Amazing what Andros can do

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The fallacy is that most people dislike Redknapp because of results. Most people have problems with him because whenever things were going right he was in the forefront beating his own drum. When they weren't going well it was someone else's fault. When it was going well it was "us" when it wasn't going well it was "them".

Still, the worst thing was him entirely checking out on what should have been our best season since the early 80s when the England job came open. Everyone including the players could tell he didn't give a toss you could see it on their faces and they even were mentioning the stress of it openly. Then him trying to crawl back when it didn't work out.

It wasn't his managerial work it was that he was extremely un loyal, mate.

Which I have no problem with....but how does that belittle what he achieved on the pitch?

don't think it's all down to the players. They system we played in under Harry compared to AVB was more attacking and made games more open.

I'm as sick of the Harry v AVB debate as anyone else but it's so annoying when people go on as if Harry done nothing for us.

You take away the two best technical players in a team you lose a lot of the attacking play. Vdv + Modric both had an exceptional touch, passing ability and were able to find space at an elite level. With the passing game we play (or try to) that will have a huge impact.

Agree with your second point though, Harry played his part in many ways and there were good times for sure.

Which I have no problem with....but how does that belittle what he achieved on the pitch?

I think it's as simple as people disliking him and thus exaggerating the negative qualities of how he managed. He certainly wasn't perfect tactically or in regards to player recruitment so there is a lot of room to exaggerate the bad aspects.

It also hasn't helped with the comparisons between him and AVB. Redknapp conversations always seem to be brought up by idiots (not you Sammy) after a loss and people are naturally defensive of the current manager and thus people speak more negatively about him as a result.

Overall, Redknapp was a good but flawed manager but I think it will be at least five years until there will be a level and rational understanding of his place in the clubs history. For me, his legacy will be extremely mixed which makes it even harder for the fan base on a whole to contextualize especially when his departure was so recent.

don't think it's all down to the players. They system we played in under Harry compared to AVB was more attacking and made games more open.

I'm as sick of the Harry v AVB debate as anyone else but it's so annoying when people go on as if Harry done nothing for us.

Did very well for us. Personality destroyed his reputation.

Both managers just doing the best with what they've got. Was never the kind of turnover during Harry's time as there has been in the last two years. Time. There've been small glimpses this year of what we can do. Winner at Cardiff comes to mind.

If Arry didn't have a deep lying playmaker like Modric and a big game player with a great winning attitude like VDV our style of play wouldn't have been remotely as good. Likewise slip a Modric into this set up and we'd improve ten fold.

You take away the two best technical players in a team you lose a lot of the attacking play. Vdv + Modric both had an exceptional touch, passing ability and were able to find space at an elite level. With the passing game we play (or try to) that will have a huge impact.

If Arry didn't have a deep lying playmaker like Modric and a big game player with a great winning attitude like VDV our style of play wouldn't have been remotely as good. Likewise slip a Modric into this set up and we'd improve ten fold.
last season people said "where would you be without Bale" and the majority of Spurs fans would say something like "but we did have him so that point is irrelevant".

I THINK this is sort of the same as that (correct me if I'm wrong and being a divvy cunt), I don't think you can really use them 2 when comparing how entertaining the games have been.

Did very well for us. Personality destroyed his reputation.

Both managers just doing the best with what they've got. Was never the kind of turnover during Harry's time as there has been in the last two years. Time. There've been small glimpses this year of what we can do. Winner at Cardiff comes to mind.
Agree completely here, seen glimpses in a few games now of what some of these players can do and when they click together I have no doubt we'll be entertaining to watch.

last season people said "where would you be without Bale" and the majority of Spurs fans would say something like "but we did have him so that point is irrelevant".

I THINK this is sort of the same as that (correct me if I'm wrong and being a divvy cunt), I don't think you can really use them 2 when comparing how entertaining the games have been.

Agree completely here, seen glimpses in a few games now of what some of these players can do and when they click together I have no doubt we'll be entertaining to watch.

After a season and a quarter how long do we have to wait?

Bearing in mind even Ramos won a cup in his first season and Harry lead us to forth in his second.

Haha..we would if AVB didnt sell Modric

And Harry didnt just "have" players...he picked them, and the system.

Are you suggesting Harry had a stronger squad than now?

Change the record guys, we have gone round this thread in one form or other so many times, and life's too short to trawl through pages of the same old stuff.
AVB is our manager now and we should get behind him and the players - we call ourselves supporters, so let's support whoever is in charge and the team he selects.

The fallacy is that most people dislike Redknapp because of results. Most people have problems with him because whenever things were going right he was in the forefront beating his own drum. When they weren't going well it was someone else's fault. When it was going well it was "us" when it wasn't going well it was "them".

Still, the worst thing was him entirely checking out on what should have been our best season since the early 80s when the England job came open. Everyone including the players could tell he didn't give a toss you could see it on their faces and they even were mentioning the stress of it openly. Then him trying to crawl back when it didn't work out.

It wasn't his managerial work it was that he was extremely un loyal, mate.

I'm not denying he's a mercernary, he clearly is. But we celebrate Ekotto for "telling it how it is" because he openly admits he plays for money. I don't why fans expect managers to be almost whiter than white but you can bet your life most Spurs fans would take Modric back in a shot despite hitching his skirt for Madrid and refusing to play.

I'm not denying he's a mercernary, he clearly is. But we celebrate Ekotto for "telling it how it is" because he openly admits he plays for money. I don't why fans expect managers to be almost whiter than white but you can bet your life most Spurs fans would take Modric back in a shot despite hitching his skirt for Madrid and refusing to play.

Redknapp isn't a mercenary or at least I've never thought of him as such. I never saw money as the motivation for him to want the England job. If he had left for the England job normally I wouldn't have even been mad. It's the way that he was so openly chasing it and the fact that he clearly stopped giving a fuck about spurs. Weren't there quotes from someone during that period that said they were barely even having real training.

It wasn't that Redknapp wanted money or whatever, it was the whole attitude that anything good he had built and anything bad was someone else's fault.

AVB doesn't have a role in transfers besides advising on who he wants. It is beyond highly unlikely that he had any role in the sale of Modric.

Also, the starting eleven we had in 11/12 was the best we've had since Ossie, Ricky, Hoddle, and Perryman wore lilywhite. Modric, VDV, Bale, and King all in the same side. Plus people underrate how good Parker (club player of the season), Kaboul, in form Walker, and Ade (top 5 in goals and assists) were. So much talent in that side and the core was set in place and had played together. We have more depth now but that side had legitimate experienced and proven talent.

Redknapp isn't a mercenary or at least I've never thought of him as such. I never saw money as the motivation for him to want the England job. If he had left for the England job normally I wouldn't have even been mad. It's the way that he was so openly chasing it and the fact that he clearly stopped giving a fuck about spurs. Weren't there quotes from someone during that period that said they were barely even having real training.

It wasn't that Redknapp wanted money or whatever, it was the whole attitude that anything good he had built and anything bad was someone else's fault.

Definitely agree with that. He still shows no accountability for our collapse in his final season.

Is that true about barely even having real training?

if you actually believe that you are thick as feck

After a season and a quarter how long do we have to wait?

Bearing in mind even Ramos won a cup in his first season and Harry lead us to forth in his second.

how long did it take Ferguson to get manure playing how he wanted them?

it was easier back then to as you didn't have to deal with crooked russians and shieks plus there was more than on decent European competition

nowadays one bad result and hordes of fuckn numbskulls raise their heads up out the shit and start hurling it everywhere

I really couldn't be arsed engaging in any type of debate with impatient middle aged men with the attention spans of fuckn toddlers and multiple agendas pouring out their arseholes

Last edited:
Out of interest how does last seasons collapse where we finished 5th compare to the previous season when we finished 4th?

#downwardspiral

Back
Top Bottom