Anyone who's watched us since before Kane should know there's no such thing (Jurgen gets a hard pass on that)

Rebrov, Soldado (who broke my heart) et al.

It doesn't have to be marquee and it doesn't have to be a "guaranteed" 20 goals per season. We will score from other areas but the #9 needs to provide the threat in behind and in the box but also link with the wide players and the #8's. That's why Felix was the dream (which of course, never comes true)

But I'll take any Champo clogger if Ange thinks it benefits the team. That speaks more to my belief in Richarlison than anything else sadly.

are we being a bit harsh on richarlison? he's no Kane of course but today, if selected, will be the first time he has started back to back games in the league for us

Well that's because he should have been sold on a year or two ago , when we could have commanded a fee for him and decent clubs might have actually wanted him.

2 years ago most fans were keen for Hugo to extend his contract as he was playing well.

We are a decent club and still wanted him.

Last edited:
are we being a bit harsh on richarlison? he's no Kane of course but today, if selected, will be the first time he has started back to back games in the league for us
Maybe we are / I am. He will never be Kane and nor will anyone else be.

My problem is that he has never shown any aptitude for the position. People can quote "Brazils #9" all they like but that is so far from our reality.

Look at the chance he had against Brentford and any professional 9 in our top 5 leagues would shift the ball (left or right) before trying to hit it. He just tried to hit it through the defender stood in front of him.

Yes, it's harsh to condemn a man on one chance but I was against signing him from the start (clouded view maybe) but he just doesn't exhibit the instinct of a 9.

He's going to get a run of games full stop. Let's see.

Re: "Just rip their contracts up".......

Some info:

LLORIS: YEARS LEFT 1 = 5m
NDOMBELE: YEARS LEFT 2 = 20.8m
DIER: YEARS LEFT 1 = 4.4m
SANCHEZ: YEARS LEFT 1 = 3.3m
REGUILLON: YEARS LEFT 2 = 5m
TANGANGA: YEARS LEFT 2 = 2.6m

TOTAL WAGES TO PAY = £41.1m

Also made an appearance on many people's out lists early in the summer:

SESSENGON: YEARS LEFT 2 = 6m
PERISIC: YEARS LEFT 1 = 18.4m
PEH: YEARS LEFT 2 = 10.6m
SPENCE: YEARS LEFT 4 = 5.2m
GIL: YEARS LEFT 3 = 6M

TOTAL WAGES TO PAY = a further £46.2m

....Never harms to know what expense one's ideas entail.

Last edited:
20 years at the club and Levy keep on trying to sell player we don't want for prices of world beaters. That's why we never get rid of the deadwood. If we took the 20 million from Ndombele last season we wouldn't be trying to force clubs to pay 15 this season. And we won't sell again, until he leaves on a free, and by then we'll 20 players we don't want at the club.

Re: "Just rip their contracts up".......

Some info:

LLORIS: YEARS LEFT 1 = 5m
NDOMBELE: YEARS LEFT 2 = 20.8m
DIER: YEARS LEFT 1 = 4.4m
SANCHEZ: YEARS LEFT 1 = 3.3m
REGUILLON: YEARS LEFT 2 = 5m
TANGANGA: YEARS LEFT 2 = 2.6m

TOTAL WAGES TO PAY = £41.1m

Also made an appearance on many people out lists early in the summer:

SESSENGON: YEARS LEFT 2 = 6m
PERISIC: YEARS LEFT 1 = 18.4m
PEH: YEARS LEFT 2 = 10.6m
SPENCE: YEARS LEFT 4 = 5.2m
GIL: YEARS LEFT 3 = 6M

TOTAL WAGES TO PAY = a further £46.2m

....Never harms to know what expense one's ideas entail.
Barring Ndombele - surely there's clubs that will take the rest of the players?

I don't believe in buying out contracts but also you have to pay the wages regardless.

You're losing that cash if they just sit on the bench getting splinters in their arse anyway.

Course it won't happen

Levy just needs the headlines "Tottenham are among the top European clubs chasing...xyz....."

We don't actually ever get them

It's the way the myth/scam/con job keeps going for the poor gullible fans that believe we are actually in with a chance to sign said player.

Apart from when we do, or course.....

I don’t need a lecture from you. I’ve supported the club for over 40 years. You’re entitled to your opinions, so no need for personal attacks. As much as I’d like the club to be competitive I don’t see any evidence of this being the case.
By the looks of it you do need a lecture. We should be aspiring to be the best team we can be rather than focus on other teams not doing well.

View: https://twitter.com/sachatavolieri/status/1692868876441194752?s=20

Levy, missing out on a transfer from dithering and taking too long to decide?

I am shocked. We are shocked.

I guess it's just as well that there wasn't a Spurs fan alive that believed Levy had the ability to sign a plyer with this type of profile...

The strange one is Orban. He's not expensive like Tapsoba or Kolo Muani. Can't really understand why the club have also decided to make him a "We Tried" transfer as well by dithering until other clubs came on line.

I guess it's just as well that there wasn't a Spurs fan alive that believed Levy had the ability to sign a plyer with this type of profile...

The strange one is Orban. He's not expensive like Tapsoba or Kolo Muani. Can't really understand why the club have also decided to make him a "We Tried" transfer as well by dithering until other clubs came on line.

Dither FC

You’re taking the word as gospel of someone who can’t even spell our club’s name correctly?

I think levy just wants to see if he can get away with not signing any more players. He'll wait and see how we're doing with Ange and then decide whether to sign anyone.

Back
Top Bottom