Ryan Mason

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I take the point you and HampshireSpur HampshireSpur make. I would just love for a manager/coach of our club to actually be part of the club - really love it as we do.

Wouldn't be adverse to the 'boot room' Liverpool had for many years...
Formed upon manager Bill Shankly's arrival at Liverpool in 1959, the Boot Room became an "unofficial institution" at the club and would produce four future managers – Bob Paisley, Joe Fagan, Kenny Dalglish and Roy Evans – over a period of thirty-nine years.

I realise football has moved on from then.
If we had a Bill Shankley to tutor Mason, I'd be for it. But I don't think we'd ever have that manager.

Easy enough for someone to wade in here and say it was Poch, but Poch pretty much stated before the CL final that he was looking for the exit.

Not just football, "company men" are increasingly rare in all industries.

I would like to see Mason grow as a manager and have a real crack at it one day though.

I have to wonder if Mason would be able to attract quality transfers. No Europe, and a coach largely unknown any where but EPL. Stadium is nice, and of course there is karting........

If we had a Bill Shankley to tutor Mason, I'd be for it. But I don't think we'd ever have that manager.

Easy enough for someone to wade in here and say it was Poch, but Poch pretty much stated before the CL final that he was looking for the exit.

Not just football, "company men" are increasingly rare in all industries.

I would like to see Mason grow as a manager and have a real crack at it one day though.
Mason learnt loads playing for Poch, and Poch namechecks Mason & Kane as 2 of the 3 players in his career who most understood the importance of building a culture at a club.

Mason has seen a variety of different cultures created by elite head coaches - Poch, Mourinho, Conte - and the debacle of Nuno when he returned to running the Academy. Hopefully, he'll take the good and banish the bad, like all of us as we're learning a new job / role.

I think Mason has shown promising tactical nous, and the ability - together with coaches like Matt Wells - to coach more flexible systems in training in a way that players can implement.

Ideally, I think we should keep him as a first team coach with an agreement that if he gets a good offer to manage a club, he can take it.

As a footnote, I remember Hoddle cut his teeth implementing his ideas at Swindon, playing as a sweeper because his fitness had gone but his talent was still world class....

Bit of a bold statement that. Can’t say I’ve seen too much evidence that says he will smash it wherever he goes as you put it.
Changed the game at HT against Liverpool and UTD, so that’s Ten Hag and Klopp.

Changed the system mid season and found a new role for Emerson and Porro.

Has worked or played under Poch, Jose, and Conte.

Already has a coaching staff that will move with him.

Changed the game at HT against Liverpool and UTD, so that’s Ten Hag and Klopp.

Changed the system mid season and found a new role for Emerson and Porro.

Has worked or played under Poch, Jose, and Conte.

Already has a coaching staff that will move with him.
Perhaps I am too hard to please then. I mean I guess you must have been impressed with the games against Brentford and Villa then. I wish him well but has not really given much indication that he will “smash it wherever he goes” for me

Perhaps I am too hard to please then. I mean I guess you must have been impressed with the games against Brentford and Villa then. I wish him well but has not really given much indication that he will “smash it wherever he goes” for me

Not impressed by Villa at all.
Brentford first half, very much so.

Coaching is a process, takes time to get ideas into a team. He won't get that time at Spurs and probably as a coach he hasn't earned it yet.

Given a full pre-season and some decent young Spurs loanee players at a good Championship club, I'd be confident in Mason doing really fucking well.

His little dig at levy boosted him way up in my estimation! Proves he is spurs and has a mind of his own - zero chance he'll be around next season now, but best of luck to him.

Mason doesn't need to leave because it's good for Spurs. Not directly yet at least.

Should go for himself. Seems ready for a Champs club or a Euro club and the experience will make him a better coach by the time he comes back as our full time HC in 5-10 years.

Back
Top Bottom